NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Doctson 2017 Season Outlook

2 minutes ago, jtbgator said:

I think this has convinced me not to stash Doctson. That's a brutal schedule. Throw in Kirk spreading the ball, throwing primarily to TE's and RB's and now "news" that Gruden will rotate and/or play the hot hand between Docston and Pryor. Just don't see it. Think I'd rather stash Dede over Docston.

Its all about the RZ looks 

I would stash Dede also

Edited by Sean Tambo
  • Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, CooL said:

What the heck about this hot hand crap? What had Crowder done to continue warrant a starting spot? Pryor has been a disaster and bust, I feel this hot hand stuff is only because of Pryor's contract.

Hard for anyone to get a hot hand if Cousins only throws the ball to the WR three or four times a game.

He can play all three positions. Thats what Crowder has done. He is ideal in the slot, but when you have two guys that can only play X and one that can play all 3, the one that can play all 3 is probably gonna be on the field more. 

13 minutes ago, dashoe said:

I'm basically going  to take Kirk at his word at the press conference. "we spread the ball around"

Smart man. Listen to the guy who is actually making the play. 

6 minutes ago, Sean Tambo said:

Agree. I just love RZ looks he has gotten which should increase more  snaps he sees

This is probably the best argument for Doctson. He is a red zone factor. Outside of that you are hoping for 5-7 targets and some completions

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I agree with this, but guys are speaking of him as if he's Mitch Trubisky. Attempting 30 passes per game is still plenty of attempts, especially when we're talking about a WR about to be healthy on a team bereft of playmakers in the passing game. 

Exactly, 30 attempts per game is a lot when dede only needs 10 a game to become a star and your next best option is allen hurns

Starting him with hope of a TD. If it's a go with the hot hand approach who do you think the staff is going with...A guy on a 1 year deal who hasn't worked out or a WR who was taken in the 1st Round & is finally healthy after a year and a half?

Edited by cousinal111

Okay, back to Josh.  I honestly believe the fourth quarter in Monday’s game was very telling.

“what happened in the fourth q. Tennis.”

josh got no looks or targets while Pryor was reinserted and got four targets. 

“So what does that mean, tennis.”

i think it means the coach is still trying to fire up Pryor by first benching him, and then inserting him, and getting him many targets. Thus, I would not be surprised to see josh still playing second fiddle to,Pryor this coming week.

pecking order:

thompson

reed

pryor

Chowder- josh

im still expecting 3-45, no tds

Just now, cousinal111 said:

Starting him with hope of a TD. If it's a go with the hot hand approach who do you think the staff is going with. A guy on a 1 year deal who hasn't worked out or a WR who was taken in the 1st Round ND is finally healthy after a year and a half.

I actually was encouraged by Doctson's stat line last week. Snaps, targets, and receptions were up. He may or may not break out the rest of the way, but Monday night was at least an encouraging sign. I want to see what he does against Dallas. 

You guys are so reactionary based off of the latest blurb that appears on RW. There is no universe in which Doctson starting on Monday night and playing his career high in snaps devalues his outlook moving forward. Doctson was a worthy bench stash prior to Monday based on his talent, the talent around him, and perceived opportunity. Now he might very well be turning into the WR1 for the Skins--best case scenario--and some here are down on him.

It's exactly as Gruden said--they drafted this guy to be their #1 and they are going to give him every opportunity to be that. They also aren't going to publicly bail on Pryor even though it's clear as day that he had his shot and will be taking a backseat going forward. The hot hand stuff is coach speak and as others have mentioned was taken out of context in the latest blurb.

They haven't been utilizing their WR's because up to this point they haven't gotten anything from them. Crowder has been hobbled and is more of a role player than a guy you lean on, Pryor is pretty clearly a bust for this team, and Ryan Grant is just a guy. That's a far cry from what they had last year in Garcon and DJax. The system hasn't changed--they've just adapted to the talent they had available on the offense. That meant more looks for the TE's and RB's and a less traditional approach with the WR's.

