NBC Sports Edge Forums

Call Up Watch Thread

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Except that Herrera and Altherr are coming back soon and there are Nick Williams and Rhys Hoskins in the OF as well.  Nick Williams has looked good since being called up and tends to be forgotten about these days since Rhys is obviously Superman.  But both he and Altherr need playing time too. 

And Altherr was arguably their best hitter before Rhys came up.  Now they are all corner outfielders except Altherr who can (and has) played some CF as a back-up there.

So does that mean Herrera would be the big loser here since he is the regular everyday CF when healthy?  Or is it just a day game after a double header and Galvis is doing a one-off in CF today?

Thanks to fantasy baseball I know all the names of Phillies outfielders I never get to see play.  What a world, hah.

I think it will just mean the inevitable will happen sooner, and that is Tommy Joseph becoming a bench player.  They aren't sitting Altherr, Williams, or Herrera.  At least not regularly.  I could see Altherr getting a day or two off per week to kind of ease him back (and a decent enough excuse to give others playing time), but that's pretty much there OF of the present and future right there.

It's going to be tricky for the manager, but I think the obvious guys will play one way or the other.  Crawford will probably play 3B more than anything, but a few games at SS just to see if he has any future there.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since it's getting *closer* to call up time I thought it might be a good idea for a general "call up watch thread" to give owners in deep/keeper/dynasty leagues a leg up to grab guys asap.  

Thanks for the very surface level analysis. Like a low level prospect has never turned into a stud or very productive everyday player. Keep living by your generic prospect rankings. 

Literally you contributed nothing except for tearing down a guy who was actually contributing to thread  in my view an interesting catching prospect. Look you can look at his prospect ranking and be d

4 hours ago, I like baseball said:

His future is at short.  He should play the majority of his games there.  If anything, you'll see Joseph moved in the off season so Rhys takes over at first.  

I keep hearing people say that Joseph will be moved.  First at the deadline and now over the off season.  Yes the Phillies want to do that but tell me WHERE?  I see absolutely zero market for the guy.  He plays well but not well enough to trade because few teams are after 1B guys that are just "okay".  Most of them have "okay" guys in their own organization that can play that position if they don't already have a more than okay guy on their club already.

In other news related to call-ups, Dillon Peters, a SP in the Marlins organization, should be up tomorrow to pitch against said Phils.

11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I keep hearing people say that Joseph will be moved.  First at the deadline and now over the off season.  Yes the Phillies want to do that but tell me WHERE?  I see absolutely zero market for the guy.  He plays well but not well enough to trade because few teams are after 1B guys that are just "okay".  Most of them have "okay" guys in their own organization that can play that position if they don't already have a more than okay guy on their club already.

In other news related to call-ups, Dillon Peters, a SP in the Marlins organization, should be up tomorrow to pitch against said Phils.

That depends for what you're looking for in return.  This was a year for breakout first baseman which certainly diminished any sort of market for him.  There were more productive bats going for practically nothing.  He's young, controllable power bat that should be able to land a 3 or 4 tier prospect in return this upcoming off season... probably a reliever would be my guess.  I mean they could certainly keep him and try throwing him behind the plate every now and then while giving him extra at bats when Rhys needs a day off( in a Gattis type role).  Who really knows but I think the favorable odds would be on him being moved this offseason.  I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa, if they don't re-sign LoMo, looks for their next LoMo.

33 minutes ago, I like baseball said:

That depends for what you're looking for in return.  This was a year for breakout first baseman which certainly diminished any sort of market for him.  There were more productive bats going for practically nothing.  He's young, controllable power bat that should be able to land a 3 or 4 tier prospect in return this upcoming off season... probably a reliever would be my guess.  I mean they could certainly keep him and try throwing him behind the plate every now and then while giving him extra at bats when Rhys needs a day off( in a Gattis type role).  Who really knows but I think the favorable odds would be on him being moved this offseason.  I wouldn't be surprised if Tampa, if they don't re-sign LoMo, looks for their next LoMo.

TB has both Bauers and even Gillispie on the horizon who they will have more control over for longer.  CWS Abreu will probably be on the trade block this winter too and any team would want him over Joseph I'd think. 

