NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justin Smoak 2017 Outlook

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/16/2017 at 9:54 PM, Picard56 said:

I wasn't really buying him until last week, but I decided that maybe he really is this good. if E5 could become great in TOR why can't Smoak too. 

This is exactly my line of thinking. Both Bautista and E5 were total trash before drinking that Canadian Kool-Aid. Nobody bought into them at first either, and they have both been top power bats for over 5 years now.

He's hitting for average which signifies to me that this isn't just some power binge like a lot of these guys.

Edited by bradwatson

Smoak being on the "Can't Cut" list for Yahoo is working out for me so far - I was trying to drop him the day he made the list for another hot bat (I play in a 10 team league, so plenty of talent on the wire), so here's to him keeping up the solid batting.

• 2 weeks later...

God, I use to be so annoyed when I saw Smoak's name in the Jays line up, an occasional dinger mixed in with a dozen rally killing infield pop ups and strikeouts, but now he's the only reliable hitter in the line up. 

• 2 weeks later...

Think it was mentioned earlier in the thread but this season is how Justin Smoak hit his entire time at South Carolina.  I don't know his numbers at USC but they had to have been ridiculous.  I've been an owner off and on for years and just attributed his ho-hum production in the MLB as just another guy who couldn't make the adjustment from aluminum to wood or something like that...nothing else made sense in my mind that a player could be that dominant as a hitter in the best baseball conference in the country to average-at-best in the pros.  

He did get rushed up by TEX so there's that...then traded to SEA and then lost his dad early who he was extremely close with...could be that it just took that long for a small town SC boy to mature into a confident man.  Texas, Seattle & Toronto are a long way from Goose Creek, SC.  I couldn't be happier for him though, this is what he's been capable of all along.

26 minutes ago, wayzupusc said:

Think it was mentioned earlier in the thread but this season is how Justin Smoak hit his entire time at South Carolina.  I don't know his numbers at USC but they had to have been ridiculous.  I've been an owner off and on for years and just attributed his ho-hum production in the MLB as just another guy who couldn't make the adjustment from aluminum to wood or something like that...nothing else made sense in my mind that a player could be that dominant as a hitter in the best baseball conference in the country to average-at-best in the pros.  

He did get rushed up by TEX so there's that...then traded to SEA and then lost his dad early who he was extremely close with...could be that it just took that long for a small town SC boy to mature into a confident man.  Texas, Seattle & Toronto are a long way from Goose Creek, SC.  I couldn't be happier for him though, this is what he's been capable of all along.

It's wild how much more contact he's making this year. He's putting up elite power numbers and elite contact rates. All the underlying stats back up his productions 100%. What on earth happened? 

Regardless, I'm really happy for him. Saw an interview of him during the ASB and he was being very open and honest reflecting on his career and talking about how he had accepted his fate that he would just end up being an average player.  Must be hard to go from such a highly touted stud to mediocrity. You carry that label wherever you go. Thank you for Smoaking

Early in the season, I had the opportunity to choose between Alonso being for real and Smoak being for real. I went with Alonso and now I kick myself in the nuts for it. I thought Smoak's BA would eventually plummet back to the .210-.230 range, even if he managed to keep the power. I thought Alonso would retain a solid BA even if the HRs slowed down. Alonso has done what I thought he'd do...but Smoak. Good grief. I didn't see this happening. Congrats to everyone who took a shot on him.