NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

I don't really think it helps the Nats all that much. I would not trust either Madson or Doolittle all that much. Upgrade maybe. Still think they go after a legit closer though.

I agree...

I really thought the Nats would go out and get a premium closer

i'm in the minority it seems, but doolittle and madson are both pretty damn good pitchers for next to nothing. doolittle's injury issues could be a bit questionable, but based on actual pitching and talent, this seems like a significant upgrade to me.

3 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

i'm in the minority it seems, but doolittle and madson are both pretty damn good pitchers for next to nothing. doolittle's injury issues could be a bit questionable, but based on actual pitching and talent, this seems like a significant upgrade to me.

23 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

This is correct. 

And they didn't have to give up Robles

1 hour ago, dod959 said:

I think Doolittle and Madson are both probably better than Robertson. 

95% of purported "closers" are as soft as tissue paper

Madson, Doolittle and Robertson are all really good at pumping out great strikeout rates, ERAs and WHIPs in meaningless games.

Let's see how they hold up getting six outs to close out a one-run lead in game 5 of the NLDS.

Heck as I'm typing this I'm looking at Madson and Doolittle's postseason numbers: Madson has 5 blown saves in the postseason and a 1.34 WHIP while Doolittle has 3 blown sales in only 8 appearances.

17 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

95% of purported "closers" are as soft as tissue paper

Madson, Doolittle and Robertson are all really good at pumping out great strikeout rates, ERAs and WHIPs in meaningless games.

Let's see how they hold up getting six outs to close out a one-run lead in game 5 of the NLDS.

Heck as I'm typing this I'm looking at Madson and Doolittle's postseason numbers: Madson has 5 blown saves in the postseason and a 1.34 WHIP while Doolittle has 3 blown sales in only 8 appearances.

Blown saves doesn't tell you much. You can come in with the bases juiced and a 1 run lead and give up a 2 run single and be credited with a blown save. 

Madson has 43.1 postseason innings with 58 K, a 2.91 ERA and (yes) a 1.33 WHIP. Neither guy has much postseason experience, especially in the last few years. They are what they are, and the small sample playoff numbers shouldn't change the value of this deal. They are great adds for what was given up for them, and how much WAS needed bullpen arms. As 8th and 9th inning options, they are (of course) a bit shaky. However, if they can add 1 real solid 9th inning option, and use these guys in matchups and the 7th/8th inning capacity, it's a great add. 

Also - It's not like Washington is probably going to play in a ton of really close games. Their top 3 arms (Max, Stras, Gio) have been extremely good this year, and that offense has been killing it. Even with a 5 ERA from the 4th and 5th starters, they are still second in the NL in run differential. In the playoffs, you won't use that 4th and 5th starters nearly as much. 

Point is, they probably don't have to protect as many real close games as some other playoff teams (Brewers, Cubs, Rockies, etc) would have to protect. So, while the RP's may be a bit more shaky, they probably have a little more wiggle room, usually. 

Even if their bullpen isn't a lock down one, the trade was still a huge improvement. Plus Washington getting a left handed K guy stops a team like LAD getting him and having him for late in the game to face Harper/Murphy. 

Can't imagine that Yonder Alonso would cost NYY that much. Seems like a no-brainer move now that Bird is down officially. 

Their best LHB is Gregorius, maybe Hicks if he comes back and produces. With Alonso they can take advantage of RF porch and fit him in between their big RHBs. 

Edited by dod959
9 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

Blown saves doesn't tell you much. You can come in with the bases juiced and a 1 run lead and give up a 2 run single and be credited with a blown save. 

I think it it was an error, you get the BS too. 

I thought Washington was adamant they weren't trading Robles... not sure what kind of package Detroit would have to give up to get a prospect like Robles but I'm guessing it would have to include JDM and Verlander.

Seems farfetched to me.