NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sean Newcomb 2017 Outlook

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Didgital said:

Up Saturday - either game one or two of doubleheader. Lots of K's, lots of BB's. Anyone buying?

Not with the control problems.  Hes going to destroyed by MLB hitters. 

On 6/7/2017 at 10:19 AM, Didgital said:

He is rated way higher though Faria is getting some love recently.  But he is like Glasnow.  Highly touted but a big risk, big reward guy.  After seeing Glasnow struggle so far this year I think I'd pass despite his "stuff" being great.  Control the stuff first then talk about the stuff.  Otherwise you will be KO'ing the team mascot like the other (fictional) Newcomb.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He is rated way higher though Faria is getting some love recently.  But he is like Glasnow.  Highly touted but a big risk, big reward guy.  After seeing Glasnow struggle so far this year I think I'd pass despite his "stuff" being great.  Control the stuff first then talk about the stuff.  Otherwise you will be KO'ing the team mascot like the other (fictional) Newcomb.

Fair assessment. Completely agree with everything but the end stance. Philosophically, if I needed pitching and had flexible bench spots, I would add Newcomb and just watch his start this weekend before making any sort of assessment about value longer term. That is, if he gets blown up, you drop him and move on. If he pitches great, it gives you something to evaluate. I've seen this goes both ways.... guy gets called up and outperforms his AAA walk rate... guy gets called up and gets "Glasnowed".

This assumes 0 or near 0 cost. This isn't a guy I'd blow a lot of FAAB on or a premiere waiver wire position,

4 hours ago, oswald737 said:

Fair assessment. Completely agree with everything but the end stance. Philosophically, if I needed pitching and had flexible bench spots, I would add Newcomb and just watch his start this weekend before making any sort of assessment about value longer term. That is, if he gets blown up, you drop him and move on. If he pitches great, it gives you something to evaluate. I've seen this goes both ways.... guy gets called up and outperforms his AAA walk rate... guy gets called up and gets "Glasnowed".

This assumes 0 or near 0 cost. This isn't a guy I'd blow a lot of FAAB on or a premiere waiver wire position,

Grabbed Faria, if he gets shelled I'll drop and pick up Newcomb.  Zero sum game.

If Faria goes 5IP 3ER 2BB 6Ks and gets the W... Well... idk what I'm going to do...

Really nice start today. 6.1 with 1 unearned run(on his throwing error), 4 H, 2 BB, 7Ks. I know he has a walk issue and this was probably just fueled by adrenaline, but is there something here in deeper leagues?

Nuke our ratios? More like nuke our opponents ratios since he lowered our era and whip. Looked like Jon Lester out there. Sad to see he didn't do it for the Angels, but he helped my team.

Edited by mrfrood
3 hours ago, TheWrightStuff said:

is he staying in the rotation? 

Signs say yes. Snitker playing coy, protecting veteran Bartolo.

Mark Bowman @mlbbowman  9h9 hours ago
More
 Snit wasn't ready to commit to Newcomb making another start, but it seems safe to assume the kid will start Friday against the Marlins

Mark Bowman‏@mlbbowman  9h9 hours ago
More
 Snit himself said of today's performance, "(Newcomb) might have been pitching in the wrong league."

I only watched the highlights, but his upsize looks tantalizing. don't think I can resist an add. 

The frame (6'5), the eaaaasy 94mph, the devastating hook. bit of a Lester vibe for sure. 

Seems like control is the only thing that can hold him back.

looking over his 10 most recent minor league starts, he is not giving up many hits or earned runs, and striking a lot of guys out, but the walks are glaring: at least 2+ walks in 9 of the 10, and a total of 31 in around 53 innings. 

are there any examples where a talented prospect with major BB issues suddenly stopped walking guys when he reached the bigs?

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
13 minutes ago, Crusaderfan said:

Getting one more start but I don't see how he sticks after that - unless they go with a 6 man rotation.  

He's not listed as starting this week on ESPN or Yahoo...

IS he starting this week? When 45 year old Colon and his 8 ERA come off the DL you HAVE TO START him if you're ATL. Same with Dickey :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't know when - I was going by this:

Newcomb will stay in the Braves rotation for at least one more turn, as the club plans to deploy a six-man rotation when Bartolo Colon (oblique) comes off the DL, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports. "We'll start with [the six-man rotation] and then see where we go," Braves manager Brian Snitker said. "I don't think we're committing to it for an extended period. But it's just kind of like you've got to start somewhere in that situation, and we'll deal with it as we go."

Nobody weighed in on his last start so I just want to note the following: 

• The kids throws gas. He was hitting 100/101 in the first inning. If they ever want to move him to the bullpen he'd be a star. 
  • His new delivery looks effortless. Very few moving parts. It's crazy how much velocity he gets from looking like he is just doing soft-toss. 
  • The HRs were unusual for him, lately he's been suppressing HRs. 
  • The walks were expected. If he could limit them to 2-3 a game, for now, that would be great. 
  • If he were calling almost anywhere but Coors south I'd feel much more confident in him in a Dynasty league. 

I'm very intrigued by this kid. Very intrigued.