NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Doctson 2017 Season Outlook

I finally cut the cord and let this sweet prince go today so I could pick up Greg Olsen.

I have frustratingly watched enough Redskins games this year to know that the only pass catcher you want on their team is Vernon Davis.  Cousins is more comfortable throwing to his RBs and TEs.  He goes through his progressions but hardly ever it seems gets to Doctson.

Yes, Pryor is a bust and Doctson is now starting, his snap counts are up, his targets were a career high (7!  Whoopee!), etc.  But we've seemingly been waiting for this guy's breakout forever.

He's going to breakout at some point.  But he's going to do so when the majority of his owners have him on the bench.  I would have absolutely no confidence starting him.  At this point in the season, if I can't trust him, there is no reason to hold him.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

That’s great news!! For Crowder and Thompson owners.... not JD. 

Lattimore is an elite shutdown CB. 

Edited by martinjlm
7 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

That’s great news!! For Crowder and Thompson owners.... not JD. 

Lattimore is an elite shutdown CB. 

Yes I know. I was the one who mentioned grabbing the Saints D back in week 6 with a hobbled Stafford.

Still, opportunity is there.

35 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

Yes I know. I was the one who mentioned grabbing the Saints D back in week 6 with a hobbled Stafford.

Still, opportunity is there.

Next week perhaps. Also, I forgot to mention Davis stock still rising. So JD is at best 4th read.

8 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Away fro vernon I have all but given up on any of the redskins wr group.  Kirk simply isn't making the passes needed to give these guys  high fantasy value.

Yup. Maybe next season for Doctson, but it's not going to be this one. Kirk is too scared to throw to WRs consistently because he is concerned about interceptions costing him when he tries to sign a contract. It's pathetic. VD is the only receiver you want to own here.

The only thing that changes doctsuns status is the chris thompson injury and thats it. Now cousins has to look for other options. Thats a lot more targets that are up for the taking. If it wasn't for that. Doctsuns status wouldn't change. With that said he's probably worth an add after what happened today.

2 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

The only thing that changes doctsuns status is the chris thompson injury and thats it. Now cousins has to look for other options. Thats a lot more targets that are up for the taking. If it wasn't for that. Doctsuns status wouldn't change. With that said he's probably worth an add after what happened today.

that's whole lotta bs just to confirm what everyone else is alluding to

10 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

Not really. Who brought up thompsons injury increasing docstuns value? No one that I see prior to my post.

The point you're missing is that Doctson stepped up and became the genuine WR1 in terms of targets and production yesterday, well before Thompson got hurt.  His value went up regardless of what happened to Thompson.  Perine and Doctson just went up even further due to Thompson's injury.

12 minutes ago, Funkenstein said:

I dont know if he 'became a WR1' yesterday, but he did make a hell of a catch on a jump ball.  This kid has talent. 

I meant the WR1 for the Redskins but agreed on the talent.  I think Gruden is just one of those guys where he makes young players walk over coals before trusting them.

16 minutes ago, griffin727 said:

Me... Hogan and Shepard out I have no choice but the throw in WR's like Doctson.

I have both WR's .... Hogan is on the bench and I just don't think he will play this sunday ... but I was hoping that Shepard would.

5 hours ago, esoomer said:

Who's starting him Thursday night?

I think I have to. Duke Johnson is banged up, and I just don't trust the targets for Sammy Watkins, even with Woods out.

Is Sinorice Jenkins a worry for Doctson?

His targets recently:

Doctson   Watkins

Week 9 5 2
Week 10 7 3
Week 11 7 4