NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2017 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Michael Bluth said:

It was Torres for half a year of chapman. Is a year and a half of gray worth the same?

NO.

Chapman is dominate. Arguably the best closer in the game.

Gray is more a " complimentary" piece. I'd say Mateo would have to be involved though going to A's.

3 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

NO.

Chapman is dominate. Arguably the best closer in the game.

Gray is more a " complimentary" piece. I'd say Mateo would have to be involved though going to A's.

I think Gray has re-established himself as a reliable #2 or #3 starter with his performance this season to date.

Just now, STLSU said:

If not the Yanks, then who?  It looks like WAS will sit this one out.  The Dodgers are a possibility although they seem focused on Yu D at the moment.  Seattle maybe a darkhorse?

Mariners farm system is pretty weak. Would be tough for them to put together a package if Beane is really demanding a player like Torres/Frazier in return. I guess it would start with Kyle Lewis and they'd figure it out from there. 

1 minute ago, absknicks said:

Mariners farm system is pretty weak. Would be tough for them to put together a package if Beane is really demanding a player like Torres/Frazier in return. I guess it would start with Kyle Lewis and they'd figure it out from there. 

IDK Rosenthal thinks DiPoto may find a way even if they have to take on more salary dumps

Edited by STLSU

1 hour ago, absknicks said:

The Cubs overpaid drastically for Chapman. Can't use that as a barometer. 

Yeah they did, but they got their World Series ring. Goal accomplished. I'd overpay as well if it meant getting that ring. He played such a huge role in the playoffs, without him who knows what happens. It's price they paid, the price they were comfortable paying and the end justified the means.

Clearly things do not always work out that way - but it did for the Cubs - so it happens.

Edited by Dugout Legend

1 minute ago, Dugout Legend said:

Yeah they did, but they got their World Series ring. Goal accomplished. I'd overpay as well if it meant getting that ring. He played such a huge role in the playoffs, without him who knows what happens. It's price they paid, the price they were comfortable paying and the end justified the means.

Clearly things do not always work out that way - but it did for the Cubs - so it happens.

It also shows that the FO is not doing their HW on market rates.  One of the CWS brass also stated CHC overpaid for Quintana based on other offers.

RE: Cubs overpaying for Chapman and Quintana. 

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/w/winnerscurse.asp

The winner's curse is a tendency for the winning bid in an auction to exceed the intrinsic value of the item purchased. Because of incomplete information, emotions or any other number of factors regarding the item being auctioned, bidders can have a difficult time determining the item's intrinsic value. As a result, the largest overestimation of an item's value ends up winning the auction.

This is definitely not unique to the Cubs' FO. And outside of the MLB, it is prevalent in fantasy auctions(and snake drafts, to a lesser extent).