NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Soroka - ATL SP

22 hours ago, JenksDodger said:

Do you mean the flame-throwing guys? You're right he's not a velocity darling but a FB that is 93-94 with sink to it, is nasty. Sure it's doesn't look the same as a 100mph fastball on the radar gun. But I guarantee you I'd rather have a heavy FB sitting 93-94 with plus control over a 100mph FB with no idea where it's going. I'm taking Soroka over a ton of guys with a 70/80 grade FB with below average secondaries and lesser control.. even though they appear to have more "upside" because they look awesome on the radar gun. Soroka has #2 upside with an extremely high floor.. there's plenty of guys that are in the upper echelon of pitchers that don't have 80 grade FBs. Sadly, velocity is pushed so much and is more "sexy" than a guy that can control where his pitches go. 

No, I wasn't referencing only velocity with big Mike. I am simply a fan of the pitching art. I know velocity isn't everything, but in some cases it sure helps. I do like the guys who can control a lower velocity and get deeper into games.  When I have watched Soroka, I honestly haven't seen a ton that really impressed me. The numbers he has been posting are exciting, to me it just didn't pass the eyeball test. Whether it was the fastball or his secondary stuff, there wasn't a lot of moments where I thought he looked like a future #2. Not that I am saying he can't be. As I was attempting to explain, I do not have any real conviction on this guy either way right now. That is why I was more asking about others opinions (like yours @JenksDodger) then trying to give my own.

I have only been following minor league guys here closely for the past 5 years, so I am not claiming to be a pitching scout. However, I have watched some guys that I thought looked much better than there numbers, and I have also seen the opposite. The one I can think of off the top (in a good way) was Aaron Nola. A lot of the publications I looked at had him as a "low ceiling" but close to ready pro throughout his short time in the minors. When I watched his starts, I thought the movement of his pitches and the makeup on the mound made for a lot more than that. I think the book is obviously still getting written with him, but I would like to say he has already shown glimpses of a "higher ceiling" than that. 

I own Soroka in a couple different spots and obviously hope he is up soon and performs very well. All I was saying is what I have watched and what he has produced didn't match for me. I was curious if anyone saw the same, or was able explain why I am blind. I can tell you are more pushing the second part.. I appreciate the good insight as always Jenks. 

Edited by LarryDavid
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching it in person right now. My amateur scouting report of what I’ve seen so far: fastball is sitting 90-92. He can reach back for 93-94 at times. Works down in the zone with a lot of sink and gen

Showtime!    

I just went back and listened to this interview with the SiriusXM app ... that quote might have been taking a bit out of context.   My attempt at a transcript:   Mish: Alex, going

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, LarryDavid said:

No, I wasn't referencing only velocity with big Mike. I am simply a fan of the pitching art. I know velocity isn't everything, but in some cases it sure helps. I do like the guys who can control a lower velocity and get deeper into games.  When I have watched Soroka, I honestly haven't seen a ton that really impressed me. The numbers he has been posting are exciting, to me it just didn't pass the eyeball test. Whether it was the fastball or his secondary stuff, there wasn't a lot of moments where I thought he looked like a future #2. Not that I am saying he can't be. As I was attempting to explain, I do not have any real conviction on this guy either way right now. That is why I was more asking about others opinions (like yours @JenksDodger) then trying to give my own.

I have only been following minor league guys here closely for the past 5 years, so I am not claiming to be a pitching scout. However, I have watched some guys that I thought looked much better than there numbers, and I have also seen the opposite. The one I can think of off the top (in a good way) was Aaron Nola. A lot of the publications I looked at had him as a "low ceiling" but close to ready pro throughout his short time in the minors. When I watched his starts, I thought the movement of his pitches and the makeup on the mound made for a lot more than that. I think the book is obviously still getting written with him, but I would like to say he has already shown glimpses of a "higher ceiling" than that. 

I own Soroka in a couple different spots and obviously hope he is up soon and performs very well. All I was saying is what I have watched and what he has produced didn't match for me. I was curious if anyone saw the same, or was able explain why I am blind. I can tell you are more pushing the second part.. I appreciate the good insight as always Jenks. 

DbZtRX5VMAAZX2j.jpg

Is this a spot start?  One and done and back to AAA?

To me the best case is he is ready and has a solid spot in the rotation of course.   Middle case is one start and back to AAA to keep his starting pace on track. 

But the worst case is he remains in the majors but gets assigned to the bullpen after the one start and gets jerked around as the number six starter / long guy / who knows when he can get in any innings guy.   Also clogs up our active rosters with a guy who doesn't start or close or even hold games because it is all about our fantasy teams.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Is this a spot start?  One and done and back to AAA?

To me the best case is he is ready and has a solid spot in the rotation of course.   Middle case is one start and back to AAA to keep his starting pace on track. 

But the worst case is he remains in the majors but gets assigned to the bullpen after the one start and gets jerked around as the number six starter / long guy / who knows when he can get in any innings guy.   Also clogs up our active rosters with a guy who doesn't start or close or even hold games because it is all about our fantasy teams.

The answer to that question will probably depend on his performance a la Kingham