NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brad Peacock 2017 Outlook

Just now, Flyman75 said:

What happens when everyone is healthy...McCullers, then Morton and Keuchel? Back to the pen?

With those 3 guys coming back it's going to come down to who's pitching better between Fiers, Peacock and Musgrove. Right now Peacock has been the better pitcher but they are also needing to use their bullpen earlier in games that he pitches. They don't want to burn out Devenski, Harris, and the rest of their MR/LR guys before the playoffs so that also comes into play. I hope this doesn't happen since I own Peacock but I could see a likely scenario where peacock is back in the pen if Fiers and Musgrove are pitching well. Fiers has come through with good outings in 5 of his last 7 starts and Musgrove has actually been hit or miss and has put up some clunkers recently. So this is a situation to watch if you're a Peacock owner or looking to invest in him. 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

With those 3 guys coming back it's going to come down to who's pitching better between Fiers, Peacock and Musgrove. Right now Peacock has been the better pitcher but they are also needing to use their bullpen earlier in games that he pitches. They don't want to burn out Devenski, Harris, and the rest of their MR/LR guys before the playoffs so that also comes into play. I hope this doesn't happen since I own Peacock but I could see a likely scenario where peacock is back in the pen if Fiers and Musgrove are pitching well. Fiers has come through with good outings in 5 of his last 7 starts and Musgrove has actually been hit or miss and has put up some clunkers recently. So this is a situation to watch if you're a Peacock owner or looking to invest in him. 

No way they put peacock back in the pen. Guy is way way way too good.  They'll put martes in the pen for more fire power. Peacock will stay in this rotation 

20 minutes ago, NyMetsfan5 said:

No way they put peacock back in the pen. Guy is way way way too good.  They'll put martes in the pen for more fire power. Peacock will stay in this rotation 

Martes is almost certain to lose his spot in the rotation when McCullers comes back this weekend but he's not even in the equation for starts when Keuchel and Morton follow McCullers off the DL. When that happens you're looking at Keuchel, McCullers, Morton, and two of the following 3 guys...Peacock, Musgrove, and Fiers. Unless you believe they'll go with a 6 man rotation, which I doubt they do. I also think it would benefit them to keep Peacock in the rotation based on how he's been pitching but they definitely have some depth in their rotation that they need to sort out when all these injured guys come back. 

15 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Martes is almost certain to lose his spot in the rotation when McCullers comes back this weekend but he's not even in the equation for starts when Keuchel and Morton follow McCullers off the DL. When that happens you're looking at Keuchel, McCullers, Morton, and two of the following 3 guys...Peacock, Musgrove, and Fiers. Unless you believe they'll go with a 6 man rotation, which I doubt they do. I also think it would benefit them to keep Peacock in the rotation based on how he's been pitching but they definitely have some depth in their rotation that they need to sort out when all these injured guys come back. 

Peacock initially took Fiers' job prior to the injuries. Since Fiers found his way back in, though, he's pitched very well. I suspect he'll turn back into a pumpkin before this becomes an issue, but if he keeps it up then we'll have to see; if both guys are rolling, Fiers (at least for now) has been able to go deeper into games.

I suspect Musgrove is the low man at this point, if they had to make the call today.

52 minutes ago, NyMetsfan5 said:

Martes isn't even in the conversation when the trio is healthy. 

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

What happens when everyone is healthy...McCullers, then Morton and Keuchel? Back to the pen?

Maybe they go w/ a 6 man to keep the wear down on them.  also it's unlikely that 3 DL'd arms all come back healthy and stay healthy.

Edited by ragrag

Maybe they pull a Dodgers and keep rotating a guy through the 10-day DL. I just hope they at least make up cool excuses for it.

McCullers lands on the 10-day DL, retroactive to June 18, with amoebic dysentery.

Keuchel goes back on the DL with lexical-gustatory synesthesia (a taste is experienced when hearing words, e.g., hearing the words "Craig Biggio" taste like waffles).

1 minute ago, BostonCajun said:

I'm hoping this is just yahoo messing up and calling it DTD before he officially gets out on paternity leave 

That's what I'm thinking because I'm looking at Astros news everywhere and don't see anything. But knowing my luck he needs TJ surgery. 

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

That's what I'm thinking because I'm looking at Astros news everywhere and don't see anything. But knowing my luck he needs TJ surgery. 

Take it back! Take it back I said!

On 6/21/2017 at 4:38 PM, Random Dude said:

Maybe he made sure his wife squeezed the little guy out in between starts so that he could still have a two start week. 

That's what I figured.This guy has a chance to show the fantasy world what he's all about here.

Don't blow this Brad- there will be plenty of other kids,but the opportunity to start twice in 1 week for my fantasy team might only come around 2 or 3 times.Make sure you have your priorities straight.

So he's now got at home against Oakland, we should be rather excited for this start right ?

They've hit lousy lately and fan a lot to begin with, seems ripe for a nice start with decent Ks imo.

13 minutes ago, ragrag said:

Takes 106 PC to get through 5IP issuing 6 free passes.  It's a wonder he only allowed 1 ER.  

Only two hits though. I was watching the start. He got squeezed by the ump on more than a few occasions. The guy is impressive. He does need to reduce the walks, but he's still extremely effective.

49 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Only two hits though. I was watching the start. He got squeezed by the ump on more than a few occasions. The guy is impressive. He does need to reduce the walks, but he's still extremely effective.

If he cleans up walks - im thinking hes Corey Kluber esque possible Scherzer or Kershaw - Lite.

16 walks in his last 18.1 ip. That won't get it done in the long run. Not giving up much contact though, and obviously getting a ton of k's. I would be happy if he could even get to a 4.00 bb/9. With 51 k's in 33.1ip as a starter he obviously has tremendous upside, but he's going to need to significantly drop his walk rate to continue being good moving forward.