NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Doctson 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Hopefully you meant Marvin Jones. TJ Jones is a JAG from everything we have seen from him the last 3 seasons. Not sure how one could trust him at all going forward with Tate injured. 

Nope.  Meant TJ Jones.  Marvin Jones should be owned in any competitive league.  TJ Jones is more natural to play Tate's position of the slot, and I think was getting opportunity there even before Golloday hurt himself.  These are of course, probably just several week rentals until Tate hopefully heals.

I'm honestly encouraged by his involvement last night. It wasn't 8-100-1, but he played more snaps and saw more targets. Let's see what happens this coming weekend to see if it was an anomaly or if he's trending in the right direction. 

Unless he can throw himself the ball, he is not in the game plan except to decoy the dunk and dunk stuff

4 hours ago, Ffguy0087 said:

*undroppable

Thanks for showing the correction.  Sometimes when I type my computer does what it wants to do and sometimes I inadvertently leave out a letter. I have noticed the “n” seems to be left off when I type probably because it is right next to the space bar. 

14 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Thanks for showing the correction.  Sometimes when I type my computer does what it wants to do and sometimes I inadvertently leave out a letter. I have noticed the “n” seems to be left off when I type probably because it is right next to the space bar. 

Dont droop your wrist while typing, keep them raised. Your welcome.

1 minute ago, gus030 said:

This guys route running and skills don't impress me and just don't see much of an opportunity for a lot of target, doubt he makes an impact this year.  Dropped for Golladay 

I got 'em both ...  Golladay and Doctson ... one will hit

4 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Said nobody, ever

This is a bench WR with upside. Someone might try to tell you this player is just another guy, they might type JAG in all caps. They might scream JAG JAG JAG over and over. But this is a bench WR with upside.

2 hours ago, jtbgator said:

I got 'em both ...  Golladay and Doctson ... one will hit

Same here.  My bench includes Davis, Doctson, Golladay and Mack.   High upside is the way to go, IMO, even if most of those types don't pan out.  If one can end up as a must start by the playoffs I'll be happy, if two end up as must starts, I'll be ecstatic.

Edited by Patsgofor6

Everyone keeps saying the dink & dunk offense is working, but they got swept  by the Eagles, can't run the ball because the safety is stacking the box, even CT is going to start having more trouble being effective.  The skins need to have a deep threat if they want to really be competitive. To have a deep threat means somone has to score long, and Doctson played more snaps. All signs are affirmative, except the dink & dunk offense.

Edited by Red Dog
17 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Everyone keeps saying the dink & dunk offense is working, but they got swept  by the Eagles, can't run the ball because the safety is stacking the box, even CT is going to start having more trouble being effective.  The skins need to have a deep threat if they want to really be competitive. To have a deep threat means somone has to score long, and Doctson played more snaps. All signs are affirmative, except the dink & dunk offense.

i hate to be a broken record but you need good OL protection to throw deep. Do they have any healthy lineman?

8 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

i hate to be a broken record but you need good OL protection to throw deep. Do they have any healthy lineman?

Lauvao is still healthy. It's not looking good for that OL, though. That has to be brought up when discussing Doctson; against teams with strong a F7, he'll likely struggle as a deep receiver/be completely RZ dependent for big points.

A good OL helps with deep balls but the play also has to get called. Sure, the play calling maybe affected by the state of the OL but teams with bad o-lines throw deep too.

I would think the QB needs about 2-4 seconds to throw a ball 40-50 yards down the field.

Edited by yahyahtrick
1 hour ago, yahyahtrick said:

A good OL helps with deep balls but the play also has to get called. Sure, the play calling maybe affected by the state of the OL but teams with bad o-lines throw deep too.

I would think the QB needs about 2-4 seconds to throw a ball 40-50 yards down the field.

The o-line is ranked #13 for pass protection. While he might not be a Wilson, Cousins is plenty mobile enough to move around and not get sacked. The o-line has taken some injuries as of late, but I'm not sure it is the o-lines fault this offense is lackluster and trying to dink and dunk its way to winning the division. Reality is they won't win their division dinking and dunking. They will be sinking instead. 

“We can’t have everybody out there all the time; you can only have 11 out there,” Gruden said. “And really, some of our best offensive stuff comes out of two-tight-end sets and one back [or] three-tight-end sets and one back. … So it’s going to be hard to get everybody the ball and get everybody happy. But these guys are all on the team. And when they’re asked to play, they’ll play. And if not, they’ll wait their turn.”

His quarterback said the same, explaining a plan to rotate in Pryor “maybe every third series or so,” but to focus on Doctson. “And when you add Vernon and Jordan and Chris Thompson, it doesn’t leave a lot of space for four or five receivers,” Cousins went on. “So you pick two or three and you go with them. And that tonight was Jamison and Josh Doctson and Ryan Grant, and I thought those three did a good job, and expect them to continue to be there.”

My two takeaways, pryor is buried Doctson is elevated going forward and the HC is convinced that his TE sets are the key to his offensive production with wr's playing a complementary role.

All of this makes Doctson a wait and see if he on your waiver or a stash and see if u have the bench space

2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

My two takeaways, pryor is buried Doctson is elevated going forward and the HC is convinced that his TE sets are the key to his offensive production with wr's playing a complementary role.

All of this makes Doctson a wait and see if he on your waiver or a stash and see if u have the bench space

+ Gruden realizes Redskins aren't extending Pryor another contract next season, so might as well roll with the WRs (Doctson/Grant/Crowder) that will be playing for them next season so that he can see what he has with them. 

12 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

+ Gruden realizes Redskins aren't extending Pryor another contract next season, so might as well roll with the WRs (Doctson/Grant/Crowder) that will be playing for them next season so that he can see what he has with them. 

BL, can you honestly say you’d play him vs DAL (usage iffy) or SEA or MIN or DEN or Lattimore or Jenkins? Maybe you’re thinking a FLEX at best? I just don’t see it. I’d rather have someone maybe not as talented against a much easier schedule and a team without a lot of other options  like JMatt.