NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Holland 2017 Outlook

Obviously a beast thus far in 2017, but he hasn't pitched in so long.

Seems odd that they wouldn't wanna get him in a game just for the action whether it's a blowout or down 3 runs, whatever.

Last 12 Colorado games, he's thrown just 1.2 Innings.

Gave up a run.  Alert the press.  

How cool/ironic is it that Paul DeJong homers in his very first MLB at bat off one of the leagues best closers -- whether or not it's at COL?  Welcome to the bigs kid.  

55 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

I sold him a couple weeks ago thinking I was selling high. Thought the combo of coors/past injury/etc there was no way he'd continue to be dominant. I was wrong 

tried to sell high, but was met with "sorry, I don't trust Coors"

joke's on them.

...for now 

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, william said:

He didn't come out today for the save chance, Rockies wanting to give him 2 straight days off?

Yeah, that was the plan going in. He had pitched three straight days beforehand, and a couple of those were relatively long outings. Black said he wanted to give his arm at least 72 hours of rest, hence why McGee got the save opportunity (and subsequently blew it). 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hah, funny you should ask -- I was literally coming here to post my Holland thoughts in the closer thread.

I just dropped him.  Obviously people who need every save are going to want to show more patience, but we have to remember that this guy was pretty much an afterthought at the beginning of the year, and Colorado closers are always going to have more ratio risk than guys who play half their games in more favorable conditions.  I'm thankful for what he's given me in the saves column this season, but whether it's his stamina, something mechanically, or just natural regression, I don't think a handful of saves he might get are worth the risk of more double-digit ERA outings.

I'd be holding on but benching if I had the room, but it's the time of year where every roster slot matters, and I'm in a 5-way fight for first.  Holland was the odd man out.

4 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Hah, funny you should ask -- I was literally coming here to post my Holland thoughts in the closer thread.

I just dropped him.  Obviously people who need every save are going to want to show more patience, but we have to remember that this guy was pretty much an afterthought at the beginning of the year, and Colorado closers are always going to have more ratio risk than guys who play half their games in more favorable conditions.  I'm thankful for what he's given me in the saves column this season, but whether it's his stamina, something mechanically, or just natural regression, I don't think a handful of saves he might get are worth the risk of more double-digit ERA outings.

I'd be holding on but benching if I had the room, but it's the time of year where every roster slot matters, and I'm in a 5-way fight for first.  Holland was the odd man out.

You're reading my mind. I'm in the 2nd round of my playoffs, and every move is massive with getting the edge. I do have other options - (Knebel, Rodney, Riverio, Doolittle) but it's always nice to have that extra option. But the recent struggles and blowups can destroy a matchup

I can see dropping him in a weekly. I just ask myself if I'm realistically going to commit to putting him out there for a full week, even if he has a couple good outings in a row? After what he's done recently, I can't see myself taking that risk. I'm only keeping him for now because of my own situation -- the team just ahead of me in first place needs saves and is right behind me in saves, so I'm sure he'd pick Holland up if I dropped him.