NBC Sports Edge Forums

Theo Riddick 2017 Season Outlook

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

Duke Johnson, Sproles, even TJ Yeldon all had essentially the same receptions as Riddick, with Duke averaging an outstanding 9.7 yard a catch.  And his backfield situation is pretty clear.  Yet he doesn't get near the amount of hype as Riddick.  Riddick scored 5 TDs through the air, more than any of the other RBs.  But TDs can be random.

Come on please....Yeldon?  Yeldon?  Who's drafting him NOW?

Duke doesn't play in a passing oriented O.  His team wants to run the rock between the tackles more this season and doesn't project to put up the TDs Lions bring to the table.  And I don't see any value with Duke.  In my draft they went back to back picks in the 9th round.

Sproles is handicapped in a quagmire of new talent on the team and is about on his last legs.  

Okay you want to say TDs are random?  I'll bet on Chronicles Man outdoing all of them this year.  Especially with Bolden gone, Ebron made of glass, and coach saying more TD targets going to Riddick this year.     

Edited by theSPANKER
  • Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Come on please....Yeldon?  Yeldon?  Who's drafting him NOW?

Duke doesn't play in a passing oriented O.  His team wants to run the rock between the tackles more this season and doesn't project to put up the TDs Lions bring to the table.  And I don't see any value with Duke.  In my draft they went back to back picks in the 9th round.

Sproles is handicapped in a quagmire of new talent on the team and is about on his last legs.  

Okay you want to say TDs are random?  I'll bet on Chronicles Man outdoing all of them this year.  Especially with Bolden gone, Ebron made of glass, and coach saying more TD targets going to Riddick this year.     

Slow your roll, buddy.  Merely pointing out that many pass catching backs have caught the same number of balls as Riddick.  Add Chris Thompson to that list.  Just saying that as in many drafts, I'm sure when Riddick's name gets called, there will be some comments from the room such as "GREAT pass catching back".  I think he's overrated and not the most sturdy of guys either.  

Preseason reports say Duke will be playing all over the place and split out wide.  I'd take Duke every single time over Riddick.

Just now, CooL said:

Slow your roll, buddy.  Merely pointing out that many pass catching backs have caught the same number of balls as Riddick.  Add Chris Thompson to that list.  Just saying that as in many drafts, I'm sure when Riddick's name gets called, there will be some comments from the room such as "GREAT pass catching back".  I think he's overrated and not the most sturdy of guys either.  

Preseason reports say Duke will be playing all over the place and split out wide.  I'd take Duke every single time over Riddick.

original_zps3njhwyyq.gif

11 minutes ago, CooL said:

All of those stats you are referencing...and you are ignoring one huge factor..

Those guys all had the same number of receptions in 16 games as Riddick did (53 recs)  in 10 games...extrapolate those stats into a full healthy season, and Riddick laps the field. 

You can't just compare two completely dissimilar statistical groups and then declare a truth just because you feel like being bold and making a statement. 

True, Riddick has an injury history, but we all know you can't predict or count on injuries in fantasy. 

All things equal (including number of games played)...Riddick is head and shoulders above those other backs. And the stats back that up 100%.  

Edited by UVA_Drew

You guys worried about Tate moving to the slot in 3 wide sets?  I read somewhere that he'll have more of an impact on Riddicks production over the middle this year compared to when Boldin was manning the slot last year.   Can't seem to find where I read this but I'll keep looking. All I know is the article suggested his production could take a small hit this year.

Riddick always seems to have middle of the road games that eventually add up to value at the end of the season, but you would never have guessed along the ride. So if you like consistent middle ground, Riddick is your guy. I'd personally rather have Hogan.

46 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

I'd prefer a RB2. He just doesn't seem startable if you only start two RBs and have one to two WR2s to FLEX.

Superb bench player to plug in for bye weeks and those inevitable injuries when your RBs start dropping like flies later in the season.  

Think ahead not now. 

1 hour ago, BananaJoeMontana said:

Anyone think hes going to have a good week? No giants LB can cover him.

The Giants have a good defense.  I suspect that when Stafford isnt lying on his back that he will be connecting with Tate and Riddick.

hmm I'm a little nervous about this. everyone and their mothers say this is a great matchup for shootout but they seem to use ameer a ton more than they "should".. also people thought the giant game would be the same type of shootout.. hard for me to take a part time players over a guy like quizz or (enter medocre full time rb) even in a bad matchup but getting all the carries. can anyone sell me on this "great" maytchup?

1 minute ago, floppy said:

hmm I'm a little nervous about this. everyone and their mothers say this is a great matchup for shootout but they seem to use ameer a ton more than they "should".. also people thought the giant game would be the same type of shootout.. hard for me to take a part time players over a guy like quizz or (enter medocre full time rb) even in a bad matchup but getting all the carries. can anyone sell me on this "great" maytchup?

Keep an eye on Abdullah's practice reps this week. He tweaked his ankle late in the game last week, which could mean more Riddick this week.

i don't know how I feel myself about Riddick over the likes of Carson or even Mixon (Daniels and Perry out for the Packers), but I'd feel much better about him in Abdullah is iffy at all heading into the game.

18 minutes ago, Vendetta said:

Keep an eye on Abdullah's practice reps this week. He tweaked his ankle late in the game last week, which could mean more Riddick this week.

i don't know how I feel myself about Riddick over the likes of Carson or even Mixon (Daniels and Perry out for the Packers), but I'd feel much better about him in Abdullah is iffy at all heading into the game.

AA practiced this week already. not even a questionable tag that ive noticed

5 minutes ago, floppy said:

AA practiced this week already. not even a questionable tag that ive noticed

Good to know. One concern I have then is that the Lions could try to establish the run and lean on it to keep Atlanta's potent offense off of the field. I'm not entirely comfortable with the assumption that he'll get a ton of work in a likely shootout then, but I do think you could do worse than Riddick as a flex in a 0.5/1 ppr.

4 minutes ago, Mr2Saint said:

THIS.

Riddick is the premier PPR bye week fill in. Last weeks game script didn't favor Riddick.

hmmmmm.

Chris Thompson hung up pretty much the same 2016 numbers as Razor, on roughly 30 less touches ... and is ahead of him thus far in '17.  

Maybe I'm reading too much into this... but stay with me.  I think Theo's value this week balances on DET MLB Jarrad Davis.  If Davis is out, it's a huge blow to DET defense and ATL is going to roll and you'll see a lot of Theo with the Lions playing catchup.  If Davis plays this could be a lower scoring game than most expect, with both DET and ATL defenses looking better than anticipated and you'll see Ameer a lot, with DET trying to control the clock and keep ATL offense off the field

Edited by JJ1223

Jarrad Davis has looked very promising manning the middle of the defense, if he is out with the concussion, the Lions may find themselves throwing early and often to keep up with this offense. It would be a big loss to an already thin LB corps. This would result in less of a systematic grind it out mentality like last week- meaning less Abdullah early down carries and more Theo in those passing situations. Theo will be inconsistent this year due to game script as long as Ameer is healthy, but keep an eye on Davis. This could be a shootout with Stafford back to throwing 40 times, which bodes well for Theo this week. 

6 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this... but stay with me.  I think Theo's value this week balances on DET MLB Jarrad Davis.  If Davis is out, it's a huge blow to DET defense and ATL is going to roll and you'll see a lot of Theo with the Lions playing catchup.  If Davis plays this could be a lower scoring game than most expect, with both DET and ATL defenses looking better than anticipated and you'll see Ameer a lot, with DET trying to control the clock and keep ATL offense off the field

Haha I got distracted before hitting submit on my post and didn't read yours until after. Great minds think alike?