As Doctson has gotten healthy and shown more in practice, they've given him more in games. I'm actually surprised they expanded his role so quickly on Monday night, and it made me more optimistic than I thought I would be at this point in the season about his outlook. He will gain trust with Cousins and will continue to get the benefit of the doubt as the future (now probably current) WR1 for this offense.

I see more opportunities for Doctson on the horizon and think he can be a WR3/flex in the 2H of this season, with upside for more. The downsides are the fact that Cousins does spread the ball around (same case last year where no WR had the target share to produce WR1 numbers), and he does seem to be a bit injury prone. But at this stage in the game there aren't a lot of better upside stashes than Doctson. The feeling in this thread should be cautious optimism; but of course it's RW and it's either he's the next OBJ or he's a scrub, with no in-between.

6 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

You guys are so reactionary based off of the latest blurb that appears on RW. There is no universe in which Doctson starting on Monday night and playing his career high in snaps devalues his outlook moving forward. Doctson was a worthy bench stash prior to Monday based on his talent, the talent around him, and perceived opportunity. Now he might very well be turning into the WR1 for the Skins--best case scenario--and some here are down on him.

It's exactly as Gruden said--they drafted this guy to be their #1 and they are going to give him every opportunity to be that. They also aren't going to publicly bail on Pryor even though it's clear as day that he had his shot and will be taking a backseat going forward. The hot hand stuff is coach speak and as others have mentioned was taken out of context in the latest blurb.

They haven't been utilizing their WR's because up to this point they haven't gotten anything from them. Crowder has been hobbled and is more of a role player than a guy you lean on, Pryor is pretty clearly a bust for this team, and Ryan Grant is just a guy. That's a far cry from what they had last year in Garcon and DJax. The system hasn't changed--they've just adapted to the talent they had available on the offense. That meant more looks for the TE's and RB's and a less traditional approach with the WR's.

As Doctson has gotten healthy and shown more in practice, they've given him more in games. I'm actually surprised they expanded his role so quickly on Monday night, and it made me more optimistic than I thought I would be at this point in the season about his outlook. He will gain trust with Cousins and will continue to get the benefit of the doubt as the future (now probably current) WR1 for this offense.

I see more opportunities for Doctson on the horizon and think he can be a WR3/flex in the 2H of this season, with upside for more. The downsides are the fact that Cousins does spread the ball around (same case last year where no WR had the target share to produce WR1 numbers), and he does seem to be a bit injury prone. But at this stage in the game there aren't a lot of better upside stashes than Doctson. The feeling in this thread should be cautious optimism; but of course it's RW and it's either he's the next OBJ or he's a scrub, with no in-between.

Clearly, the BEST perspective on this thread.  Thank you for keeping us balanced here.  

4 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

Okay, back to Josh.  I honestly believe the fourth quarter in Monday’s game was very telling.

“what happened in the fourth q. Tennis.”

josh got no looks or targets while Pryor was reinserted and got four targets. 

“So what does that mean, tennis.”

i think it means the coach is still trying to fire up Pryor by first benching him, and then inserting him, and getting him many targets. Thus, I would not be surprised to see josh still playing second fiddle to,Pryor this coming week.

pecking order:

thompson

reed

pryor

Chowder- josh

im still expecting 3-45, no tds

Isolating one quarter of play doesn't do us a lot of good considering they play 4Q and Doctson both had more opportunities and produced better when given the chance during the other 3Q.

Unlike Doctson, their 1st rounder from just last year, this coaching staff doesn't have a whole lot of commitment in Pryor. They are off the hook completely after this year. Doc on the other hand will have 2 years left on his rookie contract, and unlike Pryor who simply hasn't played well, he's been banged up and hasn't been on the field.

The idea that they would play the mental gymnastics you're suggesting to "fire up" a guy who essentially amounted to a "why not" free agent pickup is baffling. They didn't bench him to fire him up--they benched him because he's not playing well. He came back into the game because they haven't given up on him completely (I'm still not convinced he's worse than Crowder, and he's almost certainly better than Grant), and also because Doctson was playing a career high in snaps and probably wasn't nearly as fresh at that stage in the game.

