NBC Sports Edge Forums

Theo Riddick 2017 Season Outlook

Has anyone else noticed how Riddick and Golden Tate seem to directly affect each other.

Last year Tate started out really really slow until about week 6 when Riddick got hurt.  I have always kept in mind that these two players seem to run the same routes.  I'm not sure if it is true but at the beginning of last year it looked that way.  Maybe it won't show up again this year with Boldin gone, but it was also when a healthy Marvin Jones was putting up incredible games.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, boltup15 said:

It's a dumb bet because you realize he will get more than 45 carries. 

It's a dumb bet because a Week 1 or 2 game with 5 carries due to a brief absence or injury automatically puts him on pace for > 45.

15 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

It's a dumb bet because a Week 1 or 2 game with 5 carries due to a brief absence or injury automatically puts him on pace for > 45.

If he plays less than 3 games the bet is nullified. 

Will you take that bet? We can put a provision in as well if he gets hurt in a game and is forced to leave we will nullify that game. 

Edited by boltup15

I am not taking any bet. I have posted my projection, and will stand behind it whether it is right or wrong.

In any case I will still be around after the season to either A - be mocked because of how wrong it was, or B - silently know I was right without drawing any other attention to myself and letting it go anyway.

5 hours ago, ponza88 said:

Jesus... I didn't realize this backfield was such a mess. 

Getting less hopeful of the idea of pairing Abdullah and Riddick to hedge bets.

I don't think it's really a mess. I think the plan is for Abdullah to be the lead dog and Riddick his usual workload focused on recieving. I like them both for the right price. But I'm not a huge proponent of rostering two rbs from the same team in season long. I will own some of both where possible. 

17 minutes ago, Ravensdan said:

I don't think it's really a mess. I think the plan is for Abdullah to be the lead dog and Riddick his usual workload focused on recieving. I like them both for the right price. But I'm not a huge proponent of rostering two rbs from the same team in season long. I will own some of both where possible. 

I agree. Except rostering a bunch of backs from NE sounds like a good idea this year. Gillislee is not priced as the lead back. Burkhead could be a leadback and James White could be more involved than we realize. 

1 minute ago, boltup15 said:

I agree. Except rostering a bunch of backs from NE sounds like a good idea this year. Gillislee is not priced as the lead back. Burkhead could be a leadback and James White could be more involved than we realize. 

Not to mention where does Dion slot in?   He's as talented as they come when healthy. 

Detroit is much more a two headed monster which is pretty standard.  

23 minutes ago, Impreza178 said:

Not to mention where does Dion slot in?   He's as talented as they come when healthy. 

I don't see Dion in their plans. The re-signed James White to a lucrative contract while also signing Burkhead and Gillislee to a good amount of money. I see Dion getting phased out. 

Edited by boltup15

I just feel like if you're going to roster a DET RB, you'd want to hedge your bets because both Abdullah and Theo are injury prone? (I could be wrong). If one goes down, the other gets a HUGE workload... if they both are healthy, both will be RB2's on any given week. (PPR)

Edited by ponza88

Thoughts on Riddick for PPR? He finished as a top 10 RB per game but seems like the numbers were inflated by both his TDs and Abdullah being gone. Do we think he'll end up having the same value as Chris Thompson/Darren Sproles?

1 hour ago, ponza88 said:

I just feel like if you're going to roster a DET RB, you'd want to hedge your bets because both Abdullah and Theo are injury prone? (I could be wrong). If one goes down, the other gets a HUGE workload... if they both are healthy, both will be RB2's on any given week. (PPR)

That would be optimal but too expensive imo.   Maybe if riddicks adp goes down,  but as of now they are both going in the seventh- which is ridiculous.   Too high for Riddick and too low for AA.   In standard I'm just grabbing Abdullah.  That's not too painful if he busts/injures.

Edited by Impreza178
  • 1 month later...
On 6/29/2017 at 8:02 PM, Chwf3rd said:

Thoughts on Riddick for PPR? He finished as a top 10 RB per game but seems like the numbers were inflated by both his TDs and Abdullah being gone. Do we think he'll end up having the same value as Chris Thompson/Darren Sproles?

I like him a bit more than both of those guys. I think he's a decent bet to return RB2 value in PPR; I do own him, however, so I may be biased.

On 6/29/2017 at 8:02 PM, Chwf3rd said:

Like him as a possible flex play and bench RB for PPR. He's a virtual lock for 10 PPR points per game 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, izzyf89 said:

Am i wasting my time here in a 12-team standard? Got him in the 11th.

