NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Doctson 2017 Season Outlook

17 hours ago, jtbgator said:

I got 'em both ...  Golladay and Doctson ... one will hit

Add Corey Davis and Dede Westbrook and you have a bench full of "upside waiting-to-break-out WRs".

I'm frustrated with the Redskins offense, but I trust there are smarter offensive minds there that know a whole lot more than I do to figure it out.  I don't think Kirk Cousins is as good as his reputation says he is.  To me, he's the guy that I thought he was coming out of Michigan State.  I think the talk of him being an elite QB in this league is laughable.  And perhaps the Redskins think so as well given how his contract situation has now stalled for two years.

The lesson to learn here is that the only guys you can rely on in a Gruden/Redskin offense led by a conservative QB is the tight end.  Heck, Vernon Davis is a better flex play than Doctson right now.  But I will stubbornly hold.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

BL, can you honestly say you’d play him vs DAL (usage iffy) or SEA or MIN or DEN or Lattimore or Jenkins? Maybe you’re thinking a FLEX at best? I just don’t see it. I’d rather have someone maybe not as talented against a much easier schedule and a team without a lot of other options  like JMatt. 

I wouldnt play him simply because Gruden keeps showing us he doesnt need a primary WR to move his offense, te/rb are the focus

OL issues for the Skins and improved DL play (pass rush) by Dallas does have me wondering how that could effect this match up ahead this week vs what i saw last season.

That being said, Cousins threw for 800+ yards vs Dallas across two games last year and i expect him to chunk it north of 300+ with ease this Sunday at home.

I like Doctson this week as a solid ppr flex play.  He's either going to see second year CB Brown a lot or the rookie Jourdain Lewis, both very winnable match ups for this week.  Im firing up Doctson this week in two PPR leagues as a flex.  My best guess would be 5/60/1 TD, just a gut call.  His snap count was healthy enough Monday night that if it continues it should pay off vs the Dallas defense this week.  Possibly a break out game coming from Doctson

Also, really fair points by DASHOE above regarding RB/TE for Gruden moving the ball well, Reed has typically been a handful for Dallas and he has been targeted a lot in those games.  Byron J will match up head to head with him a lot so that is the key match up of the game, IMO.  

Another interesting part i will want to watch is Kelly vs the Dallas run D.   Dallas over the recent years has been solid up front vs the run but they are struggling this season.   I like to get in players for FF in games like this where i can.  I expect both teams to move the ball a lot in this game with a high and healthy point total.  There will be a good number of players benefitting from this game with solid FF production so I'm firing up many players from this game where i can 

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:11 AM, TennisMenace said:

If he has overtaken Pryor, then why was  Pryor the WR who got all the looks and passes in the fourth quarter, while Josh got nothing?

To me the million dollar question is:  Has Doctson won this job or are the two guys splitting the X position (i.e. about 6 targets per week)?  It sounds to me like the competition is still on and we'll have to wait a week or two for some clarity.  Until then, neither Doctson or Pryor is playable.

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Emerging-In-Practice-Josh-Doctson-Could-Have-Bigger-Role-Moving-Forward/9e48de95-6aec-434a-910f-d9e6d41da7b6

"... One of the aspects the coaching staff is working through now is determining how much Doctson plays the X receiver position. To start his time in the NFL, the Redskins wanted him to learn that position exclusively before potentially getting him some reps at the Z receiver position.  

But the X receiver spot is also the one that converted wide receiver Terrelle Pryor Sr. learned first when making the switch from quarterback.

“We have had Terrelle Pryor, since he walked in the door, he’s been playing one position,” Gruden said on a conference call with local media this week. “When you have a receiver that hasn’t been playing receiver a whole lot in his career, you don’t want him bouncing around playing three positons. And Josh, very similar. He didn’t practice a whole lot last year, he’s only in his second year here so we wanted him to really learn one position and they happen to both be at X.

“[Jamison] Crowder, [Ryan] Grant we felt good about at Z, [Brian] Quick can play some Z and then obviously Crowder plays inside. Maybe in the future, maybe we can move Josh over to Z and I’m sure Josh could play some Z if need be, but we like Crowder out there, we like Grant out there and we like where we’re at there.”

Gruden added that the Redskins’ desire to get Doctson more playing time should help a passing offense, that while ranks sixth-overall, doesn’t have a wide receiver with more than 230 receiving yards.

“Right now I think we wanted to get Josh in there a little bit more and see how he did,” Gruden said. “Josh did some good things, some things we need to clean up, same with Terrelle every week. Just going to continue to coach those guys up, try to play the hot hand, play the guys who are fresh and go from there.”

I know Yahoo projections are crap, but why did he all of a sudden jump from 5 to 11 in PPR?  Yet the remaining weeks he hovers around 7.  

I'm assuming it's related of course to his 84% snap counts and Gruden saying they want to see what the guy they drafted to be the #1 can do.  Or is it that he's expected to torch the secondary?  