Pryor did come in and get 4 targets. He dropped 2 of those. Hard to see that kind of performance instilling confidence in anyone.

There isn't really a pecking order on this team as they spread it around depending on matchups, plays, etc., but in terms of volume of targets I see it shaking out like this ROS:

1. Reed

2. Doctson

3. Crowder

4. Thompson

5. Davis

But it will change week-to-week and at the end of the day probably all will see 4-10 targets on a sporadic basis. For Doctson's purposes, probably makes him a WR3/flex play with upside for more if he shows out completely or Reed/Crowder get injured.

9 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

Very good post. Thank you, sir. 

4 minutes ago, AnchorDown said:

Isolating one quarter of play doesn't do us a lot of good considering they play 4Q and Doctson both had more opportunities and produced better when given the chance during the other 3Q.

Unlike Doctson, their 1st rounder from just last year, this coaching staff doesn't have a whole lot of commitment in Pryor. They are off the hook completely after this year. Doc on the other hand will have 2 years left on his rookie contract, and unlike Pryor who simply hasn't played well, he's been banged up and hasn't been on the field.

The idea that they would play the mental gymnastics you're suggesting to "fire up" a guy who essentially amounted to a "why not" free agent pickup is baffling. They didn't bench him to fire him up--they benched him because he's not playing well. He came back into the game because they haven't given up on him completely (I'm still not convinced he's worse than Crowder, and he's almost certainly better than Grant), and also because Doctson was playing a career high in snaps and probably wasn't nearly as fresh at that stage in the game.

Pryor did come in and get 4 targets. He dropped 2 of those. Hard to see that kind of performance instilling confidence in anyone.

There isn't really a pecking order on this team as they spread it around depending on matchups, plays, etc., but in terms of volume of targets I see it shaking out like this ROS:

1. Reed

2. Doctson

3. Crowder

4. Thompson

5. Davis

But it will change week-to-week and at the end of the day probably all will see 4-10 targets on a sporadic basis. For Doctson's purposes, probably makes him a WR3/flex play with upside for more if he shows out completely or Reed/Crowder get injured.

You surprised me here.

1. You put Josh ahead of Thompson

2. You don’t even have Pryor in there

playing Dallas, I’m expecting a lot of points and don’t forget, Skins OL is banged up. I feel confident saying Thompson will get plenty of dump offs and quick passes. 

9 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

You surprised me here.

1. You put Josh ahead of Thompson

2. You don’t even have Pryor in there

playing Dallas, I’m expecting a lot of points and don’t forget, Skins OL is banged up. I feel confident saying Thompson will get plenty of dump offs and quick passes. 

Thompson averages just over 5 targets a game--I expect that to be Doctson's floor moving forward if indeed his role will the the WR1 on this offense. I could however see Crowder being the #2 option over Doctson though.

Pryor probably the greatest unknown here but I don't see how he regains his footing in this offense without an injury ahead of him at this point. I think we're looking at Ryan Grant status for Pryor from here on out.

From CBS:

The Redskins are expected to proceed with Doctson as their starting "X" receiver ahead of Terrelle Pryor in their Week 8 matchup with the Cowboys on Sunday, John Keim of ESPN.com reports.

After impressing in a more limited role in his first five appearances of the season, Doctson was appointed to the starting ranks ahead of Monday's 34-24 loss to the Eagles. The lineup change allowed Doctson to earn a season-high five targets, which he parlayed into three catches and 39 yards over 54 snaps. Doctson's enhanced role came at the expense of Pryor, with the offseason free-agency pickup earning just one snap in the first half before seeing more work over the final two quarters. Even so, Pryor finished with a meager two catches for 14 yards on the evening and dropped the other two targets that came his way, which won't help his case for poaching snaps from Doctson. Given his exorbitant salary, Pryor probably won't be phased out of the offense entirely, but at this point, it looks like Doctson will be given a real chance to show the coaching staff what he can do after injuries mostly ruined his rookie season.