If he's fully healthy Stafford has shown he loves this guy. I would say no you aren't wasting your time, especially in ppr  

Abdullah is likely to underwhelm as is Washington   This is a high passing volume team. 

2 hours ago, aadam said:

If he's fully healthy Stafford has shown he loves this guy. I would say no you aren't wasting your time, especially in ppr  

Abdullah is likely to underwhelm as is Washington   This is a high passing volume team. 

PPR love him...especially now that Bolden's gone and coach stated more TD targets coming his way.

I'm really not sure what to think about Theo this year.  I'm staying away in season long drafts but he could end up being a solid weekly league guy.  Deeper PPR leagues he's worth a spot.  Abdullah is no slouch catching the ball.  If he comes out on fire, he could end up dominating this backfield and really reducing Theo's value.  On the other hand, Abdullah could underwhelm or even get hurt again and Theo would be pretty valuable, especially in PPR. 

I would NOT say that Abdullah is likely to underwhelm as was stated above.  He looked great last year before getting hurt and is going to get every chance to be the lead back.  The o-line is improved and will only get better when Decker is back later in the season.  It's also not going to be the same high volume passing team of year's past.  They are making an effort to dedicate to the run.  It started last year but obviously got derailed when Ameer got hurt.

14 minutes ago, Wardawg said:

This is a high volume passing team because they haven't had a legitimate NFL quality RB for years (and I mean one that can run the ball, not just catch passes).

THIS.  

Riddick's skill-set is a perfect match to the scheme they operate.  Short passes substitute for running like the Pats O.  He's an integral part of the system.  

The chronicles will continue this year.

image.php?encI=X55g%3ADDiii.%2FWBs.JvVDJN%3FKOP--AtIZphbZzeE-hTpFp-GhtEtEpEGbT_%26eKIPGtHItGzhFeFeZAFhG_bztA--FIFpZtAe%26N4Pz%26XP3nAOkyBi%3D0EmQvW33jwzk%2F8Sn_t6Jrsqo7BUNoo%3DOzw%26mPz%26NPX55g%25F1%25GQ%25GQWV1sf9H.Q1Bgvg.JvV%25GQWV1sf%25GQgXv5v9%25GQGHEbbbbb%25GQeXNvBWJaf9cnQc7W44WJUcmW4fvcs1Vf9cGHEZZbTAczGAbczbGE.%3Dgs%26gPIfm-Y%2CHbGT.z

Riddick listed as co-starter

I'm so tired of this "co-starter" BS.  Unless the coach intends to start the game with two RBs in the backfield, there is no such thing as a co-starter.  If the game starts with 1 RB in the backfield, that guy is the starter.

We all know what Riddick is.  He's the pass catching back who is a terrible inside runner.  Yet he gets lauded in PPR circles as if he is the second coming and walks on water.  What I don't get is that James White had the third most receptions in the league for RBs, yet he doesn't get nearly the attention that this guy does.  Sure, the Pats backfield is a mess.  But White got 80 targets last year.  I think they're both about the same value.

30 minutes ago, CooL said:

Riddick listed as co-starter

I'm so tired of this "co-starter" BS.  Unless the coach intends to start the game with two RBs in the backfield, there is no such thing as a co-starter.  If the game starts with 1 RB in the backfield, that guy is the starter.

We all know what Riddick is.  He's the pass catching back who is a terrible inside runner.  Yet he gets lauded in PPR circles as if he is the second coming and walks on water.  What I don't get is that James White had the third most receptions in the league for RBs, yet he doesn't get nearly the attention that this guy does.  Sure, the Pats backfield is a mess.  But White got 80 targets last year.  I think they're both about the same value.

That says it all.  

2 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

That says it all.  

Duke Johnson, Sproles, even TJ Yeldon all had essentially the same receptions as Riddick, with Duke averaging an outstanding 9.7 yard a catch.  And his backfield situation is pretty clear.  Yet he doesn't get near the amount of hype as Riddick.  Riddick scored 5 TDs through the air, more than any of the other RBs.  But TDs can be random.

2 minutes ago, CooL said:

Duke Johnson, Sproles, even TJ Yeldon all had essentially the same receptions as Riddick, with Duke averaging an outstanding 9.7 yard a catch.  And his backfield situation is pretty clear.  Yet he doesn't get near the amount of hype as Riddick.  Riddick scored 5 TDs through the air, more than any of the other RBs.  But TDs can be random.

Huge Lions fan, love Theo as a player, but I'd take Duke over him 10 times out of 10 in PPR.