NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Dugout Legend said:

wowww. Looks like Verlander rejected the deal. Apparently..

Chris McCosky @cmccosky

I have been told that Verlander deal is off. Apparently he didn't waive no trade clause. Again, Verlander deal has been nixed

his triple D's model girl is a Mich gal

he's going no where

1 minute ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

his triple D's model girl is a Mich gal

he's going no where

What I don't get is, he says he wants to pitch again in post season. Tigers had a deal in place Daz Cameron and others to go to Detroit, Verlander to Houston. Why wouldn't he just say, " Hey Al, stop trying to move me, I'm not gonna approve a deal"??

I don't get it. He knows / knew the Tigers are trying to move him, just come out and say STOP - don't move me. I'm not accepting a deal.

9 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

What I don't get is, he says he wants to pitch again in post season. Tigers had a deal in place Daz Cameron and others to go to Detroit, Verlander to Houston. Why wouldn't he just say, " Hey Al, stop trying to move me, I'm not gonna approve a deal"??

I don't get it. He knows / knew the Tigers are trying to move him, just come out and say STOP - don't move me. I'm not accepting a deal.

because never is a long time, and I'm sure the full court press came regardless, hoping for a change of heart.

3 minutes ago, STLSU said:

because never is a long time, and I'm sure the full court press came regardless, hoping for a change of heart.

Eh, I'm not buying that he won't accept a trade. I think he wanted ( based on seeing some tweets out there ) to play for Dodgers / Cubs. So he left the idea open of accepting a trade, just happens that Detroit worked a deal with Astros to their liking, but not Verlander's liking.

He'll be a Cub in November. :)

Verlander is a total idiot.  That is all.  Go Verlander, play for a rebuilding team without any meaningful games until you retire you scared little rabbit.  Because the only reason you would not accept a trade to such a loaded team and a chance for that ring is that you are scared of the spotlight that is playoff baseball.  You'd rather stay the big fish in the teeny tiny pond. 

And why would Theo go after this aging loser and his fat contract in the off season?  He started the overblown contracts in Boston (Carl Crawford, A-Gon) and regretted it afterwards saying he was "feeding the beast" and he had learned his lesson and went back to his original approach in Chicago.

39 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

Well this night gets more and more interesting. Sounds like the Astros pulled out of the deal and Verlander did not nix deal. Maybe we'll never know!!

6 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

What. A. Night. 

Better than the non-waiver trade deadline!! With the slew of trades from 11pm to midnight.

Tigers get a good haul for Verlander too. Nice job. I'm really shocked this really got done.

Verlander probably was devastated when he read that I called him a scaredy cat wimp in my post above.  Yes Houston you have me to thank for getting the deal done for you though in another year you will regret letting Franklin Perez go.  Detroit got a great haul.  Perez is the biggest prize but Daz Cameron is no slouch either and was blocked in Houston.

Tigers wake up tomorrow in a much better future situation. $170 million off the books + add Franklin Perez, Daz Cameron, Jake Rogers, Grayson Long.

Astros obviously now have a playoff-ready top 3.  Keuchel, Verlander & McCullers.

Miggy probably wants to delay his suspension to the last week of the season so he can start his vacation early.  And ,Miggy, you are stuck on a team that should totally suck next year.  2018 AL Central:  The Battle of the Rebuilders   (My vote goes to the White Sox who traded off players early enough to get mega-hauls for their guys).

I doubt the Tigers will have that much money off the books.  To get those prospects back they would have had to paid Houston a decent chunk of Verlander's salary I would think.

Who loses starts in Houston as a result of this trade?

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Verlander is a total idiot.  That is all.  Go Verlander, play for a rebuilding team without any meaningful games until you retire you scared little rabbit.  Because the only reason you would not accept a trade to such a loaded team and a chance for that ring is that you are scared of the spotlight that is playoff baseball.  You'd rather stay the big fish in the teeny tiny pond. 

And why would Theo go after this aging loser and his fat contract in the off season?  He started the overblown contracts in Boston (Carl Crawford, A-Gon) and regretted it afterwards saying he was "feeding the beast" and he had learned his lesson and went back to his original approach in Chicago.

Sorry BBT, I know deal is done, but I just feel compelled to point out what an awful take this is. Houston & Detoit are similar size markets, and JV has already pitched in multiple WS. Literally no  idea what you were thinking here, but dead wrong.