NBC Sports Edge Forums

Theo Riddick 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should expect more action.  I would be more concerned with how the coaching staff decided Washington should be in there before Riddick AND on 3rd and longs.  Washington got hurt, so that should take that option away from the staff. 

7 hours ago, floppy said:

hmm I'm a little nervous about this. everyone and their mothers say this is a great matchup for shootout but they seem to use ameer a ton more than they "should".. also people thought the giant game would be the same type of shootout.. hard for me to take a part time players over a guy like quizz or (enter medocre full time rb) even in a bad matchup but getting all the carries. can anyone sell me on this "great" maytchup?

This is the exact dilemma I'm in, average RB's like Lamar, not sure to go floor or for ceiling

8 hours ago, JJ1223 said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into this... but stay with me.  I think Theo's value this week balances on DET MLB Jarrad Davis.  If Davis is out, it's a huge blow to DET defense and ATL is going to roll and you'll see a lot of Theo with the Lions playing catchup.  If Davis plays this could be a lower scoring game than most expect, with both DET and ATL defenses looking better than anticipated and you'll see Ameer a lot, with DET trying to control the clock and keep ATL offense off the field

8 hours ago, Motown_Magic said:

Jarrad Davis has looked very promising manning the middle of the defense, if he is out with the concussion, the Lions may find themselves throwing early and often to keep up with this offense. It would be a big loss to an already thin LB corps. This would result in less of a systematic grind it out mentality like last week- meaning less Abdullah early down carries and more Theo in those passing situations. Theo will be inconsistent this year due to game script as long as Ameer is healthy, but keep an eye on Davis. This could be a shootout with Stafford back to throwing 40 times, which bodes well for Theo this week. 

I think it more likely depends on who is on your FF team. If you have some DET and ATL skill players it's going to be a defensive struggle. If you have either defense it will be very high scoring offensively.

15 hours ago, floppy said:

hmm I'm a little nervous about this. everyone and their mothers say this is a great matchup for shootout but they seem to use ameer a ton more than they "should".. also people thought the giant game would be the same type of shootout.. hard for me to take a part time players over a guy like quizz or (enter medocre full time rb) even in a bad matchup but getting all the carries. can anyone sell me on this "great" maytchup?

Couple things.

Firstly, anyone who said the Giants game would be a shootout has to be kidding themselves. The Giants haven't scored more than 20 points in a week since Week 12 of 2016 in Cleveland. And that includes the post season. 

Secondly, I don't know how they use Ameer "a ton more than they 'should.'" They use him on most running situations for sure, but for a teams lead back he doesn't see a very high portion of snaps. So far on the season Ameer is edging Theo 48% to 36%, but 36% is still a lot for a primarily receiving RB.

And Thirdly, it's about more than just "points." Specific to receiving RBs, Atlanta has not performed well over the past year. I've heard that a lot, went to find numbers personally:

2016 Receiving RB Stats v. ATL

1.) 8/68/1

2.) 10/88

3.) 10/62/1

4.) 10/84

5.) 7/57

6.) 7/66

7.) 6/53/1

8.) 3/3 (The pre-Monty Packers with Knile Davis and Aaron Ripkowski and Don Jackson) 

9.) 10/68

10.) 10/87

11.) 10/122/1 (Oh, David Johnson, how we miss thee)

12.) 3/23/1

13.) 3/22

14.) 1/6

15.) 2/16

16.) 9/47/1

So a few weeks there where nothing happened, but for the most part just INSANE production from RBs out of the backfield. Obviously most of those games it's multiple backs, but 109 RECEPTIONS?!?!?!?, 872 YARDS!?!?!?!?! and 6 TDs. That's just ridiculous production to backs.

So far this year it has continued. They've had tough sledding for competition in this category for sure going up against Cohen and Monty, but to date they've allowed 11/61/1 and 8/82/1 on the season. Which brings there total to 128 Receptions, 1015 Yards, and 8 TDs over the last 18 Games. 

I won't say that I'd start Riddick over Quizz cause I don't know if I would. But if there's a match made in heaven for Riddick, it's this one. 

Edited by taobball
55 minutes ago, taobball said:

Couple things.

Firstly, anyone who said the Giants game would be a shootout has to be kidding themselves. The Giants haven't scored more than 20 points in a week since Week 12 of 2016 in Cleveland. And that includes the post season. 

Secondly, I don't know how they use Ameer "a ton more than they 'should.'" They use him on most running situations for sure, but for a teams lead back he doesn't see a very high portion of snaps. So far on the season Ameer is edging Theo 48% to 36%, but 36% is still a lot for a primarily receiving RB.

And Thirdly, it's about more than just "points." Specific to receiving RBs, Atlanta has not performed well over the past year. I've heard that a lot, went to find numbers personally:

1.) 8/68/1

2.) 10/88

3.) 10/62/1

4.) 10/84

5.) 7/57

6.) 7/66

7.) 6/53/1

8.) 3/3 (The pre-Monty Packers with Knile Davis and Aaron Ripkowski and Don Jackson) 

9.) 10/68

10.) 10/87

12.) 3/23/1

13.) 3/22

14.) 1/6

15.) 2/16

16.) 9/47/1

So a few weeks there where nothing happened, but for the most part just INSANE production from RBs out of the backfield. Obviously most of those games it's multiple backs, but 109 RECEPTIONS?!?!?!?, 872 YARDS!?!?!?!?! and 6 TDs. That's just ridiculous production to backs.