And the Phils have already called up Jorge Alfaro to catch beside their other two catchers -- Napp and Rupp.  Both Napp and Alfaro are among the top 10 in young prospect catchers going into this year too.  No room at the plate for Joseph in Philly.  Let's face it the poor guy has no real place to go.  Granted he'd be a big step up over Joe Mauer in Minnesota but Mauer is the hometown boy ride til he dies guy with the Twins.

31 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

TB has both Bauers and even Gillispie on the horizon who they will have more control over for longer.  CWS Abreu will probably be on the trade block this winter too and any team would want him over Joseph I'd think. 

And the Phils have already called up Jorge Alfaro to catch beside their other two catchers -- Napp and Rupp.  Both Napp and Alfaro are among the top 10 in young prospect catchers going into this year too.  No room at the plate for Joseph in Philly.  Let's face it the poor guy has no real place to go.  Granted he'd be a big step up over Joe Mauer in Minnesota but Mauer is the hometown boy ride til he dies guy with the Twins.

Gillespie was traded to the White Sox.

33 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Sure Bauers could be an option but he's still just 21 and could use more seasoning.  He also plays OF as well.  Gillaspie I believe plays for the White Sox organization now.  Anyways, that's beside the point... I was pretty much throwing out a possible destination.  I have no idea what they're going to do.  You make a good point about Alfaro and Rupp which just furthers the point that there's really no room for Joseph there in Philly.  He'll get moved one way or the other IMO.

disclaimer: this is probably the wrong thread, but i'm not sure there's a more appropriate one..

so i'm perusing through the mlb transaction log tonight just checking out who got called up today, seeing if any interesting names didn't get mentioned on here. i noticed the wording was slightly different from player to player with a total of three different categories of callups: recalled, purchased contract, and selected contract. i've never really noticed/cared about the particular wording used when referring to minor league callups, but my interest is piqued. i've glanced over a few google results, and it seems most people are somewhat confused about what the terms mean, as i am. here are my guesses/assumptions:

• recalled - player is already on the 40 man roster, but currently in the minor leagues.
  • purchased contract - player added to the 40 man roster. 
  • selected contract - no idea?? can't seem to figure out what's different between selecting and purchasing..

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bips_braves said:

Bauers has been at AAA all season. Not sure he really needs more seasoning there. Time to learn at the pro level. 

He's a good prospect but he's still young and could definitely use more Triple A at bats. I'm not sure how being at AAA all year equates to him being ready for everyday major league at bats.  Because if he isn't going to get that, there's no point in bringing him up.  He's not exactly tearing up Triple A nor has he show the power a team typically wants in a everyday first baseman.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

disclaimer: this is probably the wrong thread, but i'm not sure there's a more appropriate one..

so i'm perusing through the mlb transaction log tonight just checking out who got called up today, seeing if any interesting names didn't get mentioned on here. i noticed the wording was slightly different from player to player with a total of three different categories of callups: recalled, purchased contract, and selected contract. i've never really noticed/cared about the particular wording used when referring to minor league callups, but my interest is piqued. i've glanced over a few google results, and it seems most people are somewhat confused about what the terms mean, as i am. here are my guesses/assumptions:

• recalled - player is already on the 40 man roster, but currently in the minor leagues.
  • purchased contract - player added to the 40 man roster. 
  • selected contract - no idea?? can't seem to figure out what's different between selecting and purchasing..

Although my interpretation may be completely incorrect, I've interpreted it as.

Purchased/Selected Contract- Added to 40-man from minors (this article uses "select" with adding to 40-man)

Called up- Added to 25-man from 40-man for the first time

Recalled - Added to 25-man from 40-man for the second time and after.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, I like baseball said:

He's a good prospect but he's still young and could definitely use more Triple A at bats. I'm not sure how being at AAA all year equates to him being ready for everyday major league at bats.  Because if he isn't going to get that, there's no point in bringing him up.  He's not exactly tearing up Triple A nor has he show the power a team typically wants in a everyday first baseman.

