NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alfred Morris 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I own and am starting Alf, but his lack of pass chops (especially compared to Zeke) changes substantially how Dallas will game plan and use their RBs.  It will change how opposing Ds will gameplan Dallas too.  

That is why it is not as simple as saying that not much changes because Dallas has an elite O-line.  A significant reason for the O-line's success is Zeke's dual threat capability.  Remove Zeke, and the O-line loses some of it's capability.

Zeke's affect on the game is huge.  I bet we see that show up in everyone's numbers, plus (e.g., Beasley) and minus (e.g., RBs).

What is this receiving ability everyone talks about. He's not a good receiving back, but they keep him in for 3 downs because he's such an exceptional runner. They won't do this for Alf though, because he's not as good.

Ok I wussed out.  I benched Morris.  

I feel like Dallas might get cute today since they are without Zeke.  Seems like the speed of Falcons defense makes them more susceptible overpursuing and a good matchup for speed guys (not Morris!).  See what the Panthers did with McCaffrey and what the Bears did with Cohen.  I could see Beasley or someone similar beating with gadget plays and trickery.

I hope I am wrong.  I need to see this backfield before I can trust Alf.

Same boat here. My gut tells me to go Alfred. I really think he runs away (lolz) with the starting job today. Yes, no one on this roster is as talented as Zeke (there are very few who are in the league) but I think everyone is way over analyzing this "Alfred has no receiving skills so he's not gonna play much" scenario. Zeke hasn't caught more than 5 balls per game this entire season. Really the only way I see Alfred off the field much is if the Cowboys are in serious comeback mode, but again Alfred is the most experienced, and durable, of the group. We'll see though. Wouldn't be surprised for a 75yd/TD game from Alfred.

3 minutes ago, TwoCan Sam said:

Same boat here. My gut tells me to go Alfred. I really think he runs away (lolz) with the starting job today. Yes, no one on this roster is as talented as Zeke (there are very few who are in the league) but I think everyone is way over analyzing this "Alfred has no receiving skills so he's not gonna play much" scenario. Zeke hasn't caught more than 5 balls per game this entire season. Really the only way I see Alfred off the field much is if the Cowboys are in serious comeback mode, but again Alfred is the most experienced, and durable, of the group. We'll see though. Wouldn't be surprised for a 75yd/TD game from Alfred.

There’s a large difference between Alf and Zeke. Zeke doesn’t need creative ways to get him the ball. Without Zeke it’ll be the Dak show. I’d rather have the running back that can compliment Dak.  Which would be a RB that can catch the ball.

1613 yards- 13td

1275 yards- 7td

1074 yards- 8td

those are Morris' statlines his first three years in the league.

I expect nothing less than him to anchor my squad today (from the bench), then carry us all to the fantasy promise land.

that said, I'd gladly trade him plus a WR2 for Adam Thielen. 

2 minutes ago, Beerdown said:

Well yeah all we can do is speculate based on what we have seen.  Which for the Dallas RBs not named Zeke, isn't very much.

Agreed. i have both Morris and Smith. I'm starting Morris but wouldn't be suprised if Smith stole the show. I liked what I've seen from the limited highlights of Smith. He looks pretty damn explosive for his size and can catch the ball. 

15 minutes ago, Travdaddy10 said:

There’s a large difference between Alf and Zeke. Zeke doesn’t need creative ways to get him the ball. Without Zeke it’ll be the Dak show. I’d rather have the running back that can compliment Dak.  Which would be a RB that can catch the ball.

People keep talking up Rod Smith because he can catch the ball.

Question: How many catches did Zeke have?

Answer: Not many.

They don't use Zeke like L. Bell where there is upside for 8-10 catches per game. That's not their offense.

3 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

People keep talking up Rod Smith because he can catch the ball.

Question: How many catches did Zeke have?

Answer: Not many.

They don't use Zeke like L. Bell where there is upside for 8-10 catches per game. That's not their offense.

This won’t be the same offense without Zeke.

5 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

1613 yards- 13td

1275 yards- 7td

1074 yards- 8td

those are Morris' statlines his first three years in the league.

I expect nothing less than him to anchor my squad today (from the bench), then carry us all to the fantasy promise land.

that said, I'd gladly trade him plus a WR2 for Adam Thielen. 

So you expect him to carry you to the promise land, yet you'd trade him for peanuts?

Just now, ohio#1eaglesfan said:

So you expect him to carry you to the promise land, yet you'd trade him for peanuts?

just being silly.

mostly wanted to show his statlines, when he gets 3-down work. 

figured some folks wouldn't know how productive he was with Washington. 

Just now, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

just being silly.

mostly wanted to show his statlines, when he gets 3-down work. 

figured some folks wouldn't know how productive he was with Washington. 

Yeah he was great his first few years. When the cowboys first got him I thought it was a great move but we haven't seen much from him. 

1 hour ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I own and am starting Alf, but his lack of pass chops (especially compared to Zeke) changes substantially how Dallas will game plan and use their RBs.  It will change how opposing Ds will gameplan Dallas too.  

That is why it is not as simple as saying that not much changes because Dallas has an elite O-line.  A significant reason for the O-line's success is Zeke's dual threat capability.  Remove Zeke, and the O-line loses some of it's capability.

Zeke's affect on the game is huge.  I bet we see that show up in everyone's numbers, plus (e.g., Beasley) and minus (e.g., RBs).

It doesn't change anything with regard to how defenses will play them; you can still run the read option or play action with Alf; nothing changes.

15 carries a game behind that Oline is def solid RB2 material...Don't overthink it.

I still believe the strength of this Cowboys team is the excellent offensive line, not Prescott, not Zeke. Every time they run the ball they literally move opposing linemen like 2 yards up the field. I think Morris will do well, it's not like this guy is a scrub, he's had good seasons.