NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

With Kershaw going down today maybe that will be the kicker. Go get Yu. 

Rangers are walking a tight rope here. They just swept their weekend series vs TB to climb within 2.5 of wild card. I'd honestly be shocked if they dealt Yu come July 31st if still at 2.5 games out of wild card race or better.

9 hours ago, Dugout Legend said:

Rangers are walking a tight rope here. They just swept their weekend series vs TB to climb within 2.5 of wild card. I'd honestly be shocked if they dealt Yu come July 31st if still at 2.5 games out of wild card race or better.

Yeah that seems a little premature to sell him right now after this weekend's series. They face off against the Marlins at home for the next 3 days then have another home series against the Orioles leading up to the deadline on Monday. 

Meanwhile teams ahead of them are MIN, LAA, and Seattle. MIN plays 3 games at the Dodgers next then 3 in OAK. LAA has 3 at CLE and then 3 at TOR. Seattle plays 3 in Boston and then 3 at home vs the Mets. So each of those 3 teams ahead of them could very easily lose some ground to the Rangers this week. 

It's going to be an interesting week for sure. I agree though, if they're within 2-3 games of the WC I don't see them selling Darvish. 

As a Rangers fan (and of Darvish, as well), I really do hope they are sellers.  The team is incredibly flawed.   Even if they were somehow to secure a WC, it would most likely be one and done.  Trade Darvish, Hamels, Lucroy, and whoever else can bring them something in return.  Watching this team on a nightly basis, has become borderline excruciating.

July 24th, 2017 at 5:24pm CST • By Jeff Todd

The Royals have struck an interesting trade with the Padres involving a whole host of pitchers, as Robert Murray of Fan Rag has first reported on Twitter. Kansas City will add starter Trevor Cahill, righty reliever Brandon Maurer, and southpaw Ryan Buchter. In exchange, the Pads will pick up southpaws Matt Strahm and Travis Wood along with prospect Esteury Ruiz.

2 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

Jeff PassanVerified account @JeffPassan

Source: Royals and Padres nearing completion on a trade that sends Maurer, Cahill, Buchter to KC for T. Wood, Matt Strahm and a prospect.

I like this for the Royals pen.  Cahill as 5th starter but adding Maurer to setup for Herrera is big.

16 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Verlander is the perfect fit for them. What can they give up?

If they swallow all his contract maybe not much. 

And I agree that he'd be a good fit.  

They need a starting pitcher that can withstand the marathon of the rest of the season.  Who knows when Wood is going to hit the wall.   Kershaw is on the DL already.  Ryu is an injury risk.   Hill and McCarthy are blister bros.  

3 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

If they swallow all his contract maybe not much. 

And I agree that he'd be a good fit.  

They need a starting pitcher that can withstand the marathon of the rest of the season.  Who knows when Wood is going to hit the wall.   Kershaw is on the DL already.  Ryu is an injury risk.   Hill and McCarthy are blister bros.  

Maeda can't get respect from anyone, let alone his manager, despite being pretty good for the better part of the season after a rough start. 

12 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

i fee like lynn would be a better fit than verlander.

A BIG part of my argument for acquiring Verlander is that he's a commodity that we know will physically hold up deep into October.  That can't be said for Lynn in his first year back from TJ.  

25 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

A BIG part of my argument for acquiring Verlander is that he's a commodity that we know will physically hold up deep into October.  That can't be said for Lynn in his first year back from TJ.  

has anyone mentioned sonny gray to dodgers?

14 hours ago, Dugout Legend said:

I like this for the Royals pen.  Cahill as 5th starter but adding Maurer to setup for Herrera is big.

Cahill is a pretty huge upgrade for their rotation, he comes onto the team with only Vargas having a better ERA. Gives them a semi-competent top 3 in Vargas, Duffy, and Cahill. 

Buchter is also somewhat overlooked in this trade but he also gives them a good LH setup man. 

I don't really get the deal from SD's viewpoint, but I guess they really think Strahm could be a good piece going into their window of contention. Unless the prospect is something special I don't see much other incentive for them. Cahill is only 29 and could have been useful for a few more seasons. 

20 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Cahill is a pretty huge upgrade for their rotation, he comes onto the team with only Vargas having a better ERA. Gives them a semi-competent top 3 in Vargas, Duffy, and Cahill. 

Looking at Cahill's numbers away from Petco would give me cause for concern, however...at least as a fantasy owner. 

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Looking at Cahill's numbers away from Petco would give me cause for concern, however...at least as a fantasy owner. 

Yeah but his FIP, xFIP, SIERA are all solid enough, and Petco isn't a pitcher's park anymore (well, sorta). I'd say he's moving to a better defensive team in a spacious park, so the potential for a good outing are there. But I agree with you... Might be worth streaming him at home as opposed to away until he "settles in"