Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

2017 MLB Trade Rumors and Deadline Thread


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, smeeze said:

I thought Washington was adamant they weren't trading Robles... not sure what kind of package Detroit would have to give up to get a prospect like Robles but I'm guessing it would have to include JDM and Verlander.

 

Seems farfetched to me.

He's not going anywhere. Pulled from game due to base running error per Rosenthal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

No Britton in save situation tonight?

Yeah.... I just brought this up in the closer thread.  This is very interesting especially seeing if he didn't even warm up and a day after Buck said he is ready to thrust him back in the 9th.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I thought Washington was adamant they weren't trading Robles... not sure what kind of package Detroit would have to give up to get a prospect like Robles but I'm guessing it would have to include JDM and Verlander.

 

Seems farfetched to me.

 

Jd and Wilson  for Robles anyone???

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, smeeze said:

 

Washington says no.

 

no way, if Washington really wants to win a WS, adding the best bat on the market, and another top flight reliever, is easily worth Robles.

 

3 months of JD is worth Robles if it gets them to the series

 

Edited by Golden Spikes
Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would the Nats want Martinez? Eventually, Taylor and Werth come back and Goodwin hasn't been spectacular has been a good replacement in LF/CF and Raburn isn't losing games for them.

 

Robles just seems like a lot to give up for a month, best case, and then a PH. Also,  does he really fit the Nat team profile? At present they have no true base-stealing threat but most have good base running speed. Do they need a station to station type runner?

 

While for fantasy COL or ARI would be nice in reality he doesn't fit either team with the glut both teams already have. I doubt Cargo goes anywhere as I read somewhere that the man paying the bills likes Cargo on the team and stated that Cargo wouldn't be traded. That was a couple of years back but Cargo is still in RF. Times change but just doesn't feel like policy has changed.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2017 at 11:09 AM, Csiebert5 said:

Rockies interested in JD Martinez. Interesting as they have 5 guys for 3 outfield spots as it. Maybe they want a righty since all their outfielders are lefties. Maybe Tapia or Dahl involved in the trade?

Rockies manager basically just said they don't think Dahl will be back this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Why would the Nats want Martinez? Eventually, Taylor and Werth come back and Goodwin hasn't been spectacular has been a good replacement in LF/CF and Raburn isn't losing games for them.

 

Robles just seems like a lot to give up for a month, best case, and then a PH. Also,  does he really fit the Nat team profile? At present they have no true base-stealing threat but most have good base running speed. Do they need a station to station type runner?

 

While for fantasy COL or ARI would be nice in reality he doesn't fit either team with the glut both teams already have. I doubt Cargo goes anywhere as I read somewhere that the man paying the bills likes Cargo on the team and stated that Cargo wouldn't be traded. That was a couple of years back but Cargo is still in RF. Times change but just doesn't feel like policy has changed.

 

 

 

 

 

not sure what the bolded means, JD in no way would ever be a PH

 

Harper moves to CF or JD to LF when Taylor back.  You do it cause a staff with Max, Gio and Stras and a playoff lineup of

 

Turner

Murphy

Harper

JD Mart

Zimmerman

Rendon

Taylor/Werth

Weiters

 

is quite frankly the sickest lineup in baseball, and would make them the heavy favorites

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

 

not sure what the bolded means, JD in no way would ever be a PH

 

Harper moves to CF or JD to LF when Taylor back.  You do it cause a staff with Max, Gio and Stras and a playoff lineup of

 

Turner

Murphy

Harper

JD Mart

Zimmerman

Rendon

Taylor/Werth

Weiters

 

is quite frankly the sickest lineup in baseball, and would make them the heavy favorites

I think  the difference between Goodwin and JD isn't worth Robles for a months worth of playing time. After Taylor gets back moves JD to the bench and he becomes the 4th OF. If Taylor doesn't come back changes the whole equation.

 

But then I don't want Harper in CF as he is better defensively in RF.

Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^In what world is JD Martinez on the bench as a member of the Nationals? Even if you state Harper won't play CF, he can only play one corner OF position. JD Martinez plays the other. Werth, Taylor, Goodwin, etc. None of those guys would move JD to the bench, as you state.

 

Taylor's not really all that special. Goodwin's not a starting worthy OF for a playoff caliber team. Same goes for Werth at this point. I still feel WAS should be focused on SP or a closer, but Martinez would be a great addition and is a fit nonetheless.

Edited by maguirekm
grammer
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, maguirekm said:

^^^^In what world is JD Martinez on the bench as a member of the Nationals? Even if you state Harper won't play CF, he can only play one corner OF position. JD Martinez plays the other. Werth, Taylor, Goodwin, etc. None of those guys would move JD to the bench, as you state.

 

Taylor's not really all that special. Goodwin's not a starting worthy OF for a playoff caliber team. Same goes for Werth at this point. I still feel WAS should be focused on SP or a closer, but Martinez would be a great addition and is a fit nonetheless.

 

I have to agree . . . JDM might not be the smartest or best "bang for their buck" addition, but if people don't think JDM is a significant upgrade over Werth or Goodwin then I don't know what to say.