So far this year it has continued. They've had tough sledding for competition in this category for sure going up against Cohen and Monty, but to date they've allowed 11/61/1 and 8/82/1 on the season. Which brings there total to 128 Receptions, 1015 Yards, and 8 TDs over the last 18 Games. 

I won't say that I'd start Riddick over Quizz cause I don't know if I would. But if there's a match made in heaven for Riddick, it's this one. 

Your projection?

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Couple things.

1.) 8/68/1

2.) 10/88

3.) 10/62/1

4.) 10/84

5.) 7/57

6.) 7/66

7.) 6/53/1

9.) 10/68

10.) 10/87

12.) 3/23/1

13.) 3/22

14.) 1/6

15.) 2/16

16.) 9/47/1

Hmmm.....thanks for this.  I've been looking at the numbers and you've made a very compelling case to start Riddick over Quizz if you're looking at match-up this week.

I didn't realize how susceptible Atlanta's D is to receiving backs AND Riddick is tied for second on the team in targets with 10.  

If Bradford doesn't start this week I'm debating to start Riddick over Cooks this week.

Don't know if I'll do it yet, but I agree, this appears to be one of the best match-ups of the season for Mr. Chronicles of Riddick.      

Edited by theSPANKER
5 hours ago, taobball said:

Couple things.

1.) 8/68/1

2.) 10/88

3.) 10/62/1

4.) 10/84

5.) 7/57

6.) 7/66

7.) 6/53/1

9.) 10/68

10.) 10/87

12.) 3/23/1

13.) 3/22

14.) 1/6

15.) 2/16

16.) 9/47/1

after all that and u say that u would probably start quiz over him? haha hes got a dreadful matchup against a run D that bottled up L.Bell. ill probably just end up starting amendola.. too much of a coin flip for me on a guy that needs flow to get his touches. got forbid its NOT a shootout

I think its a coin flip...Granted i have AA but im sure Lions will want to get the run game going and waste some clock so the high powered ATL offense isnt just throwing points on them....BUT if it is a shoot out, Riddick will be primed to catch some passes out of that back with an occasional handoff to try and keep the D somewhat honest. I have to start either AA or Higgins so i see this being a good spot for both backs. Your not gonna hold ATL down forever. May be kind of a first half AA second half riddick type deal.

2 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

Week 2 Snap Counts/Touches:

Abdullah - 28/17

Theo - 27/12

Thanks for sharing. I think it's skewed slightly because Riddick picked up a decent number of snaps at the end during clock-killing mode because AA hurt his ankle on that 34-yard scamper. Still, you'd expect Riddick's usage to increase against a team whose offense will show up.

6 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

Do we have that much faith Lions D can stall high powered Falcons O to not make this a shoot-out?

If AA runs the ball well and they burn some clock they can keep it close and he is the play. If they dont, then riddick benefits. I see it as easy as that.

4 hours ago, mrblonde1984 said:

Hoping for a James White-esque game from Riddick this week against the Falcons. 

The question is would you start Riddick over White this week. The answer will be very telling.

Edited by AroundTheHorn
3 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

If AA runs the ball well and they burn some clock they can keep it close and he is the play. If they dont, then riddick benefits. I see it as easy as that.

I don't see it being a factor at all. Every-time Atlanta's O takes the field I see them putting up points.  

IMHO They just have too many weapons to be held in check.  

2 minutes ago, theSPANKER said:

I don't see it being a factor at all. Every-time Atlanta's O takes the field I see them putting up points.  

IMHO They just have too many weapons to be held in check.  

Yea i can see that as well...But look at the last 2 games. Bears game was close, packers game they put up 34 cause aaron rodgers and the packers throw it 100 times a game and do not consume any clock. Bears try to run and consume clock and it was a 23-17 falcons win. Granted bears D is better, but its all about limiting possessions. 

Fwiw Matthew Berry ESPN loves Riddick this week for the same reasons astute sharks have posted:

Theo Riddick, Lions: Death, taxes and you start pass-catching running backs against Atlanta. Since the start of last season, the Falcons have allowed the most receptions, the second-most receiving yards and most receiving touchdowns to opposing running backs. With two high-powered offenses on the turf in what should be a high-scoring game, expect Riddick to be used enough to be worthy of a top-20 play in PPR leagues.

2 hours ago, theSPANKER said:

Fwiw Matthew Berry ESPN loves Riddick this week for the same reasons astute sharks have posted:

Theo Riddick, Lions: Death, taxes and you start pass-catching running backs against Atlanta. Since the start of last season, the Falcons have allowed the most receptions, the second-most receiving yards and most receiving touchdowns to opposing running backs. With two high-powered offenses on the turf in what should be a high-scoring game, expect Riddick to be used enough to be worthy of a top-20 play in PPR leagues.

It's berry so bench is the play.... guy is off his rocker. 

42 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

It's berry so bench is the play.... guy is off his rocker. 

So is Nick Mensio?

Theo Riddick vs. Falcons: Matthew Stafford threw the ball just 21 times last week, which obviously had a negative effect on Riddick’s stat line, as he relies almost solely on catching passes for his production. (He only saw nine carries in Week 2 because Ameer Adbullah hurt his ankle late in the fourth quarter, allowing Riddick to get the clock-killing work.) This one sets up really well for Riddick to have success. Since coach Dan Quinn took over in Atlanta, the Falcons were dead-last in receptions allowed to running backs in both 2015 and 2016. Through two weeks, the Falcons are tied with the Saints for the most catches allowed to running backs. They’ve also allowed two receiving touchdowns to the position. Riddick’s usage in the red zone makes him even more attractive. With a shootout likely on our hands in Detroit, Riddick should have a floor of five catches.