No one said Bauers should be called up this year.  It was about next year vs trading for Tommy Joseph.  Someone said Rays would maybe have interest in Joseph and I said I didn't think so because of Bauers.  And seriously why wouldn't the Rays just re-sign Logan Morrison next year or move a corner outfielder like Corey Dickerson in to play 1B until Bauers is ready though I think he comes up earlier than later next year. 

You trade for Joseph and you are stuck trying to find a trade partner for him when someone like a Bauers is ready and trading him seems to be an endless exercise in futility.

Totally forgot that Gillaspie had been traded to White Sox.  Thanks for correction, guys.

Talking about 1B, Sam Travis was called up for Boston.  (This is the call-up thread so I'm golden with this post now, hah).

Anyway Sam Travis may end up sharing 1B with Hanley next year since Mitch Moreland is on a 1 year contract there and Moreland will be a cheap FA pick-up for a club next year too.  Or they could flip Travis probably quicker than the Phils trying to unload Joseph.  Any way you look at it only Abreu will garner much interest in a cold 1B market next year.  Otherwise plug in someone on your farm system or a corner outfielder.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
55 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No one said Bauers should be called up this year.  It was about next year vs trading for Tommy Joseph.  Someone said Rays would maybe have interest in Joseph and I said I didn't think so because of Bauers.  And seriously why wouldn't the Rays just re-sign Logan Morrison next year or move a corner outfielder like Corey Dickerson in to play 1B until Bauers is ready though I think he comes up earlier than later next year. 

You trade for Joseph and you are stuck trying to find a trade partner for him when someone like a Bauers is ready and trading him seems to be an endless exercise in futility.

Totally forgot that Gillaspie had been traded to White Sox.  Thanks for correction, guys.

Talking about 1B, Sam Travis was called up for Boston.  (This is the call-up thread so I'm golden with this post now, hah).

Anyway Sam Travis may end up sharing 1B with Hanley next year since Mitch Moreland is on a 1 year contract there and Moreland will be a cheap FA pick-up for a club next year too.  Or they could flip Travis probably quicker than the Phils trying to unload Joseph.  Any way you look at it only Abreu will garner much interest in a cold 1B market next year.  Otherwise plug in someone on your farm system or a corner outfielder.

Dude, let me try to clarify things for you as you seem a bit confused.

Me: 

Sure Bauers could be an option but he's still just 21 and could use more seasoning. 

Him:

Bauers has been at AAA all season. Not sure he really needs more seasoning there. Time to learn at the pro level. 

You:

No one said Bauers should be called up this year.  It was about next year vs trading for Tommy Joseph.

Our conversation was about someone possibly having interest in trading for Joseph next season.  My conversation with Bips_Braves is about whether or not Bauers is ready for major league at bats.  He feels that because he's been at Triple A all year, he's ready for the pro level.  

You:

Someone said Rays would maybe have interest in Joseph and I said I didn't think so because of Bauers.

All you have to do is look up.  That's a conversation that you and I were having.  Now, while Joseph may or may not be an option for Tampa during the off season, Bauers hasn't exactly been anointed the Rays 1st baseman of the future.  He still has a lot to prove at the minor league level.  And with that, Tommy Joseph or any other hold over first baseman, isn't going to block Bauers' way if and when he's really ready.  Not to mention Duda along with Morrison both are free agents this upcoming off season.  So, with the obvious low cost of acquisition, Tommy Joseph logically makes a lot of sense  for Tampa because he's cheap(typical Rays), controllable, young, has power, and at a position where there will be two openings(1B/DH).  Now whether it actually happens is beside the point.  This is just a hypothetical showing that there could be a market for this boulder you feel is sinking fast into the ocean.  There is value here for the right team even if he becomes a bench bat given what it'll cost to acquire him.

And seriously why wouldn't the Rays just re-sign Logan Morrison next year

Because they are the Rays.  One of the cheapest organizations out there.  Now the could re-sign him at the same time, Morrison is coming off back to back 1 year deals.  He'll be looking for some financial security this off season.  It certainly could be with the Rays, but smart money would be that they will not be willing to give him a 2-3 year deal at 8-10 a season.

And seriously why wouldn't the Rays just re-sign Logan Morrison next year or move a corner outfielder like Corey Dickerson in to play 1B until Bauers is ready though I think he comes up earlier than later next year.

