NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Doctson 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The redzone looks were promising last week but I'm off his bandwagon and picked up Watkins off waivers along with JuJu Smith-Whatever his last name is.

I blame Cousins. He is really trying to pad his stats with constant checkdowns to get paid in the offseason. All he does is checkdown....   very obvious 

I was planning on dropping him in the morning but looks like we’ll wait and see how this plays out 

ousins - QB -  Redskins

Redskins coach Jay Gruden wants Kirk Cousins to take more shots downfield.

"There's a point where he’s going to have to give receivers some chances that maybe look covered, but give them a chance to make a play. That’s probably one area we can force the issue on — to give these receivers chances down the field." Cousins is completing 68 percent of his passes, but has made most of his throws on checkdowns to Chris Thompson. With multiple starters missing on the offensive line, that's unlikely to change this week. Playing with a downgraded supporting cast, Cousins could struggle in a shy-away matchup at Seattle.

Source: CBS Washington 
Nov 

Not sure there isn't some truth to that statement.  A lot of interceptions this season will definitely cost him some money on a long term deal.  The Redskins have a lot of other issues and checking down a lot because he's not comfortable with players with a lack of reps probably won't.  i think he mostly just doesn't want to make mistakes though.

Edited by Red Dog

I think if Crowder were to remain injured, Pryor were to miss the team plane, and Ryan Grant were to slip in the shower on Sunday morning...Cousins would still ignore this guy and just keep throwing to Chris Thompson and Reed/Davis.

But at this point, you've held on for so long, you have the Fear of Missing Out if you drop him and he happens to blow up.  So kind of stuck.

"If he does have a weakness, it's that he's too much of a perfectionist," Gruden says. "He wants everything to be perfect. Unfortunately, I can't get guys 30 f---ing yards open all the time. There are going to be some tight-window throws he's going to have to throw some days. I'll call some of these in practice, and if it doesn't look exactly the way I drew it up, he'll [say], 'I don't know if I like that. I can't call it in a game.' I'm like, 'Bud, c'mon.'"

Cousins chuckled when told of Gruden's comments. "If I played the way Jay is suggesting," he says, "I'd throw 20 interceptions a year, and I wouldn't last. I know my limitations."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21121399/next-uneasy-marriage-kirk-cousins-redskins-nfl

Kirk plays soft and he plays safe. Chris Thompson, a scatback, still leads the team in receiving yards at the halfway mark of the season. He thinks he's doing himself and the 'Skins a favor by prioritizing dump offs over shots to wide receivers when this performance will only peg him more and more a game manager who can't win games.

6 hours ago, BurgundyBooger said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21121399/next-uneasy-marriage-kirk-cousins-redskins-nfl

Kirk plays soft and he plays safe. Chris Thompson, a scatback, still leads the team in receiving yards at the halfway mark of the season. He thinks he's doing himself and the 'Skins a favor by prioritizing dump offs over shots to wide receivers when this performance will only peg him more and more a game manager who can't win games.

Great article to read.  Completely ridiculous the way they are thinking.  "Uh, if he throws a pick it will cost him millions."  If this is how he is thinking, they are doomed.  The guy is getting $24 million this year.  He will get paid next year.

6 hours ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Maybe they should have given him a real contract instead of jerking him around with the franchise tag again and shipping off his two top WRs (one of them being one of the best deep ball WRs in the game)

Edited by lolcopter
Just now, lolcopter said:

Maybe they should have given him a real contract instead of jerking him around with the franchise tag again and shipping off his two top WRs

Unless they are lying, they did give him a contract offer.  He wanted more.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bruce-allen-redskins-offered-kirk-cousins-53-million-but-he-prefers-franchise-tag/

Our goal was to sign Kirk to a long-term contract with the final objective of having him finish his career with the Redskins.

On May 2nd, right after the draft, we made Kirk an offer that included the highest fully guaranteed amount upon signing for a quarterback in NFL history ($53 million) and guaranteed a total of $72 million for injury. The deal would have made him at least the second highest-paid player by average per year in NFL history.

But despite our repeated attempts, we have not received any offer from Kirk's agent this year. 

Kirk has made it clear that he prefers to play on a year-to-year basis. While we would have liked to work out a long-term contract before this season, we accept his decision.

9 minutes ago, Szer0 said:

prepare a roll of TP (Tissue Paper) while you are at it...

for the sh*t produced and the tears afterwards

Always remember to cry first, then wipe.  The reverse is a mess.

