NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jacob Faria 2017 Outlook

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, sharpee said:

yup another solid outing here. what are our thoughts here? are y'all thinking sell high or is this for real?

What are you gonna get for him? Pitching is a wasteland this year, I'm glad to have him lol

That said, his peripherals look nice. Predicting a mid to low 3 era guy going forward.

I remember reading somewhere that he did a good job at suppressing home runs in the minors.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=c,7,13,8,4,5,-1,6,42,122,45,62,41,43,-1,36,37,38,40,-1,44,48,-1,112,113,209&season=2017&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=13699

11 minutes ago, street sharks said:

What are you gonna get for him? Pitching is a wasteland this year, I'm glad to have him lol

That said, his peripherals look nice. Predicting a mid to low 3 era guy going forward.

I remember reading somewhere that he did a good job at suppressing home runs in the minors.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=0&type=c,7,13,8,4,5,-1,6,42,122,45,62,41,43,-1,36,37,38,40,-1,44,48,-1,112,113,209&season=2017&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=13699

No way is he low-3's moving forward. A rookie in the AL East with the way baseball are flying out of the yard? His control has been incredibly impressive so far but let's not forget he didn't have a good walk rate in the minors. Only 23 pitchers who've pitched 60+ innings have a sub-3.40 era. If Faria gives me anything in the 3.40-3.75 ERA range with high-k's I'll be ecstatic. He DOES look good, I'm just saying let's keep expectations in check. 

The way he's pitched, I wouldn't sell high.  Obviously his ratios are going to go up somewhat at some point, but he's been pretty effective in all 5 of his starts so far.  If not already, he's pretty much out of the small sample size territory.

In regards to tonight's start, he was effectively wild.  He had a ton of full counts early on, but never walked anyone.  He has Baltimore's hitters to thank for that partially, but he never buckled.  He should have won and not given up any runs.  The first one was unearned, the second run he struck out Rickard but didn't get the call, and he did the same thing to Rickard the for the third run before he gave up the HR to him.  I'll give the umpire the last one since the third pitch was on the very edge of the strike zone, but the baseball was almost completely in the strike zone on the second.

17 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

He's facing Sale, so I wouldn't expect a win, but Faria's a set-and-forget guy until he proves otherwise.  He's handled some tough lineups already, but this will be a test.

Yeah luckily I am in a QS league, so if he can get me that while keeping his WHIP at a respectable level, I'll be happy.

4 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Will take this start any day of the week.  Would more Ks be nice and a lower WHIP?  Sure!  But QS against this offense is plenty good for me.

Wasn't expecting many k's since Boston doesn't strikeout a lot. Not actually sure why I threw him out there with Sale going, but glad I did

The strikeouts will definitely come against lesser opponents -- it's just a shame he can't face his own team, the Wizards of Whiff in the AL (neck-and-neck with the K's, I mean, the A's.)

But we've seen six starts from this kid already, and as much as I don't want to jump the gun, he's faced some potent offenses and come out looking stellar.  O's are having a down year, but the Sawx and Tigers can pile up the runs, and he's been up to the task.  I think his WHIP will go up 1.00 after today's start.

I see no reason he can't be a top 30 starter rest of season, even playing in a tough division.  Would be nice to see him going deeper into games, but it's not surprising they're taking it easy with the 23 year-old.

On 7/6/2017 at 11:32 PM, tonycpsu said:

I see no reason he can't be a top 30 starter rest of season, even playing in a tough division.  Would be nice to see him going deeper into games, but it's not surprising they're taking it easy with the 23 year-old.

He's ranked 12th SP on ESPN Player Rate since he's been called up....

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:56 PM, Red Sox Nation said:

No way is he low-3's moving forward. A rookie in the AL East with the way baseball are flying out of the yard? His control has been incredibly impressive so far but let's not forget he didn't have a good walk rate in the minors. Only 23 pitchers who've pitched 60+ innings have a sub-3.40 era. If Faria gives me anything in the 3.40-3.75 ERA range with high-k's I'll be ecstatic. He DOES look good, I'm just saying let's keep expectations in check. 

AL East is not exactly a powerhouse anymore.

2 hours ago, t2green2 said:

Traded him for Arrieta and may have gotten the worse end of it...

Lets see how their final lines are at the end of the season... but So far Faria has outperformed Arrieta. Faria is not a scrub pitcher.

On 7/13/2017 at 0:24 PM, t2green2 said:

Traded him for Arrieta and may have gotten the worse end of it...

Idk man. Arrieta probably won't live up to his draft spot but that doesn't matter for you in the trade. That's a trade I'd prob make (to receive Arrieta) so I think it's a good trade. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't, but it's a good gamble imo. 

29 minutes ago, Rammer28 said:

Idk man. Arrieta probably won't live up to his draft spot but that doesn't matter for you in the trade. That's a trade I'd prob make (to receive Arrieta) so I think it's a good trade. If it doesn't work out, then it doesn't, but it's a good gamble imo. 

I know this isn't the Arrieta thread but he hasn't been right going back to the second half of last season...