NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

Cahill is a pretty huge upgrade for their rotation, he comes onto the team with only Vargas having a better ERA. Gives them a semi-competent top 3 in Vargas, Duffy, and Cahill. 

Buchter is also somewhat overlooked in this trade but he also gives them a good LH setup man. 

I don't really get the deal from SD's viewpoint, but I guess they really think Strahm could be a good piece going into their window of contention. Unless the prospect is something special I don't see much other incentive for them. Cahill is only 29 and could have been useful for a few more seasons. 

Strahm has high upside.  The 18 year old second baseman they got in the deal is very intriguing.

From SD's viewpoint they did exactly what they should have done - cashed out on a guy they got for free for high upside potential championship players (Pomeranz for Espinosa last year).

I'd love to see them move hand for Profar or somehow Baez.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Strahm has high upside.  The 18 year old second baseman they got in the deal is very intriguing.

From SD's viewpoint they did exactly what they should have done - cashed out on a guy they got for free for high upside potential championship players (Pomeranz for Espinosa last year).

I'd love to see them move hand for Profar or somehow Baez.

I'm still a Profar guy myself. If they could grab him it would likely cost very little. Would love to see him get out of Texas and get a season of regular MLB at bats, even if he struggles. I think the kid oozes with real life baseball talent. 

Baez would also be interesting. Wonder if they could package two pitchers for him? Seems like the Cubs are never going to give him a chance. 

21 hours ago, 96mnc said:

If they swallow all his contract maybe not much. 

And I agree that he'd be a good fit.  

They need a starting pitcher that can withstand the marathon of the rest of the season.  Who knows when Wood is going to hit the wall.   Kershaw is on the DL already.  Ryu is an injury risk.   Hill and McCarthy are blister bros.  

The Dodgers should give Walker Buehler a try.  Yes I know, innings limit.  And prejudice against an excellent prospect as opposed to a has been arm having a terrible season.  Better the bad vet over the good prospect bullcrap.  But he could give them a stop gap until Kershaw and/or McCarthy returns and probably pitch way better than Verlander who has been miserable this year. 

LA said they would probably bring Buelher up to the bullpen this season so why not let him have a some starts instead since he is a starter and will be for the Dodgers for years to coming barring him moving to Detroit for a has been.

(Yes I own crappy Verlander in one league where I'm pretty much stuck with him -- 20 teamer with no pitching available -- so I speak as a disgruntled owner).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The Dodgers should give Walker Buehler a try.  Yes I know, innings limit.  And prejudice against an excellent prospect as opposed to a has been arm having a terrible season.  Better the bad vet over the good prospect bullcrap.  But he could give them a stop gap until Kershaw and/or McCarthy returns and probably pitch way better than Verlander who has been miserable this year. 

LA said they would probably bring Buelher up to the bullpen this season so why not let him have a some starts instead since he is a starter and will be for the Dodgers for years to coming barring him moving to Detroit for a has been.

(Yes I own crappy Verlander in one league where I'm pretty much stuck with him -- 20 teamer with no pitching available -- so I speak as a disgruntled owner).

Could be something that could work BUT the thinking could be, why put that much pressure on him so early? Come up, make big league debut basically REPLACING the best pitcher in baseball and FEEL like he has to try and carry the load in a pennant race ( sure they'll likely win the division as is ) as a savior of sorts. I would worry about going 0 to 60 to fast before going 0-20-40 then to 60 slowly with less pressure.

14 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Verlander is pitching better lately.

6 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Verlander is pitching better lately.

One game does not = the definition of the word lately in my book, heh.  Granted he is probably trying harder of late because he wants out of Detroit in the worse way no doubt.  But the Dodgers would be fools to take on his contract for how little he would give them when they have cheaper options in house or out in the trade market.  LA will make the playoffs.  They don't need the big name and his big contract.  They just need enough pitching to bridge back to Kershaw.

15 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

If moved, the pay will be steep similar to what the Cubs had to do last year to get Chapman. Not sure if teams will pay that cost. I personally think he does not get moved, just my hunch though.

Landing spots?

Cubs, dodgers?

22 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

Could be something that could work BUT the thinking could be, why put that much pressure on him so early? Come up, make big league debut basically REPLACING the best pitcher in baseball and FEEL like he has to try and carry the load in a pennant race ( sure they'll likely win the division as is ) as a savior of sorts. I would worry about going 0 to 60 to fast before going 0-20-40 then to 60 slowly with less pressure.

Those are good points but Alex Wood really is taking Kershaw's place.  Buehler would just be the temporary 5th starter.  But yeah I don't think the Dodgers would do it.  You need a Joe Maddon mentality to try something common sense but against baseball herd mentality.  Because maybe Buehler feels the pressure but a lot of younger guys in the past have said they didn't feel a contender's pressure because they didn't know then difference yet between that and just the pressure of a big leagues promotion.

I just think it is a better option then going after shaky old timers.  If you are going after shaky guys at least go after a younger Sonny Gray over a big contract, little return Verlander.  And add in Darvish who has not been himself at all this season but is another "name" with a big contract.