Unfortunately, I view the Redskins offense similar to the Saints spread-the-wealth approach, only with a far inferior QB and less talented pass-catchers.

I really dont understand why Gruden cant run Pryor and doctson at the same time, doctsons long TD bomb came on a play where kirks initial read was a bomb to pryor but pryor hadnt beaten his man so he turnes and launched it to doctson. 

Redskins should run more 3 wide sets, pryor, doctson, and crowder in the slot.

“We’ll see how it goes moving forward,” Redskins coach Jay Gruden said. “Right now we wanted to get Josh in there a little bit more and see how he did. Josh did some good things, some things we need to clean up, same with Terrelle every week. Just going to continue to coach those guys up, try to play the hot hand, play the guys who are fresh and go from there.”

I'm out, can't trust Gruden and his coachpseak

40 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I really dont understand why Gruden cant run Pryor and doctson at the same time, doctsons long TD bomb came on a play where kirks initial read was a bomb to pryor but pryor hadnt beaten his man so he turnes and launched it to doctson. 

Redskins should run more 3 wide sets, pryor, doctson, and crowder in the slot.

Neither one of them can play Z. Crowder has to play Y in this offense (when reed isn't.) 

36 minutes ago, Atariboy78 said:

Blah, neither Doctson nor Pryor are startable.  Could easily be looking at 5-6 targets with 3 catches for 40 yards.  Thompson and the TEs get fed first.

Yeah story of basically everyone in this offense. 

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

I'm out, can't trust Gruden and his coachpseak

We drafted him to be the #1 vs We will play the hot hand

The way I'm interpreting this is that Doctson will still get the majority of the snaps (as he did last week) but if Pryor starts making plays he will get used. 

Highly considering dropping him as well

6 minutes ago, JediMasters said:

These comments are old.  They were said after the game, the same time when Gruden said they drafted Doctson to be their #1.  Again, Rotoworld took this out of context.

Not rotoworld ESPN

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/33912/whether-its-terrelle-pryor-or-josh-doctson-redskins-need-more-production-at-wr

On 10/24/2017 at 10:24 PM, martinjlm said:

3rd worst ROS schedule:

image.png.af2b9b214ad8290718a2741a18bb5eb6.png

Where do those numbers come from?  Are they using stats from last year as well? Because Yahoo!'s SoS for WR is different and uses figures only from this year. 

1 minute ago, dashoe said:

This article makes it sound like the blame is on the receivers. Is this true, or is Cousins just a baby back bitch afraid to throw it to someone covered by a corner?

What the heck about this hot hand crap? What had Crowder done to continue warrant a starting spot? Pryor has been a disaster and bust, I feel this hot hand stuff is only because of Pryor's contract.

Hard for anyone to get a hot hand if Cousins only throws the ball to the WR three or four times a game.

Here is the full article from yesterday.

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Emerging-In-Practice-Josh-Doctson-Could-Have-Bigger-Role-Moving-Forward/9e48de95-6aec-434a-910f-d9e6d41da7b6

ESPN took this and left out this critical quote from Cousins

"The plan was for Josh Doctson to start at X and then rotate Terrelle [Pryor Sr.] in maybe every third series or so, but as long as Josh was fresh and feeling good [we] got Josh more involved,” said Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins"

Then at the end of the article Gruden followed up what Cousins said

“Right now I think we wanted to get Josh in there a little bit more and see how he did,” Gruden said. “Josh did some good things, some things we need to clean up, same with Terrelle every week. Just going to continue to coach those guys up, try to play the hot hand, play the guys who are fresh and go from there.”

ESPN took this article and spun it.  Rotoworld then took the same ESPN article and spun that.  But from the ORIGINAL article what I got was Doctson is the starting X (WR1).  Pryor will rotate in maybe every third series or so to keep Doctson fresh.

Just now, oliminator123 said:

This article makes it sound like the blame is on the receivers. Is this true, or is Cousins just a baby back bitch afraid to throw it to someone covered by a corner?

I think it's more or less Gruden has a specific vision and he wants his wr's to execute a specific way and until then he will play tot he strengths of his te/rb schemes instead of compromising on the wr schemes vs the talent. 

7 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm basically going  to take Kirk at his word at the press conference. "we spread the ball around"

Agree. I just love RZ looks he has gotten which should increase more  snaps he sees

Edited by Sean Tambo
On 10/24/2017 at 9:24 PM, martinjlm said:

3rd worst ROS schedule:

image.png.af2b9b214ad8290718a2741a18bb5eb6.png

I think this has convinced me not to stash Doctson. That's a brutal schedule. Throw in Kirk spreading the ball, throwing primarily to TE's and RB's and now "news" that Gruden will rotate and/or play the hot hand between Docston and Pryor. Just don't see it. Think I'd rather stash Dede over Docston.