NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

8 minutes ago, mrkrab said:

With those starting pitchers 0.0 chance. Get real yankee fans

If a team gets in the baseball playoffs, they have a 1 out of 10 chance to win the World Series 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, smeeze said:

I'm a Jays fan.  I hate you all equally, but come on... Todd Frazier is washed up, offers nothing on the base paths, and is barely above the Mendoza line.  

todd frazier has a wRC+ of 103 on the season (.327 wOBA), while the yankees 3B production has been 23rd in the league with an 87 wRC+ (.304 wOBA).

todd frazier has been 16% better offensively than what the yanks have been trotting out there only a daily basis. he's no world beater, but he's certainly better than the current situation. 

if they think they can compete this year, this isn't a bad move by the yanks.

13 minutes ago, mrkrab said:

With those starting pitchers 0.0 chance. Get real yankee fans

They have the third best team era in the AL. This was before the trade that made their bullpen even better. 

I'm starting to suspect you don't actually have any idea what you're talking about but would like to see you actually explain how a team with the 3rd best era and 2nd best offense in the AL has zero chance. 

4 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

i dunno why dont you ask todd frazier

I thought you were going to say ask Chris Carter 

Edited by 2ndCitySox
2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

4.18 is the Yankees team ERA for Starting Pitchers. 9th best in Baseball. Not too shabby. Shape up. 

2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

They have the third best team era in the AL. This was before the trade that made their bullpen even better. 

I'm starting to suspect you don't actually have any idea what you're talking about but would like to see you actually explain how a team with the 3rd best era and 2nd best offense in the AL has zero chance. 

I think he went into hiding..

Good !  Got pretty old reading the bickering . Would be nice to see some trade talk and not My grade school kid beat up your honor student.

Saw something where a writer thinks its a given Miggy ends up in Boston ? Anybody else see that ? Wow ! in that lineup and ball park. Hell. The division. The pitching sucks.

2 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Good !  Got pretty old reading the bickering . Would be nice to see some trade talk and not My grade school kid beat up your honor student.

Saw something where a writer thinks its a given Miggy ends up in Boston ? Anybody else see that ? Wow ! in that lineup and ball park. Hell. The division. The pitching sucks.

No, I think it was just an ARod suggestion. Nothing to see.

18 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Ah right. If anybody would know it would be you. Thanks. Other than Nunez to Boston pretty quiet. With the two RP trades in the last couple of days would have thought Justin Wilson would be on a plane somewhere by now.

I'd love Nunez to go to Boston. He's a really underrated player, and I think his speed would really play on that team.

Nunez is out of the lineup... Looks like his hamstring is tight, but could also be B.S... I really hope he's going to the Sox...

New Player Note Wed, Jul 19

Eduardo Nunez is out of the Giants' starting lineup on Wednesday due to hamstring tightness.

Advice: Nunez is an important trade chip for the Giants, so they'll play this one safe. The 30-year-old third baseman has dealt with hamstring problems throughout this season, and throughout the latter part of his eight-year MLB career. USA Today's Bob Nightengale reported Wednesday morning that Nunez is drawing serious trade interest from the Red Sox.

1 hour ago, motown magic said:

Ah right. If anybody would know it would be you. Thanks. Other than Nunez to Boston pretty quiet. With the two RP trades in the last couple of days would have thought Justin Wilson would be on a plane somewhere by now.

I think relievers like Wilson and David Phelps and AJ Ramos and Neshek and Addison Reed will go sooner than later.  But don't be surprised if the sellers are currently playing chicken with the would-be buyers waiting until the last day to jack up their return.  Rotoworld blurb says up t 10 plus teams have shown interested in Justin Wilson given he is a lefty.  Detroit can afford to sit back and let the bids go up ... unless another team like say the Marlins starts dealing sooner and removing bidders from the Tigers' pool. 

So there is probably a sub-set of chicken being played between sellers as well.  Will Miami sell first or Detroit or the Phils or the Mets now that Oakland and the White Sox have sold off their guys.  Tune in all week and next for "Tales from the Bullpen."

