NBC Sports Edge Forums

Demaryius Thomas 2017 Outlook

16 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

The final stat line was not bad.  5-for-67 is a pace of 80 catches and 1072 yards.  

You know how many WRs had 80 or more catches and 1072 or more yards last year?  14 (one of whom was Thomas itself).

I just don't understand why people complain around here so much.  I'll take 5/67 every game all year if he mixes in 8 TDs.  That would make him WR13 for the season based on last year's numbers.

Relax. Nobody's saying to drop him or sell low or anything like that. The combination of a WR we drafted top 30 seeing only 8 targets week 1 and the thought that Denver could spread it around a little more this year rather than just feed Thomas/Sanders is MILDLY concerning. 

He'll probably have a fine season. But as I said in my original post, I didn't watch the game, as I'm sure many others didn't considering it went until 1 am east coast time. I was simply asking IF those that did catch it had any concerns about a game that saw him score single digit points in .5 ppr. My sincerest apologies for asking...

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

"only 8 targets" 

:D

LOVE that this was the only thing you took away from my post and completely ignored the rest. For reference, he's the targets some of the guys getting drafted around his adp saw:

allen - 10

pryor - 11

Hopkins - 16

Fitz - 13

Tate - 12

And before you respond you should know that yes, I am saying DT sucks, he will not have better games than this all year, and you should drop him before you drop arob

?

21 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

We could play this game all day

Julio - 5 targets

Kelvin Benjamin - 5 targets

Jordy - 8 targets

Diggs - 8 targets 

Michael Thomas - 8 targets

Baldwin - 4 targets

etc etc etc

Oh yea we could!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingTargets

Thanks for your helpful insight!

I didn't even take your first question as complaining or anything fwiw. This last game was basically DT's floor. He was the 9th most targeted player in the league last season and I don't see that changing drastically either way. Denver was just trying to get the run game established and as soon as they got up multiple scores they relied on the run to an almost stubborn degree and nearly lost the game because of it. Hopefully they learn from that mistake

Edited by lolcopter
6 hours ago, rigadoog said:

Good buy low candidate if you ask me. TDs will come. Much bigger target than Sanders, though I admit his route running isn't even close. 

What's frustrating is he doesn't even seem to get looks in the end zone - it seems like it's often going to a TE or some scrub WR (Fowler). He could be a low-end WR1 if he could just score more frequently.

4 hours ago, Vendetta said:

What's frustrating is he doesn't even seem to get looks in the end zone - it seems like it's often going to a TE or some scrub WR (Fowler). He could be a low-end WR1 if he could just score more frequently.

Could be that he's given more attention than other receivers. If this is the case, it likely won't last as Siemian has shown he can spread the ball, and teams will have to honor that.

1 minute ago, rigadoog said:

Could be that he's given more attention than other receivers. If this is the case, it likely won't last as Siemian has shown he can spread the ball, and teams will have to honor that.

I hope so - I seem to have a glut of receivers that exist to distract so their teammates can catch all of the TD's (Demaryius helping Sanders, Julio helping Sanu, Cooks helping Hogan, etc.).

In the case of Demaryius vs. Sanders though, I agree with your assessment that there's a huge gap between the two on route-running ability - Sanders is elite at that, and he gets the attention of Siemian because his route-running allows him to get really open sometimes. He just doesn't get as much respect as he deserves because of his small frame relative to Demaryius's.

5 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

I hope so - I seem to have a glut of receivers that exist to distract so their teammates can catch all of the TD's (Demaryius helping Sanders, Julio helping Sanu, Cooks helping Hogan, etc.).

In the case of Demaryius vs. Sanders though, I agree with your assessment that there's a huge gap between the two on route-running ability - Sanders is elite at that, and he gets the attention of Siemian because his route-running allows him to get really open sometimes. He just doesn't get as much respect as he deserves because of his small frame relative to Demaryius's.

Keep faith in those WRs... when I started reading I thought you were gonna say Amari Cooper lol.

7 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

dude was wide open for a td and siemen didn't see him. Decided to force the ball over the middle for an incompletion. Cost me a W this week

DT looks good though

I saw that. I feel like these are the type of plays that Siemian will only improve at as he matures as a QB.

I'm sure DT let him know about that though lol.

Edited by rigadoog
3 minutes ago, rigadoog said:

Keep faith in those WRs... when I started reading I thought you were gonna say Amari Cooper lol.

Haha, Cooper's even worse! 3 Crabtree TD's yesterday vs. Cooper's anemic statline is brutal, especially if the Cooper owner played the Crabtree owner!

12 hours ago, rigadoog said:

Good buy low candidate if you ask me. TDs will come. Much bigger target than Sanders, though I admit his route running isn't even close. 

that and Trevor Seimian looks really good out there, with a really solid running game and him and Sanders outside I like this offense, especially at home. 

18 minutes ago, TheDoctor said:

This happened all last year. DT got the yardage while Sanders the TDs. 

Unless I'm reading something wrong, DT and Sanders both scored 5 TDs each last year.

Edit: ninja'd

Edited by rigadoog
46 minutes ago, Ffguy0087 said:

Care to explain this?

Sorry I mis-spoke.  It felt like Sanders had the TDs and DT the yardage game in and game out although they had the same amount of TDs. DT never had a multi-TD game last year. It always felt like Sanders was the targeted guy in the redzone more than DT and sure felt like Siemian looked his way a lot more around the goaline. 

Edited by TheDoctor
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Demaryius Thomas 2017 Outlook
  • phatrat locked this topic
  • phatrat unlocked this topic