This is also a legitimate scenario.  As I said before, all I'm trying to show is that there could be value for someone like Rays for a Tommy Joseph.  I have no clue what they are going to do.  Someone like Matt Adams may make more sense to them as a stop gap solution.  

Not really because there's not guarantee Bauers will ever be ready.  He's still just a prospect(albeit a good one) and no sure bet to succeed.  Plus, as I already said, both 1B and DH are open next season.  At worst, he rides the pine or gets sent down... it's not like he's making a lot of money.

So just to be clear...

DISCLAIMER:  I am not saying the Rays will trade for Tommy Joseph.  I am saying that it would make sense for a cheap team like the Rays to explore a trade for a player like Tommy Joseph.

My original statement which started the debate:

If anything, you'll see Joseph moved in the off season so Rhys takes over at first.  

He will get moved.  There's just no room.  That's just a given IMO.   Is there someone that does not agree that in some way, shape, or form that Tommy Joseph will be moved so that Rhys takes over full time at first next season?  Does anyone really believe Tommy Joseph couldn't even fetch a bag of balls this off season from someone?

Not sure what sparked the debate because the answers are obvious.

5 hours ago, Maxcd99 said:

Although my interpretation may be completely incorrect, I've interpreted it as.

Purchased/Selected Contract- Added to 40-man from minors (this article uses "select" with adding to 40-man)

Called up- Added to 25-man from 40-man for the first time

Recalled - Added to 25-man from 40-man for the second time and after.

there has to be some technical difference between purchased and selected, though, right? both ESPN and MLB both go to the trouble to use different language at different times, surely it's not just random usage of interchangeable words..

The fact that someone has been at one level all year doesn't mean they are ready to move up, correct. Bauers has put up decent stats at AAA though. .263/.365/.410 isn't bad. Is the power low? Yes but likely the only big knock most have on him. And he has played more OF than 1B this year so he brings versatility to a small market team. I don't think an early call next season is out of the question. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 0:26 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Joseph... Granted he'd be a big step up over Joe Mauer in Minnesota but Mauer is the hometown boy ride til he dies guy with the Twins.

Mauer's hitting over .300, leads team in OBP, with .800 OPS and plays very good defense at 1B. Joseph's OPS is .730, get's on base less than 30%, all while playing in the Philly bandbox. I know there are a lot of Mauer haters with his salary, move from C, etc but these statements sure do scream trolling.  

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, melshmeister said:

Mauer's hitting over .300, leads team in OBP, with .800 OPS and plays very good defense at 1B. Joseph's OPS is .730, get's on base less than 30%, all while playing in the Philly bandbox. I know there are a lot of Mauer haters with his salary, move from C, etc but these statements sure do scream trolling.  

Only issue with him would be power right? There's plenty of power on that team to keep a leader and good all around player like Joe. 

Just now, melshmeister said:

To accuse someone of trolling is a serious charge.  I have never trolled on this or any other board online in my life.  To be accused of it now all of a sudden by some new poster who has come in and started looking for some kind of a fight is absurd.  And why?  Because you disagree with me?  And that is fine that you disagree.  I respect that.  So why don't you respect my right to disagree with your argument?  This board isn't about going around call each other names in some totally immature manner.

I am not a "Mauer hater" (whatever the hell that is suppose to mean).  I don't hate anyone personally.  I am just saying Mauer hits the least amount of homers in the one position where homers are part of the resume since the era of dead ball ended.  He has been a drag on the Twins for years because of that.  He had one spectacular year as a catcher as well as some solid years at that position as well.  But he is a failure as a 1B in the traditional sense of what a 1B should be providing his team.  He is usually last year after year in various power metrics at that position. 

So yes I totally stand by my statement because if you can't provide power at 1B you shouldn't be playing there.  That is my opinion and I stand by it.  If you disagree, and apparently you do, then disagree and state your argument which you did.  In the end we can agree to disagree like mature adults.

Sorry for going OT but the above needed to be addressed.  In other thread news, Jeimer Candelario who came over from the Cubs for Avila and Wilson was called up yesterday by Detroit and should see a number of ABs I assume because there isn't many players left to play on the Tigers these days, heh. 

