NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Doctson 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had him stashed for weeks now. Woods went down so it's time to hopefully cash in on this emerging WR. Without Thompson I think his targets will go up. Even without him going down Doctson's targets have increased as he and Cousins have developed more Chemistry. 

It is a small sample size, but the last few weeks convince me that Doctson is a legit part of this offense.  I hate Thursday football, and the Wash O-line is in tatters, but Cousins is home and he'll have enough play-action (with Perine) to work with.

I rarely double up WRs, but I'm starting both Crowder and Doctson in this one.  They will account for decent (or better) air yards between them, unless Davis goes bonkers.

26 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

It is a small sample size, but the last few weeks convince me that Doctson is a legit part of this offense.  I hate Thursday football, and the Wash O-line is in tatters, but Cousins is home and he'll have enough play-action (with Perine) to work with.

I rarely double up WRs, but I'm starting both Crowder and Doctson in this one.  They will account for decent (or better) air yards between them, unless Davis goes bonkers.

I'm considering Doctson at Flex and also have Davis going. 

4 minutes ago, vmo1059 said:

Late touchdown saved the day. Would still like to see him get some more targets. You would think it would happen with the amount of time he is on the field.

Oh wow. Surprised to see he nearly doubled Crowder’s snap total. Wonder what the disconnect is there with regards to targets. Possibly Jenkins?

49 minutes ago, nb009 said:

Oh wow. Surprised to see he nearly doubled Crowder’s snap total. Wonder what the disconnect is there with regards to targets. Possibly Jenkins?

He's big. Therefore it's assumed he can block better on run plays. Also Crowder was limited due to injuries throughout the night. 

I think.... And let it be clear I've been wrong a lot this season.... Crowder is the guy to hold moving forward rest of season, but next season I think the sky is the limit for Doctson 

1 hour ago, nb009 said:

Last week it was 60 to 41 in Doctson favor.  Crowder seems to only play in 3 or more WR sets.  Even before injury when Wash was in 2 WR sets Grant was in with Doctson

1 hour ago, WVFalcon said:

I started him this week. I'm happy with the results honestly for a flex player, but I won't be starting him again unless he gets more targets consistently.

This is his floor right now folks.  

I almost never start 2 WRs from the same team, but I doubled up on Crowder and Doctson this week.  Glad I did.  I'll seriously consider it again.  Odds are, one will go off while the other fulfills his projection.  Perine's emergence provides insurance in the form of effective play action.  I wish Washington had its starting O-line, but Cousins seems capable of overcoming that obstacle.  In short, the WR set up in Washington is about as reliable and  potent as you can ask for.

7 hours ago, vmo1059 said:

Late touchdown saved the day. Would still like to see him get some more targets. You would think it would happen with the amount of time he is on the field.

Averaging well over 80% or the snaps since week 6.

Does he run anything other than a go route, though.

Edited by this guy right here
20 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Averaging well over 80% or the snaps since week 6.

Does he run anything other than a go route, though.

He could average 100% snaps, he gets average, 3 targets per game. And agree, route tree is pretty vanilla. He’s talented, but this s--- is predictable... they could really do so much more with their weapons this year...

4 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

This is his floor right now folks.  

I almost never start 2 WRs from the same team, but I doubled up on Crowder and Doctson this week.  Glad I did.  I'll seriously consider it again.  Odds are, one will go off while the other fulfills his projection.  Perine's emergence provides insurance in the form of effective play action.  I wish Washington had its starting O-line, but Cousins seems capable of overcoming that obstacle.  In short, the WR set up in Washington is about as reliable and  potent as you can ask for.

It also seems to be his ceiling.

He is not a WR1 on this team. 71 snaps and 4 targets. Even worse for PPR based leagues. Unless Gruden and Cousins change their ways (Not likely)  poor Gordon isn't going to be the only Josh disappointing fantasy owners in the playoffs (12 team). If you are going to "win the game" your team leads to have real  #1 WR's. You can get by with planning on scrapping for an RB over the WW during the typical RB December carnage, but not WR.  If you don't have "real" WR1's, chase the volume. Keep an eye on potential volume plays with favorable schedules.   (Hous, SF, Clev, Buff all have favorable week 14 schedules)                                                                                                                                   

We don't win championships with WR's that don't get targets. Treating the bench as a farm team for next year's breakouts is over. 

Edited by mar1kle

Doctson's targets and production are on the way up.  Every season a handful of very young, talented players ascend.  Over the past several games, it is clear to my eye that Doctson is one of those players.  Even last night, Cousins took several long shots with him, demonstrating the growing confidence that he and the CS have in him.

We don't win championships waiting for an ascending player to hit us in the face with his breakout before we play him.  If you wait until a box score tells you a player has arrived, you won't win anything, especially in a competitive league.

With the injuries that Washington has absorbed, the pass offense (which is quite good despite the O-line injuries) is going to run ROS through two guys, Crowder and Doctson.  In that dynamic, Doctson will have his share of big games.  You can book it, even if you can't read it at the moment in a box score.

You'll see.  From here on out, health permitting, Doctson will produce a reliable floor when he doesn't deliver a top 20 week.  The proof is already on the tape.