NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justin Smoak 2017 Outlook

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, Roto4500 said:

It's not that difficult, guys. Sometimes the hyped guys finally figure it out. That's what happened here. Legit stud.

Sometimes it takes time to undo bad habits. Look at Zunino.  Michael Saunders last year.  Sometimes it takes a lot of reps and some positive results to have everything finally sink in.  I don't think people who didn't follow the Mariners really realize how terrible Jack Zduriencik and his horse**** bum of a head of player development were at developing programs to help hitters.  I heard this f***** idiot on the radio years back talking about how his approach with young hitters was to ditch being patient and just swing at first fastballs they see.  No pitch recognition, no working counts.  No nothing.  Furthermore no support.  Smoak always had skills he was just broken mentally from being exposed to failing so much.  Anytime I see Jack Zduriencik on MLB network I want to toss my remote through the screen.  

Edited by Cmilne23
1 hour ago, Roto4500 said:

It's not that difficult, guys. Sometimes the hyped guys finally figure it out. That's what happened here. Legit stud.

If it isn't that difficult where were you in March or April touting his virtues?  Nobody saw this coming,  if you got lucky drafting him it was a huge bonus. 

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Sometimes it takes time to undo bad habits. Look at Zunino.  

I like Zunino and own him in a 2-catcher league, but he's turned back into Zunino...hitting .182 over the last month. I hope he warms up again soon. 

As for Smoak, the guy figured something out. Nobody, not even his momma, saw him hitting above .290 by mid-July. 

26 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I like Zunino and own him in a 2-catcher league, but he's turned back into Zunino...hitting .182 over the last month. I hope he warms up again soon. 

As for Smoak, the guy figured something out. Nobody, not even his momma, saw him hitting above .290 by mid-July. 

Zunino will never be a great average bat.  Probably won't ever hit over .225.  He had a .787 ops last year, .770 ops this year.  Prior to that in his last year under the Zduriencik era he had to be shutdown healthy at the end of the year so he didn't set the MLB record for lowest average with I believe 450+ at bats in a season.  It took a ton of work from Edgar Martinez and Jerry Dipito's player development staff to just make him a FUNCTIONAL big league bat. 

I'm so glad I grabbed this guy, but to be honest I'm really happy for him as an athlete. He's finally producing like many thought he would years ago. It's great to see when a player finally puts it all together and is having fun after struggling to stay healthy and produce for years. 

I also enjoy watching owners send ridiculous offers to get him on their team when earlier in the season most people wrote him off as just getting lucky or being on a hot streak.  Those of you who believed, like me, are really enjoying the show. 

Edited by HaloFanatic17
21 minutes ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

Roids doesn't explain his vastly improved contact rates which is fueling the breakout.

I do not think Smoak is taking roids. But I think people in this forum don't understand that roids vastly improve your eyesight....

24 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

#15 in 5x5 OPS leagues. All he does is rake.

Yep,  #15 in points leagues as well.

• 2 weeks later...