41 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

I'd love Nunez to go to Boston. He's a really underrated player, and I think his speed would really play on that team.

That deal I could get behind since his speed fits in with the new look Boston team who has been using speed more this year than in the past because, well, no Big Papi bat to just trot runners home with anymore.  And he should be fairly cheap given no one else is chasing 3B now and the Giants are desperate for prospects at almost any position given how terrible their farm system is.  Of course his constant hamstring stuff is an issue.

Moose is the best 3B out there but he would cost way WAY too much to rent.  And though KC has fallen off it's latest surge to remain in they still aren't ready to start selling yet either.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
5 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

How about the Jays getting in on the action, trade JD and Happ to Houston for Bregman, Fisher, Martes and another prospect, i doubt they move Tucker

Why would Houston give up 4 top prospects for that after seeing what Martinez was traded for? Can't see it in reality

41 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Why would Houston give up 4 top prospects for that after seeing what Martinez was traded for? Can't see it in reality

Martinez is a free agent at the end of the year, Donaldson and Happ are not

On 7/18/2017 at 9:25 PM, Golden Spikes said:

If Rutherford is the major piece sox got jobbed 

23 hours ago, absknicks said:

It means something, especially since he's a year older than most of the HS draftees in last year's class. 

I'm not a Law fan by any means but it was still worth pointing out. 

As a Yankees fan I'm fine with the deal. 

Sure. Not hitting the over the fence power is something to note.. Maybe you can't call him a top 30 prospect ATM and more a back end top 100 guy. Though I think the concerns are more because he was rated so so highly and those were part of the initial expectations then his actual projectio as a productive MLBer.  20 is still a younger age to level for low A. Just AS young as other prospect paths.

I mean Amed Rosario is a top 10 prospect, yet if you read any of his scouting reports. He has a swing that actively deters hitting for power..  

Obviously SS in AAA>CF in A..but he still has all the traits of being a plus hitter with a very project-able 6'3 frame that he hasn't fully grown into yet. Even the reports of him last year is that tends to have a lower effort swing currently not trying to hit a ton of FBs or anything. He's not trying to do to much. Which I don't really have a problem with for a project able prospect if he wants to focus on hitting before hitting for power.

The Plus hitter + Plus athlete with sizable frame combo is still coveted skill traits in the prospect world because of the upside those players have. How often they turn into respectable MLBers relative to other skill sets.  BA still had Rutherford him ranked in the top 50 in the mid-season update. So this being down on Rutherford is far from a consensus thing

Edited by Slatykamora
3 hours ago, azeri98 said:

Martinez is a free agent at the end of the year, Donaldson and Happ are not

but Donaldson is up for his last year of arb....and made 17 mil this year...usually it goes upward....looking at 18-20 mil on the payroll

as good as Houston is....it isn't LA..Boston...NY

thats a BIG LEAGUE financial commitment....plus that sends a s*** message to Altuve who is making peanuts for what he's doing

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
8 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

but Donaldson is up for his last year of arb....and made 17 mil this year...usually it goes upward....looking at 18-20 mil on the payroll

thats a BIG LEAGUE financial commitment....plus that sends a s*** message to Altuve who is making peanuts for what he's doing

Astros are spending under the league average, but it's still $136,827,787 (according to SportTrac). That payroll is going to drop to $65,825,000 in 2018.

Beltran ($16,000,000) and Gregerson ($6,000,000) will be gone in 2018.

Altuve's salary has nothing to do with signing guys or taking on money. He isn't going to go out there and crap the bed because he makes less... that would mean he won't get a big contract later.

The Astros payroll has gone up 30.1% (Forbes) and they are the 13% most valued team at $1,450,000,000, a 32% increase in 1 year. They had a revenue of $299,000,000 and an operating cost of only $75,900,000.

This team is making money and has no reason not to spend it. 2018 and beyond are going to require them to spend. If they could grab Donaldson he would obviously help them, but what they need is a pitcher... not a bat.

9 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

The Pirates had a chance to make a run a few years ago and didn't add and it could have cost them,would hate to see Houston do the same, when you're a small market you should try to go for it like the Royals did, you never know when you are going to get that chance again