35 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

the sneaky play go get Terrelle Pryor ...

him alone will bring your team to the promise land (Championship) instead of the larks called Dede/Davis/Gordon

There is nothing sneaky at wk9 about a player who has played the entire regular season up to this point.  terrelle Pryor has given us enough data to evaluate him on this offense.

He is a wk9 dart throw becuase his situation has changed due to injuries.

If overrated Kirk Cousins is afraid to throw the ball deep because he is worried about throwing interceptions, then yes, he has essentially become Alex Smith.  However, that said Alex Smith has 16 TDs and 0 interceptions, and despite the wide perception that he is nothing but a game manager, he has somehow managed to remain a starting QB in this league.

Just disappointing for Doctson owners, which I suppose is the same that could be said for all KC WR owners in the past years.  But if Tyreek Hill can be made relevant, why not Josh Doctson?

The problem of course is that it's week 9 and we're running out of time.  I don't doubt that if there is a week Doctson blows up and goes off, the majority of us owners will be watching him rack up those points on our bench.

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

There is nothing sneaky at wk9 about a player who has played the entire regular season up to this point.  terrelle Pryor has given us enough data to evaluate him on this offense.

He is a wk9 dart throw becuase his situation has changed due to injuries.

the news broke this week that the Skins would like Cousins to start throwing the ball deep ... so adding Terrelle Pryor (he is on the WW in most leagues) before today's game a sneaky play ...  just a possibility maybe he can get his act together with Crowder out ...while some guys rather own a Josh Gordon who can't pay till week 13 and having no clue if he will see the field.

7 hours ago, BurgundyBooger said:

My read is Kirk is a low risk passer in the mold of Alex Smith.  He won't lose you games with his execution but he won't win you games when you need the edge of the high risk playmaking.  He needs to be in a system where he has the right pieces around him so he doesnt have to be the differnce maker but he wants to get paid like a star and not a another cast member

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

the news broke this week that the Skins would like Cousins to start throwing the ball deep ... so adding Terrelle Pryor (he is on the WW in most leagues) before today's game a sneaky play ...  just a possibility maybe he can get his act together with Crowder out ...while some guys rather own a Josh Gordon who can't pay till week 13 and having no clue if he will see the field.

There is nothing sneaky about that, news has been out for a few days vernon- doctson-pryor owners are all thinking the same way, it's just a question of if you think he performs given change in situation.  I would argue the SNEAKY play is Ryan Grant because few own him and fewer would risk playing him.

3 minutes ago, dashoe said:

There is nothing sneaky about that, news has been out for a few days vernon- doctson-pryor owners are all thinking the same way, it's just a question of if you think he performs given change in situation.  I would argue the SNEAKY play is Ryan Grant because few own him and fewer would risk playing him.

that news came out yesterday around 4/5:00pm less than 24 hours. good night

17 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

that news came out yesterday around 4/5:00pm less than 24 hours. good night

No you are wrong, you may have noticed the blurb yesterday but that news was out on Nov 2 when Gruden made the comment during an interview. So nothing sneaky about your strategy, you came to the party late after many already processed it and made their decisions

Good morning.  :P

Edited by dashoe

106.7 The Fan’s Craig Hoffman asked Gruden to clarify his position: “Kirk had a quote in a story that came out last week that if he played the way you wanted him to play, he’d throw 20 picks a year –”

“He’d also throw 60 touchdowns a year,” Gruden quipped.

“How much are you pushing him to push the ball down the field more, versus wanting him to be comfortable and confident in the throws he makes,” Hoffman asked. “And knowing there is a chance –”

“I always tell him, ultimately, he’s got the ball to make the decisions,” Gruden interjected. “We just call the plays and try to get him progression reads and man-to-man, take your shots with the matchups that you like.”

“But ultimately he’s the one that’s going to make the decisions of what he feels good about making throws,” he said. “I think there is going to be a point in time where he’s going to have to give some receivers some chances that maybe look a little covered, but give them a chance to uncover or give them a chance to make a play.”

“That’s probably the one area that we can force the issue on a little bit to give these receivers chances down the field,” he said. “Other than that, man, I think he’s playing great, and when the ball is complete, I never criticize. We just always talk about other options possible for the next time we call it. That’s all, but he is doing good.”

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/11/03/jay-gruden-wants-kirk-cousins-to-give-his-receivers-a-chance/

Here is the referenced context of the blurb