 

I also notice a lot of people seem to be arguing that JDM as a rental player won't be that impactful for the Nats, yet some of the same people think they need another bullpen piece or else they have no business as a playoff contender.  I'd think having JDM in the middle of your lineup every day will have more positive effect than adding another closer-type now that they have Doolittle and Madson.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, handyandy86 said:

 

I have to agree . . . JDM might not be the smartest or best "bang for their buck" addition, but if people don't think JDM is a significant upgrade over Werth or Goodwin then I don't know what to say.

 

I also notice a lot of people seem to be arguing that JDM as a rental player won't be that impactful for the Nats, yet some of the same people think they need another bullpen piece or else they have no business as a playoff contender.  I'd think having JDM in the middle of your lineup every day will have more positive effect than adding another closer-type now that they have Doolittle and Madson.

Now that Ross is done for the year, and Roark has turned into a pumpkin - and Gio is kinda propped up by numbers that may or may not fall off a cliff, I'd almost argue SP might be the way to go. But the Nats have such a comfortable lead that if I was Rizzo I'd let the market decide where I upgraded at this point. They could use another SP, another OF and another RP. Explore all avenues and make the deal that makes the most sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

I think  the difference between Goodwin and JD isn't worth Robles for a months worth of playing time. After Taylor gets back moves JD to the bench and he becomes the 4th OF. If Taylor doesn't come back changes the whole equation.

 

But then I don't want Harper in CF as he is better defensively in RF.

2

 

DEAR GOD

any credibility you may have ever had on this site was just lost with this statement....lolol

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

 

no way, if Washington really wants to win a WS, adding the best bat on the market, and another top flight reliever, is easily worth Robles.

 

3 months of JD is worth Robles if it gets them to the series

 

 

Trading Robles for a few months of JDM would be such a ridiculously short-sighted trade, I have no idea what you're basing your opinion on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, smeeze said:

 

Trading Robles for a few months of JDM would be such a ridiculously short-sighted trade, I have no idea what you're basing your opinion on.

Well a Chapman rental brought back Torres last season, so there's that..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, osb_tensor said:

Well a Chapman rental brought back Torres last season, so there's that..

 

A trade which was widely regarded as a massive overpay, but they won the WS so the point is moot.  Chapman filled a very specific need and was the best closer in the game at the time.  Robles is arguably a higher rated prospect than Torres, and the Cubs' system was loaded.  Do the Nats really need another power bat?  They would be better served moving Robles for an elite closer if that's what the market is going to dictate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^Agreed that the Nats would need more than just Martinez for Robles. But Wilson and Martinez for Robles (plus a low level guy) might make sense. Like I've said earlier, if I'm Rizzo I wait to see what the market dictates knowing my team would benefit from upgrades at #3-4 SP, CL and LF

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, smeeze said:

 

A trade which was widely regarded as a massive overpay, but they won the WS so the point is moot.  Chapman filled a very specific need and was the best closer in the game at the time.  Robles is arguably a higher rated prospect than Torres, and the Cubs' system was loaded.  Do the Nats really need another power bat?  They would be better served moving Robles for an elite closer if that's what the market is going to dictate.

 

I don't know what prospect list you are looking at, but Gleyber Torres is a top 5 overall prospect according to MLB and way more regarded than Robles.  I think most baseball fanatics would agree with that testament. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, panthers528 said:

 

I don't know what prospect list you are looking at, but Gleyber Torres is a top 5 overall prospect according to MLB and way more regarded than Robles.  I think most baseball fanatics would agree with that testament. 

 

Robles is arguably a higher rated prospect than Torres

 

It's definitely up for debate (note the word arguably) as to which player you would consider more valuable but both are usually top 5 on prospect lists... you're missing the point of my argument that the Nats aren't going to trade an elite prospect for a 3 month rental in JDM.  The Chapman trade was derided at the time and will ultimately end up being an outlier in my opinion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Low and Away said:

I think  the difference between Goodwin and JD isn't worth Robles for a months worth of playing time. After Taylor gets back moves JD to the bench and he becomes the 4th OF. If Taylor doesn't come back changes the whole equation.

 

But then I don't want Harper in CF as he is better defensively in RF.

I always thought JDM was pretty good player with an ADP just around 80. You honestly think he would be on the bench and the Nationals would start Michael Taylor & Jayson Werth over JD Martinez?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember an article a while ago that pointed out that good offenses benefit MORE in run production when adding an elite bat than weaker lineup. Basically the positive impact kinda snowballs.

 

So this JDM idea isn't that far fetched in terms helping the Nats win curve by a lot. In-fact it might be the smart move. Though unconventional to established wisdom..

 

But when you want to stop this Robles pipe dream. Let me know. 

Edited by Slatykamora
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smeeze said:

 

A trade which was widely regarded as a massive overpay, but they won the WS so the point is moot.  Chapman filled a very specific need and was the best closer in the game at the time.  Robles is arguably a higher rated prospect than Torres, and the Cubs' system was loaded.  Do the Nats really need another power bat?  They would be better served moving Robles for an elite closer if that's what the market is going to dictate.

well i agree it's not an ideal fit for the nats, but my point was that it's been done (successfully) in the very recent past so it's not unheard of.

Edited by osb_tensor
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...