NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Doctson 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m holding him one more week.  I can’t judge him off of last weeks monsoon game in which he gave me a TD.  I’m not starting him or expecting much this week but if he does put up some points in a shootout he’ll be the talk of week 10. Houston showed that Seattle can be thrown on and I believe Sherman stays at LCB if they wanted to avoid him 

8 minutes ago, JediMasters said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments/926219000614440962

Apparently the problem is Kirk Cousins.

Lol @ cherry picking a few plays from one game. 

It was a damn monsoon with 25 mph+ winds. Nobody was throwing the ball that game. Dak only three for 143 yards, is there a problem with him too?

I’m a lifelong diehard SKINS fan, and there is nothing more I want than for Doctson to finally break through and live up to his potential. But I assure you, the problem is NOT Kirk Cousins. 

1 minute ago, UVA_Drew said:

It was a damn monsoon with 25 mph+ winds. Nobody was throwing the ball that game. Dak only three for 143 yards, is there a problem with him too?

I’m a lifelong diehard SKINS fan, and there is nothing more I want than for Doctson to finally break through and live up to his potential. But I assure you, the problem is NOT Kirk Cousins. 

Yes it is.  Cousins is KNOWN to be captain checkdown this year.  Are you kidding me?  You don't have to be a Skins fan to know this.  Anyway from the coach's words today.  And apparently Gruden agrees with me.  A non Skins fan.

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/so-what-exactly-jay-gruden-saying-about-kirk-cousins

"I think there is going to be a point in time where he is going to have to give some receivers some chances that maybe look a little covered, but give them a chance to uncover or give them a chance to make a play," the coach said. "That’s probably the one area that we can force the issue on a little bit to give these receivers chances down the field."

Edited just now by steelwind

19 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

Yeah no. It is Cousins or Gruden. Whoever is calling the bush league conservative dink and dunk offense. One of them two or both is to blame. 

Such high hopes for this guy.  Yet he's proving to be quite a bust.

This is supposedly "the guy they drafted to be #1" yet he doesn't have a game with more than 5 targets.

Can't wait for all the fantasy experts next year to say that he is a sleeper due to the "3rd year WR breakout".

I'm only holding because there is bottom of the barrel crap on the waiver wire.  If I could have swapped this guy out for Josh Gordon, I would have.

Kirk has probably been conditioned to not make mistakes since the days of coach Shanahan.  Sometimes guys are open even though they don't look it, like Bolden was later in his career.  That's where having a rapport with  receiver comes in.  Unfortunately Doctson has missed a lot of time and Cousins doesn't feel comfortable chucking it up to him.  Hensel check downs to CT or passes to VD over the middle.  Not sure this gets fixed this season.

Obviously the skins wanted to save money on WRs this season, they paid Pryor who played QB 3 seasons ago, and decided Doctson fresh out of the infirmary, along with 125 lb Crowder would get the job done, with a QB they really don't think is very good. What could go wrong?

2 minutes ago, oban14 said:

Yeah, nothing says "CHAMPIONSHIP" like drafting a Browns player.

You're too short sighted my sarcastic "friend". The facts are.. This whole season thus far none of Washington's WRs have been able to be viable fantasy starters. Gordon has a past of showing out while having absolute garbage QB's. If Doctson can't get even 4-5 passes this week what is the point of having him on my roaster? 

Just now, Jugernot said:

You're too short sighted my sarcastic "friend". The facts are.. This whole season thus far none of Washington's WRs have been able to be viable fantasy starters. Gordon has a past of showing out while having absolute garbage QB's. If Doctson can't get even 4-5 passes this week what is the point of having him on my roaster? 

If anything I'm too farsighted, which is why I own Doctson, Davis, Gordon, Mike Williams and a host of other lottery tickets.

Doctson is quite simply the best WR the Redskins have.  Talent will win out eventually.  This might be the game.  But I still think by the end of the year he is going to be getting WR2 targets.

18 minutes ago, oban14 said:

If anything I'm too farsighted, which is why I own Doctson, Davis, Gordon, Mike Williams and a host of other lottery tickets.

Doctson is quite simply the best WR the Redskins have.  Talent will win out eventually.  This might be the game.  But I still think by the end of the year he is going to be getting WR2 targets.

ftfy

12 minutes ago, nb009 said:

Tough to play him this week. Cousins too shook to target Sherman, who I believe will be on Doctson most of the game.

Sherman doesnt need to shadow doctson lmao....

For those arguing it isn't Cousins, you would be wrong. He isn't throwing down the field as much as he did last season. The dink and dunk is really limiting any upside of his WRs. 

2017 = 31st in average completed air yards (5.5 yards)

2016 = 10th in average complete air yards (7.6 yards)

2017:

oFycUqI.png

2016:

HXIC8Fa.png