NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

5 hours ago, azeri98 said:

The Pirates had a chance to make a run a few years ago and didn't add and it could have cost them,would hate to see Houston do the same, when you're a small market you should try to go for it like the Royals did, you never know when you are going to get that chance again

Houston is the 4th largest city in the US. How is it considered a small market? 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Z06vette said:

The Dodgers will probably snag one of these pitchers. I wouldn't be shocked if Gray went to the Dodgers.

They're already looking at a possible 6-man rotation. Who's out if they trade for Gray? 

4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

They're already looking at a possible 6-man rotation. Who's out if they trade for Gray? 

Pretty much anyone not named Kershaw or Wood? Maeda has been in and out of the BP, Hill can't stay healthy, Ryu is always hurt, McCartchy has the body of a 90 year old,,,

2 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Pretty much anyone not named Kershaw or Wood? Maeda has been in and out of the BP, Hill can't stay healthy, Ryu is always hurt, McCartchy has the body of a 90 year old,,,

Lol at the McCarthy comment. Haha! 

They might honestly be looking at a playoff rotation of Kershaw-Wood-Gray and sorting out the other riff-raff if they can get a deal done. I was just curious what everyone's perspective on that situation would be. Maybe Kershaw-Wood-Gray-Hill (when healthy)-McCarthy (when healthy)-Ryu (when Hill and/or McCarthy aren't healthy)? Toss Maeda to the pen unless an injury opens a door...LOL, sorry, WHEN an injury opens a door. 

9 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Lol at the McCarthy comment. Haha! 

They might honestly be looking at a playoff rotation of Kershaw-Wood-Gray and sorting out the other riff-raff if they can get a deal done. I was just curious what everyone's perspective on that situation would be. Maybe Kershaw-Wood-Gray-Hill (when healthy)-McCarthy (when healthy)-Ryu (when Hill and/or McCarthy aren't healthy)? Toss Maeda to the pen unless an injury opens a door...LOL, sorry, WHEN an injury opens a door. 

Thing is, can they toss McCarthy/Maeda in the BP for the playoffs? Might be pretty sweet. Kershaw-Wood-Gray, 1-2-3 in the playoffs, with a BP like that? I think that would be pretty stellar, especially if they keep tearing the cover off the ball. Plus, if Gray sucks randomly, you "insert" the other guys (Ryu, Maeda, McCarthy, etc).

I think they'll pass on the 6-man rotation and see what they can put together. 

41 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Was about to post the same thing. Houston ranks middle-of-the-pack in terms of MLB market size for various reasons, but it's not Pittsburgh or KC by any means.

The Astros have an excellent young nucleus that will be under team control for a while and a strong farm system. There's no need to look at 2017 as their one and only shot.

It's official.  mariners did get David Phelps per our buddy at Rotoworld's blurbs:

Mariners acquired RHP David Phelps from the Marlins for OF Brayan Hernandez, RHP Brandon Miller, RHP Pablo Lopez, and RHP Lukas Schiraldi.

Word of the deal was first reported late Wednesday night by MLB.com's Mark Feinsand. It just took a little while longer for the Marlins to pick through the Mariners' minor league system. Phelps will work as a setup man in Seattle for young closer Edwin Diaz, and it should be a good fit. The 30-year-old right-hander boasts a 2.69 ERA and 11.1 K/9 in 133 2/3 innings since the beginning of the 2016 season and he's averaging a career-best 94.4 mph on his fastball this summer. Phelps will be arbitration-eligible in 2018 with free agency coming in 2019.

They didn't give up either of their two top OF prospects so seems Miami got back some low minors guys since I've never heard of any of them before.

As regards Houston, why on earth anyone here thinks they should trade good up and coming players who will make them contenders either now and/or for years to come for what looks like a washed up (for this year at least which is the year you are getting them for) Josh Donaldson or Justin Verlander is beyond my understanding. 

You trade to improve.  Not to accept mega-contract dumps from other teams that will make you worse.  You don't trade for blasts from the past that are doing really bad right now and are at the end of their prime years. 

You make a one year run then vets that are having a great or at least a good year as a rental makes some sense.  But these guys aren't.  They are degrading your team; not upgrading it.  Houston is trying to build themselves a dynasty, not a one year wonder what to speak of weakening their team this year.  Have you seen Donaldson this year?  He looks totally lost at the plate.  How on earth  can a slumping, oft-injured, frustrated Donaldson be an upgrade?

The Astros should use some of their prospects to pack their bullpen from end to end so if their starters have a bad day they have the reserves to back them up.  You only need 2 to 3 stud starters in the playoffs.  You don't need a full five at that point.  Number 5 will never pitch and number 4 is in the bullpen for depth.  And Houston is basically at that point.  They aren't playing the rest of the regular season to make the playoffs.  They already have made them barring an outbreak of the plague in the city.  They have to look to trade for playoff help.  Not regular season help.

A Rotoworld blurb right now said that Aaron Blair was scratched from his start tonight an AAA.  Maybe to take Garcia's place in the Braves rotation if said deal above is close to done. 

There was also mention there were a half dozen teams in on Garcia so even if the Brewers deal falls through it is looking like Garcia is out of Atlanta sometime real soon. Garcia is a FA-to-be rental on a 4 million dollar contract this year.  Good pick-up for anyone in the playoffs mix.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
6 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

BlueJays pretty much answered this, but a good question, and just think Kazmir may be back soon. I just keep hearing on MLB the Dodgers want another starting pitcher....I have no source and haven't even read anything about Gray going to the Dodgers, just gut feeling Dodgers land a very good pitcher, when rumors suggesting another team.

Another note; If Britton can prove to be healthy and the Dodgers land him, Dodger bullpen will be off the charts. 

19 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

They have been a low payroll team for a long time, not by population size but by payroll

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Wow that may be the worst trade I've seen in a while, and I saw the JD Martinez trade a few days ago.  That's saying something.

for who?  seattle?  as a cards fan, i don't mind it.  Marco obviously had no future here

For Seattle. O'Neil is a top 40 propsect right now and Marco Gonzales is who again???

This is an insane deal.

Just now, crotchcrickets said:

for who?  seattle?  as a cards fan, i don't mind it.  Marco obviously had no future here

Yes, Seattle.  Giving up a top 25 overall prospect for someone who may not be in the organizational top 15.  A guy who is 25 coming off of TJS.   Even if the Mariners wanted to deal Oneil, the return could have been better.  

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Yes, Seattle.  Giving up a top 25 overall prospect for someone who may not be in the organizational top 15.  A guy who is 25 coming off of TJS.   Even if the Mariners wanted to deal Oneil, the return could have been better.  

ahh yea, for whatever i spaced on O'Neill as a top prospect.

Maybe i'm biased, but i think Marco will be pretty good once he gets past his injury.

You're prolly right on the return for o'neill however