• Like 4
5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

To accuse someone of trolling is a serious charge.  I have never trolled on this or any other board online in my life.  To be accused of it now all of a sudden by some new poster who has come in and started looking for some kind of a fight is absurd.  And why?  Because you disagree with me?  And that is fine that you disagree.  I respect that.  So why don't you respect my right to disagree with your argument?  This board isn't about going around call each other names in some totally immature manner.

I am not a "Mauer hater" (whatever the hell that is suppose to mean).  I don't hate anyone personally.  I am just saying Mauer hits the least amount of homers in the one position where homers are part of the resume since the era of dead ball ended.  He has been a drag on the Twins for years because of that.  He had one spectacular year as a catcher as well as some solid years at that position as well.  But he is a failure as a 1B in the traditional sense of what a 1B should be providing his team.  He is usually last year after year in various power metrics at that position. 

So yes I totally stand by my statement because if you can't provide power at 1B you shouldn't be playing there.  That is my opinion and I stand by it.  If you disagree, and apparently you do, then disagree and state your argument which you did.  In the end we can agree to disagree like mature adults.

Sorry for going OT but the above needed to be addressed.  In other thread news, Jeimer Candelario who came over from the Cubs for Avila and Wilson was called up yesterday by Detroit and should see a number of ABs I assume because there isn't many players left to play on the Tigers these days, heh. 

The other viewpoints are what I love about this site. It may not come off that way all the time.  Wish I had found this site before now. 

• Like 1

David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Braves will likely call up pitching prospect Luiz Gohara on Tuesday.

Acquired from the Mariners over the winter in the Mallex Smith trade, Gohara is a flamethrowing lefty who's struck out 147 over 123 2/3 innings over three levels in the minors this season while posting a 2.62 ERA. It's unclear whether the Braves plan to give the 21-year-old starts this month or use him in relief, as he's already well past his previous career high in innings.
  • Like 4
11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

To accuse someone of trolling is a serious charge.  I have never trolled on this or any other board online in my life.  To be accused of it now all of a sudden by some new poster who has come in and started looking for some kind of a fight is absurd.  And why?  Because you disagree with me? 

I apologize to you Big Bat theory. Your statements just didn't have any basis in reality to me and were laced with judgement about Mauer having a job due to some kind of homerism. I'll use a better choice of words (or just ignore) next time I find no merit in a particular comment that was probably just off the cuff anyway. Again, my apologies.  

• Like 2
11 hours ago, melshmeister said:

I apologize to you Big Bat theory. Your statements just didn't have any basis in reality to me and were laced with judgement about Mauer having a job due to some kind of homerism. I'll use a better choice of words (or just ignore) next time I find no merit in a particular comment that was probably just off the cuff anyway. Again, my apologies.  

No problem.  Everyone on these boards lives in their own reality.  So one person's baseball reality is another persons alternate universe here a lot.

As for homerism if you mean Mauer's lack of homer power, I agree.  :-)  But if you mean favorite baseball teams well I do not practice homerism in fantasy baseball either on my dynasty teams or on this forum. 

For the record I have no investment bad or good in the Twins in "real life".  I am a Red Sox fan but I own far more Yankees (gasp) on my teams than Red Sox and could care less what player plays for what team.  I hope Gary Sanchez hits a home run pretty much every time he is at the plate against my Sox though I hope they make up that difference in the score eventually of course.  Well unless Sanchez is also batting against a pitcher I own in the game.  (Hey it is no bueno against Pomeranz there Gary.  Wait until you get to the Sox pen please.  I don't own Kimbrell but my league rival does).

Back on topic.  I did not see Gohara being called up first in Atlanta's Septemberfest.  I read speculation this season he might be up at the end of next year.  And yeah I can't imagine they would use him the rest of the season in other than the bullpen with the innings counts etc.  But in so doing they lose a month into next year if they want the extra year of control and they aren't in contention this year so the reason for the call-up is what?  Or is this a sign of maybe a mid-season call up next year?  Rules, MLB agreements with the players' union, contracts, innings counts ... my head is hurting figuring this all out.  Remember when baseball was a simpler game and they just called up players in September based on baseball reasons only?

• JFS179 locked this topic