Regarding the Dodgers...

They don't NEED Verlander. Agreed they don't need to take on that $$$ for what he's producing at this CURRENT time. BUT it might make more sense to take on the contract since they would not lose a high caliber prospect ( since they'd take on the contract ) and give back lower level prospects.

If they trade for Gray or Lynn, et al. Then most likely they lose one of Verdugo, Alvarez, Buehler.

SO it comes down to do you want to pay MORE now in terms of money or pay more in the way of losing a top prospect or two.

That's my take.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Those are good points but Alex Wood really is taking Kershaw's place.  Buehler would just be the temporary 5th starter.  But yeah I don't think the Dodgers would do it.  You need a Joe Maddon mentality to try something common sense but against baseball herd mentality.  Because maybe Buehler feels the pressure but a lot of younger guys in the past have said they didn't feel a contender's pressure because they didn't know then difference yet between that and just the pressure of a big leagues promotion.

I just think it is a better option then going after shaky old timers.  If you are going after shaky guys at least go after a younger Sonny Gray over a big contract, little return Verlander.

Say Kershaw is not ready in 4-6 weeks or suffers a setback? Gotta be prepared to go into playoff war with a proven playoff commodity ( Verlander and Lynn). I'd be trading " as if" I'm trading for a playoff type proven SP.

I'm in agreement with you, I don't think they need Verlander, I'm just giving thoughts to both sides of the spectrum.

4 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

Regarding the Dodgers...

They don't NEED Verlander. Agreed they don't need to take on that $$$ for what he's producing at this CURRENT time. BUT it might make more sense to take on the contract since they would not lose a high caliber prospect ( since they'd take on the contract ) and give back lower level prospects.

If they trade for Gray or Lynn, et al. Then most likely they lose one of Verdugo, Alvarez, Buehler.

SO it comes down to do you want to pay MORE now in terms of money or pay more in the way of losing a top prospect or two.

That's my take.

Or they could take on Buehler and not lose any prospects or money, heh.  Again there is risk given how baseball traditionally sees this stuff.  I just don't believe in baseball-think half the time.  So we will agree to disagree. 

Except that it would be stupid for the Dodgers to lose Buehler for a rental of course.  They yeah shouldn't get a Sonny Gray unless there is an extension of his contract as part of the deal.  (Also isn't Alverez is viewed more as a future bullpen arm?).

12 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

I agree with this, especially in light of the fact that Buehler has melted down and lost the ability to throw strikes in each of his last two starts. It's possible he's already feeling some pressure given all the hype he's getting this year. This isn't the time to rush him up to the bigs.

Also, I'm not sure on Buehler's exact pitch limit, but he hasn't gone more than 5 1/3 IP in a game this year. I think the Dodgers have been capping him around 75-80 pitches. They haven't been preparing him for an MLB starter's workload.

5 minutes ago, cornerback said:

Landing spots?

Cubs, dodgers?

I'm kind of thinking the ole " mystery team" thing here ( not that the Astros are a mystery team, but don't think they are all that much linked to Darvish talks yet )and the Astros make a play. Darvish is already in Texas, probably has a home there,  could also be easier to sign him in off season. Makes sense and Astros have some prospects they can part with.

I think the Dodgers have to go for it this year, they have a really good offence but their pitching could be a weak spot due to injury, go for it now, you don't know how long Kershaw will be around, this is the 2nd year in a row he will miss significant time due to a bad back, i hope its not a trend but how knows, back injuries can linger and/or never go away, they have a lot of prospects they can trade and a Kershaw comes along once every 10 years

If he gets scratched just before the game or makes the start, most likely it's his last start in an A's jersey.

Jon MorosiVerified account @jonmorosi 20s21 seconds ago

Sonny Gray has begun his warmups at Rogers Centre; all signs point toward him starting for the #Athletics tonight. @MLB @MLBNetwork

Edited by Dugout Legend

25 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

Regarding the Dodgers...

SO it comes down to do you want to pay MORE now in terms of money or pay more in the way of losing a top prospect or two

That's my take.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if the Dodgers trade for Verlander next year the luxury tax will go from 50 million to 100 million 

i know they are loooooooded but damn that's a lot if freaking money 

36 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Or they could take on Buehler and not lose any prospects or money, heh.  Again there is risk given how baseball traditionally sees this stuff.  I just don't believe in baseball-think half the time.  So we will agree to disagree. 

Except that it would be stupid for the Dodgers to lose Buehler for a rental of course.  They yeah shouldn't get a Sonny Gray unless there is an extension of his contract as part of the deal.  (Also isn't Alverez is viewed more as a future bullpen arm?).

Wood, Buehler, actually every starter on the Dodgers right now,  none of them can be counted on to provide quality innings into October.  

Now if you want to argue that the innings Verlander would provide won't be quality then that's fine,  we'll just agree to disagree on that point.   But LAD needs a starting pitcher that is physically reliable for a deep run into October.

And money really doesn't matter for LAD.