NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Doctson 2017 Season Outlook

I never considered that it could have just been McVay. Good stuff gents. I would still stash Doctson if you can. Two owners beat me to it in two of my leagues so I missed out. A lot of upside but also could amount to nothing. No reason not to roster and wait and see.

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Another possibility is that Cousins/offense ends up missing McVay and the offense doesn't end up producing like it had the last few years. 

I went back and looked again at Matt Harmon's Reception Perception for the 2016 WR draft class. Some interesting comments about Doctson and his ability coming out of college:

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-2016-nfl-draft-prospects-results.html

have any video of him in college or NFL?

6 minutes ago, FantasyGOAT said:

have any video of him in college or NFL?

There isn't much video of him in the NFL since he has only played 5 games in his career (2 last season and 3 this season). He has had two splash plays though.

The 57 yard reception last season against Dallas: 

9LbWZKz.gif

and that 52 yard Moss TD last week:

tFDBwMK.gif

For college stuff, there is a bunch of stuff on YouTube. Just search his name there. 

21 minutes ago, hubbell525 said:

6/8 105yards  2 TDS tonight

I don't see it the way Washington is rotating their WR's and Cousins only wants to throw to RB's and TE's.

That might be Chris Thompson's stat line though.

Just now, izzyf89 said:

What's the minimum you're looking for to consider him a hold? Target count? Yards?

- No injury

- Greater than 53% snap count

- More than 2 targets

- Would like to see him make one splash play

I'm not looking so much at yards/tds for him this week as I have a little bit of time to wait on him. I'm more interested to see his role in the offense. That the Redskins use him more. That Cousins trusts him more. That he is able to make plays when is number is called. Gotta give him a few weeks to perform if one is really interested in holding on to him imo.

2 minutes ago, izzyf89 said:

What's the minimum you're looking for to consider him a hold? Target count? Yards?

i will need to see at least the same snap count %'s as last week to hold through the bye, obviously a big splash play or two would make me feel really good about it, but I know what he is capable of if he gets his opportunities.

7 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

I wouldn't expect he'll be the second coming of Randy Moss tonight.  He'said a high upside bench stash who will likely be more of a factor in the second half of the season.

Exactly Doctson still has to work his way up the depth chart and keep gaining the trust of Kirk and the coaches. Plus Pryor is not just going to dissppear this soon. Kirk throws around enough balls to have 3 fantasy relevant pass catchers but right now the running game is winning games for them

Edited by dashoe
2 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Exactly Doctson still has to work his way up the depth chart and keep gaining the trust of Kirk and the coaches. Plus Pryor is not just going to dissppear this soon. Kirk throws around enough balls to have 3 fantasy relevant pass catchers but right now the running game is winning games for them

Maybe in week 2 against the Rams, but that wasn't the case week 1 against the Eagles or week 3 against the Raiders.

2 minutes ago, burninglegs said:

Maybe in week 2 against the Rams, but that wasn't the case week 1 against the Eagles or week 3 against the Raiders.

I include chris thompson as part of the running game against the raiders

Just now, burninglegs said:

Oh, so you meant the passing/receiving game. Not the running game?

Not trying to be too technical about it but he is a Rb and not a wr, so with kelley gimpy and perine not getting it done he is the defacto lead rb and his performance demolished the raiders whether u consider it as reception vs carries. i just lump them as touches same as I would if DJ/bell  do it via carries or passes.

I'm a Pryor owner, so I just picked up Doctson in all my leagues where available. I feel this is a smart move. I haven't totally given up on Pryor, and I won't be surprised if and when he improves in this Redskins offense, but Doctson provides insurance.

I'm high on Doctson's potential and abilities. That said, I need him to show me something tonight. Keeping two WRs from the same team with the same bye (Week 5) on my rosters will be quite a challenge.

6 hours ago, The Frayed Ends of Fantasy said:

I'm a Pryor owner, so I just picked up Doctson in all my leagues where available. I feel this is a smart move. I haven't totally given up on Pryor, and I won't be surprised if and when he improves in this Redskins offense, but Doctson provides insurance.

I'm high on Doctson's potential and abilities. That said, I need him to show me something tonight. Keeping two WRs from the same team with the same bye (Week 5) on my rosters will be quite a challenge.

Same here mate

Just now, dashoe said:

pryor given that he  is on the field for 80% of snaps and gets more targets that doctosn

Im down 16 against the only unbeaten team left my friend was adamant that I should pick up JD and play him. But I'm sticking with Pryor haha too big a risk

My takeaway from the game,  Kirk and the coaches need to get him more involved in the game from the start so big plays are more consistent and natural instead of forced. Doctson attacks the ball on every target and clearly a better wr than Pryor skill wise. He couldnt hold onto the ball when he hit the ground but you can forgive that type of play when you see the effort he put into it.