NBC Sports Edge Forums

Alfred Morris 2017 Season Outlook

13 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

Did today give us even a slight bit of clarity on the backup with Morris? I want to say yes... I have byes coming and it sucks to drop dmc but I think after today I can with a little less worry, Morris also looked good on the few plays he had. 

Why would today give any clarity? He's been the backup all season.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

Why would today give any clarity? He's been the backup all season.

It has not been in stone that Morris will completely take the role, as that's why everyone grabbed McFadden as well 

12 minutes ago, Savatage79 said:

It has not been in stone that Morris will completely take the role, as that's why everyone grabbed McFadden as well 

And it still isn't after today. Today changed nothing.

1 minute ago, Most Guruist said:

I thought it was interesting Rod Smith closed out the game.  I still have him rostered but mainly because moves cost $5 in my league and there isn't anything great on the waivers.

Cooper Rush and Noah Brown closed the game with him. They were up 40-10. Don't read too much into it.

31 minutes ago, GriffeySwag said:

And it still isn't after today. Today changed nothing.

Cooper Rush and Noah Brown closed the game with him. They were up 40-10. Don't read too much into it.

I didn't say it changed anything officially , but it might give an inkling of an idea. 

Edited by Savatage79

Are other zeke owners still holding alf? seems like a wasted roster spot for dmac/alf owners .. in all honesty rod smith is younger looked faster and better than both dmac and alf last week .. Rod Smith is probably the real handcuff imo anyways .. as a zeke owner its risky but i think alf/dmac are droppable because even if zeke was suspended they would have no use

2 hours ago, bobbym said:

Are other zeke owners still holding alf? seems like a wasted roster spot for dmac/alf owners .. in all honesty rod smith is younger looked faster and better than both dmac and alf last week .. Rod Smith is probably the real handcuff imo anyways .. as a zeke owner its risky but i think alf/dmac are droppable because even if zeke was suspended they would have no use

Gotta hang on at least through next week. Hearing coming up on Oct. 30th for Zeke, will determine a lot. Smith got a lot of work in the 2nd half of a blowout, but that won’t be the case moving forward. Still think Morris and DMC are the guys to own - stash both if you can. Smith is just a deep league lottery ticket IMO if you missed out on DMC or The Butler.

8 minutes ago, CamNewton said:

I'm hoping and praying it's Alf.

I'm not a religious man, but I'm putting my money on a RBBC, where everybody gets some and all supposed handcuffs are underwhelming.

So far, Dak Prescott has actually been the #2 RB behind Elliott, and that doesn't bode well for the backups. It usually means they don't have a lot of confidence, and then the backups will have to slug it out to see if anyone comes out on top.

4 minutes ago, dawgburt2000 said:

I’m expecting a full blown 3-headed monster where Morris, McFadden, and Smith are all risky flex plays.

I don't see that at all. Someone will be the workhorse, and I don't think it'll be Smith. 

Agree...Staying clear of this backfield with no clear front-runner. I will let others scramble for Morris

5 hours ago, bobbym said:

wow just a nightmare scenario for zeke owners .. no one really knows who the real cuff is and its just a guess if any of them are even flex worthy .. hopefully buck allen is still usable for a week or two

Here's hoping we can gather some info based on practice this week.

Unfortunately I likely have to start one of them.  Anyone's guess who gets more touches.

5 hours ago, Savatage79 said:

I don't see that at all. Someone will be the workhorse, and I don't think it'll be Smith. 

So tell me, Dallas is constantly in pass mode with their defense giving up tons of points each game.

Will Morris be the back on the field? Cause the answer is no.

He's never shown the ability catch out of the backfield or consistently pick up blitzes.

In the past when healthy they had Lance Dunbar when healthy to come in and out or they used McFadden to spell Murray on 3rd downs ( Murray is a 3 down back like Zeke).

Logically look at that rb depth and tell me if you were running this team would you give Morris third downs or passing duties over McFadden who has shown he is very capable or Smith who is multi dimensional as well?

This is going to a rbbc. 

UNLESS one runs away with it against the Chiefs. They are all good at different aspects.

Zeke = great at every aspect below 

Alf = power running , goal lines

Dmc= 3rd downs, passing situations, speed runs

Smith = All purpose. Does both well up top but is their fb right now but that could change if he is the hot hand sunday.

It's all going to be a headache

11 minutes ago, montgrove said:

So tell me, Dallas is constantly in pass mode with their defense giving up tons of points each game.

Will Morris be the back on the field? Cause the answer is no.

He's never shown the ability catch out of the backfield or consistently pick up blitzes.

In the past when healthy they had Lance Dunbar when healthy to come in and out or they used McFadden to spell Murray on 3rd downs ( Murray is a 3 down back like Zeke).

Logically look at that rb depth and tell me if you were running this team would you give Morris third downs or passing duties over McFadden who has shown he is very capable or Smith who is multi dimensional as well?

This is going to a rbbc. 

UNLESS one runs away with it against the Chiefs. They are all good at different aspects.

Zeke = great at every aspect below 

Alf = power running , goal lines

Dmc= 3rd downs, passing situations, speed runs

Smith = All purpose. Does both well up top but is their fb right now but that could change if he is the hot hand sunday.

It's all going to be a headache

Morris and dmc have been  fantasy relevant when they've been given the rock as the main man. Not to the caliber of zeke, but both have had big games and been more than valuable in the past so no I don't think it's a stretch to think one of the two won't be the lead back 

7 minutes ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

Part of Zeke”s draft day appeal to counter the “risk” was the fact he had a clear cut handcuff

Thats no longer the case - none of them are worth a high waiver

Thats why people should have already had them when 2 weeks ago he was supposedly suspended and it was during open waivers. I've carried both of his cuffs like master blaster for 2 weeks now as I feel it'll pay off. 

1 minute ago, Savatage79 said:

Morris and dmc have been  fantasy relevant when they've been given the rock as the main man. Not to the caliber of zeke, but both have had big games and been more than valuable in the past so no I don't think it's a stretch to think one of the two won't be the lead back 

"Lead" back is a stretch.

They will all have value. Not full value though.

Think of it the way New England backs are used. We would say this is a "blount" game or this is a "vereen" game or a "white game".

Well if they need to go power running then Morris will be used predominantly. If they need to go spread offense and try to stay in shootouts, well then McFadden will be predominant.

Odds are even if you owned both running backs it's going to be hard to figure out who the back will be. Games change in an instant.