NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alfred Morris 2017 Season Outlook

Just now, the_wolfman said:

Credit to the Dallas coaches. The run wasn't working early on but they stuck to it and it paid big dividends in the second half. It would not surprise me to see a similar game plan next week. 

Game script was perfect. Redskins hold on to ball all game he gets 65 yards. Good thing Dallas plays some turnover prone teams next couple weeks

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Jj66 said:

Keep feeding him. 

As long as the Cowboys aren't trailing by too much (which you would think they shouldn't be against the Giants or Raiders, especially if they get Sean Lee back), then it would seem foolish not to keep feeding him.  He now gets a 10-day rest before the next game and then the Cowboys only need him to start for one game after that. Feed him all he can handle over the next two weeks knowing Zeke will be back week 16.

I could get super petty right now and quote all the geniuses who swore they were making McFadden inactive to "keep him fresh", or that Rod Smith was the smart pickup because of what he did in the pre-season vs. camp fodder.

Instead I'll just say congrats to anyone who held on to the right Cowboys back-up RB. Signs were there from the start of the season that Morris would be next in line.

2 hours ago, GriffeySwag said:

I could get super petty right now and quote all the geniuses who swore they were making McFadden inactive to "keep him fresh", or that Rod Smith was the smart pickup because of what he did in the pre-season vs. camp fodder.

Instead I'll just say congrats to anyone who held on to the right Cowboys back-up RB. Signs were there from the start of the season that Morris would be next in line.

Will you also quote all the people who started Morris for the last 3 weeks and lost because of how terrible he was, then finally gave up, benched (or dropped) him, and will lose again because of it this week?  Morris was only started in 29% of leagues and he's only owned in 68%.

1 win doesn't make up for 3 losses.  Tonight was a nice game for Morris.  But it sure as hell wasn't worth 12 weeks of a wasted roster spot.  More importantly, can you actually depend on that workload again next week, or was this all game script of WAS sleep walking for the first half, and the DAL DST TD return?

Sure, it was better than 10 weeks of a wasted roster spot for nothing (DMC), but being the lesser loser, doesn't actually make you a winner.

Hell, the argument could even be made that DMC was more valuable to someones Win/Loss column than Morris, because at max he was started 1 week, and didn't cost you any more games.  How many games did Morris cost people, and how many people even got to benefit from tonight's game?  Well... 29% obviously, lol.

Not an argument I would waste my time debating by any means, but from a logistics point of view, Morris is still at a net negative on his actual effect on someone's season in my opinion.  Perhaps the next 2 weeks can change that.  I despise handcuffing.

4 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Will you also quote all the people who started Morris for the last 3 weeks and lost because of how terrible he was, then finally gave up, benched (or dropped) him, and will lose again because of it this week?  Morris was only started in 29% of leagues and he's only owned in 68%.

1 win doesn't make up for 3 losses.  Tonight was a nice game for Morris.  But it sure as hell wasn't worth 12 weeks of a wasted roster spot.  More importantly, can you actually depend on that workload again next week, or was this all game script of WAS sleep walking for the first half, and the DAL DST TD return?

Sure, it was better than 10 weeks of a wasted roster spot for nothing (DMC), but being the lesser loser, doesn't actually make you a winner.

Hell, the argument could even be made that DMC was more valuable to someones Win/Loss column than Morris, because at max he was started 1 week, and didn't cost you any more games.  How many games did Morris cost people, and how many people even got to benefit from tonight's game?  Well... 29% obviously, lol.

Not an argument I would waste my time debating by any means, but from a logistics point of view, Morris is still at a net negative on his actual effect on someone's season in my opinion.  Perhaps the next 2 weeks can change that.  I despise handcuffing.

Preach on brotha, I started first 3 weeks and benched this week.  But that's the beauty of Thursday night football, there's still a full slate of players to go Sunday and Monday.  18 points standard and ppr is nice, but not lighting the world on fire either.  

4 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Bravo - this is so delusionally negative it’s actually beautiful. 

I never thought a 120+ yard / TD Zeke like performance could be $#!t on, but I never should’ve doubted you rotoworld 

Jury is still out on Morris for me. The Redskins made so many mistakes they could never recover; they were simply bad and it wasnt because Dallas dominated. I view the Skins game as an anomaly vs the start of a new winning trend.

5 hours ago, FFCollusion said:

Was Morris actually terrible for the 3 weeks prior to last nights great game as you write or more like the Cowboys played terrible? The three prior games the Boys were down .... they completely abandon the run in the second half. Last night game played perfectly for a back like Alfred Morris. 

I just don't think a lot of people wasted a roster spot for Morris all season. I didn't in my 12 team league.

He ran for 90 yards against one of the best fronts in the league, looked like Zeke last night, and had lackluster fantasy performances in other games because their defense might as well have not even dressed on game day and Dak had to actually play QB

When Morris has gotten the ball - he’s been excellent. Already plugged in to my round 1 lineup - with confidence. 

* Smith is the one I don’t know what to do with 

17 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

benched Morris and Dez, started Crowder.  Hooray!!

Seemed like Alf barely got stuffed last night, just solid yardage on every run. It will be tough to sit him next week against Tampa Bay. 

oops ... 

Season on the line this week, spent 99% of the day trashing Morris and convincing myself not to start him...

Then I thought more about the Oline and how they were healthy finally. My other options had banged up lines so I figured 10 carries maybe 5-6pts and possible TD would help. One of the other posters here noted that last week's Rod Smith TD came in hurry up offense, which also helped me realize that he wasn't necessarily NOT the goal line guy.

I started him and Crowder, and I feel awesome about my chances now. Let's goooooo!

the anti-morris bias is amazing - and i'm convinced it's because he doesnt run a jaw dropping 40 time / sparq score, which people seem to translate as the only "talent" needed to play the position.

5+ YPC with a juicy matchup on deck in a division game that'll most likely be close (unless Dallas blows them out - also good for Morris) . His bad games this year were more because of the defense / Dak's performance, not this "jag plod" BS that people stick on any back who doesn't have 95 speed on Madden. 

10 minutes ago, RyanK said:

Then I thought more about the Oline and how they were healthy finally.

Where's the easiest place to get this info? Seems like "revelations" about O-lines always come out after the fact to explain why a player either busts or goes off. Is this information just not properly built into rankings and other discussions? Or is it still just not really a reliably predictable factor?

1 minute ago, brbeaird said:

Where's the easiest place to get this info? Seems like "revelations" about O-lines always come out after the fact to explain why a player either busts or goes off. Is this information just not properly built into rankings and other discussions? Or is it still just not really a reliably predictable factor?

I am a Dallas guy and honestly I just paid attention to Twitter and team updates on who/who isn't playing. Since Zeke went down the five originals haven't played together. When I saw they were all there yesterday, I thought about how we attacked the Skins last time and figured our non-creative coaches would follow suit and run all day again.

Still, I only expected MAYBE 12 carries, but figured that's valuable enough for the crap I have at RB to warrant a start.