NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Statistically they are closer than people would like to admit but here are a few reasons why i'm more excited: Age relative to their opponents (21 vs 26), speed of advancement through the minors

Law is such a tool.  No one cares that he didn't have Alvarez in his top 100 prospects.  But, sitting there now, claiming he wouldn't add him, is pure cow dookie.  You made a mistake, Keith.  You miss

Posted Images

9 hours ago, bigbossman said:

off the top of my head and looking into a crystal ball the comp is eddie murray

Murray was only 6'2'' though. What brings you to that comp?

I've heard a lot people reference Dave Parker, I suppose because both are huge lefty 6'5'' frames with a body stride forward during their swings. But Parker was a bit before my time so I don't really know.

The patience, frame and opposite field approach from a lefty reminds me a little bit of David Ortiz, but maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself comparing someone playing with juiced (regular MLB) balls in the PCL. The leader board is a bit ridiculous, 23 players in the PCL with an OPS above 1.000. Maybe earlier career Ryan Howard with better plate discipline, both have tons of opposite field homers. Funny to me, ZIPs comps him to Nick Markakis which seems a bit weird, but 22 year old Markakis put up a .291 BA / .351 OB / .799 OPS with 16 HR in 542 PA. Alvarez is about to turn 22 (June 27), that would be a respectable debut even if it doesn't meet the hype. Any other decent comps?

Edited by Light Tower Power
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, Light Tower Power said:

Murray was only 6'2'' though. What brings you to that comp?

I've heard a lot people reference Dave Parker, I suppose because both are huge lefty 6'5'' frames with a body stride forward during their swings. But Parker was a bit before my time so I don't really know.

The patience, frame and opposite field approach from a lefty reminds me a little bit of David Ortiz, but maybe I'm getting a bit ahead of myself comparing someone playing with juiced (regular MLB) balls in the PCL. The leader board is a bit ridiculous, 23 players in the PCL with an OPS above 1.000. Maybe earlier career Ryan Howard with better plate discipline, both have tons of opposite field homers. Funny to me, ZIPs comps him to Nick Markakis which seems a bit weird, but 22 year old Markakis put up a .291 BA / .351 OB / .799 OPS with 16 HR in 542 PA. Alvarez is about to turn 22 (June 27), that would be a respectable debut even if it doesn't meet the hype. Any other decent comps?

Interesting names.  I had been thinking Dave "The Cobra" Parker for awhile myself and that would be a very satisfying result should that occur. I think that's a good one overall (without the stolen bases that Parker had in an era where everyone ran) for power and average.   IMO I don't think Alvarez will have the same sheer power that Ryan Howard had but can see some similar lines to his early career with about 35-40 homers.  I see Eddie Murray and David Ortiz just being a level above what Alvarez will be...

Of course all these guys were elite so who knows?   Be fun if it happened... 

• Like 2

We never know until he gets to the majors but one thing the Astros lack is a real power hitter in the cleanup spot of the lineup.   Brantley has been utilized there for the most part.  Seems he would be a great fit there (eventually)...

26 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

imagine if a team actually called up someone so hot right into mlb? i wonder, 

Right? 

Its better to wait til he has a big slump , call him up and let him go 0 for 4 a couple times then not play him anymore.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DJSatane said:

imagine if a team actually called up someone so hot right into mlb? i wonder, 

It does happen occasionally, even if I can't actually name anybody specifically, but it obviously doesn't happen enough (like here).

Like others have said, they need to give him more time to marinate since obviously they have so many better options with such better upside than a guy absolutely embarrassing his competition right now...

34 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

Alright. Air Yordan has to be added in ALL formats regardless if you have a NA slot. 

This is just PURE nasty. We’re not worthy. We’re not worthy. 

You see that, Houston?  You guys don't have an NA slot either, but he still should be added (to the MLB roster of course).

Honestly, it should be tomorrow, but that's hilarious to even think that.

He is THE guy to add for this year as far as hitters go. Who else is lurking in the minors really for this year?

Maybe Tucker but two prospects on the same team being called up in the same year?! My mind and body couldn’t handle that. 

Astros need to just trade or dump Verne Troyer (Kemp) and Fat Bastard (White) and bring up Yordan!

On 5/2/2019 at 7:14 AM, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Eat your heart out Keith Law!!

This was from his latest chat.  It feels like a baited question because his bat will carry him to a dh role if he can't field well enough.  But since Law has been all over the place with his views on Alvarez I liked the form of the question.  

Alex: Is Yordan Alvarez a major leaguer given his defense liabilities?
Keith Law: Definitely a major leaguer.

At the end of last year he called Alvarez a third tier talent which by definition would not "definitely" be "a major leaguer". 

"Third tier":  http://meadowparty.com/blog/2018/10/25/klawchat-10-25-18/
"Definitely a major leaguer":  http://meadowparty.com/blog/author/keith/

Just admit you were wrong by a country mile bro...

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

#1 on the most added in yahoo today. People that have never heard of him soon will. Better stash quick.

True.  People thinking he'll be the 26th player for this weekend's games which is not supposed to be him but someone already on the 40 man roster.   Too bad if true but wonder if he'll be the biggest drop come tomorrow...

Edited by knuckleheads