NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

His clock was already started.. His Option years also started last year, oh and he's a member of the MLBPA for being the 40 man.

Its a different scale keeping guys down on the 40 vs ones that are off it.  His 31 days of service time means he will have to held down until the 3rd Week of May before getting called for year of control. His own personal super 2 is also past now.

A plan to hold him down THAT long in AAA would have given the MLBPA more juice to fight than usual. Also, what happens if these Infielders gets injured? They commit to holding down that long. They will have to DFA someone every-time and get someone from off 40 man. Risk losing other players to waivers..

Ah, didn't know it was a different service clock for guys on the 40 man than not.   Thought it was merely a matter of counting days on the 25 man MLB roster.

9 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Ah, didn't know it was a different service clock for guys on the 40 man than not.   Thought it was merely a matter of counting days on the 25 man MLB roster.

It is the same except demotions need to last over a month for the clock to stop. Anything within a month keeps it going or a september call will always cost 30 days regardless how long they were actually playing because the season ends in less than 30 days.

His little cup of Coffee with the Red Sox last year costed 31 days. Pushing all the financials 1 full month later.

Edited by Slatykamora

Great trade for the white sox. Not sure why the Yankees gave up so much for a scrubby Frazier.  They have not shot at the title.  Dopey trade

Edited by mrkrab
35 minutes ago, mrkrab said:

Great trade for the white sox. Not sure why the Yankees gave up so much for a scrubby Frazier.  They have not shot at the title.  Dopey trade

A take that will likely be at odds with every objective, informed analysis over the next 48 hours. 

And they didn't give up "so much" for Frazier. The most valuable asset in the deal is Kahnle. And Robertson is still a very valuable reliever who can help this year and next. His contract is bad but somewhat offset by the Yankees sending Clippard back. 

4 hours ago, mrkrab said:

didnt really give up alot. gave up clippard who has been far from good this year. rutherford who is years away and also blocked by other outfielders. gave up clarkin who has been injured a little bit but good when healthy. solid move by the yankees deepens the bullpen. 

1 hour ago, mortl said:

didnt really give up alot. gave up clippard who has been far from good this year. rutherford who is years away and also blocked by other outfielders. gave up clarkin who has been injured a little bit but good when healthy. solid move by the yankees deepens the bullpen. 

wow this is true.. i thought clippard had actually been pretty good this year, but his numbers are ugly. hell, getting rid of him is a positive purely from the ol' addition by subtraction method.

I love this the red star feature

these last few pages were comical ...the Red Sox fan turning himself into jello was hilarious. 

the fact -- Red Sox fans want a new third baseman and they were hoping it was Todd Frazier. A homegrown New Englander coming home could have had that warmy fussy feeling belting homers into the Monster .... now it looks the focus is on Eduardo Nunez .

here is and article https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/07/18/yankees-not-red-sox-close-deal-for-todd-frazier/pabk0z63vb0WkUnjr5yRhI/story.html

Just now, smeeze said:

I'm a Jays fan.  I hate you all equally, but come on... Todd Frazier is washed up, offers nothing on the base paths, and is barely above the Mendoza line.  

How does a guy go from hitting 40 HRs last season,  to washed up. Come on now

I don't think Nunez would be a bad get for Boston personally. Gotta imagine he won't cost a lot and he's having a great season. As a fantasy player in a keeper league I want Devers but in reality it doesn't seem like that's the direction they want right to go in now. 

20 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

i dunno why dont you ask todd frazier

Or Chris Carter. I am a Yankees fan and I am not a big fan of this trade. Obviously, this trade was made to secure the bullpen and not because of Frazier. 

6 hours ago, absknicks said:

A take that will likely be at odds with every objective, informed analysis over the next 48 hours. 

And they didn't give up "so much" for Frazier. The most valuable asset in the deal is Kahnle. And Robertson is still a very valuable reliever who can help this year and next. His contract is bad but somewhat offset by the Yankees sending Clippard back. 

Incorrect. You must be a biased uninformed yankee fan. I never seen a dopier fan base. Horrible trade giving up a top 50 prospect for a washed up 3rd basemen and a few closers who will be out out of the league in a few years. Just a head scratcher of a move. Yanks have no shot at the title so why make a move like this? I get Judge is having his career year (believe me he value has peaked) and the yanks have overachived but with that pitching staff, they have 0.0 shot of a title.

Edited by mrkrab

Yankees have a real shot at both their division and the wild card. How is they have no shot at a WS? 

Robertson and Kahnle are under contract beyond this season so this deal isn't just for this year. Frazier was the least valuable part coming to NY. 

4 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Yankees have a real shot at both their division and the wild card. How is they have no shot at a WS? 

Robertson and Kahnle are under contract beyond this season so this deal isn't just for this year. Frazier was the least valuable part coming to NY. 

They have no starting pitching. They are so far away in terms of talent from the Astros, Dodgers and Cubs.

Edited by mrkrab
38 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I'm a Jays fan.  I hate you all equally, but come on... Todd Frazier is washed up, offers nothing on the base paths, and is barely above the Mendoza line.  

maybe the change of scenery could might help the Todd-father .... stay tuned

45 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I love this the red star feature

these last few pages were comical ...the Red Sox fan turning himself into jello was hilarious. 

the fact -- Red Sox fans want a new third baseman and they were hoping it was Todd Frazier. A homegrown New Englander coming home could have had that warmy fussy feeling belting homers into the Monster .... now it looks the focus is on Eduardo Nunez .

here is and article https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/07/18/yankees-not-red-sox-close-deal-for-todd-frazier/pabk0z63vb0WkUnjr5yRhI/story.html

He's from Toms River NJ and grew up a Yankee fan. 

1 minute ago, duke of queens said:

He's from Toms River NJ and grew up a Yankee fan. 

I know that ... Little League World Series hero

he was a big Derek Jeter fan

oh yea New Jersey is not part of the New England states ... my bad again

1 hour ago, mrkrab said:

They have no starting pitching. They are so far away in terms of talent from the Astros, Dodgers and Cubs.

I didn't say they're a favorite. I'm disputing your claim of them having no chance. They're in the running for the division and wild card. They score a lot of runs, have a decent rotation, and a killer bullpen. 

How is it they have no chance? 

19 hours ago, mrkrab said:

Incorrect. You must be a biased uninformed yankee fan. I never seen a dopier fan base. Horrible trade giving up a top 50 prospect for a washed up 3rd basemen and a few closers who will be out out of the league in a few years. Just a head scratcher of a move. Yanks have no shot at the title so why make a move like this? I get Judge is having his career year (believe me he value has peaked) and the yanks have overachived but with that pitching staff, they have 0.0 shot of a title.

This is a ridiculous comment. Yanks have no chance at a title? You silly goose. 

1 minute ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

This is a ridiculous comment. Yanks have no chance at a title? You silly goose. 

With those starting pitchers 0.0 chance. Get real yankee fans