NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

Rotoworld just posted the following blurb so you might want to move on him before the casuals in your leagues see it:

Astros OF prospect Yordan Alvarez went 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles on Thursday for Triple-A Round Rock.

The three-hit game bumps Alvarez's average up to .402, and his on-base percentage of .490 and slugging mark of .931 shows just how dominant the 21-year-old has been in the PCL this year. We're running out of superlatives with Alvarez. The bat is clearly ready to go, and it's just a matter of finding a spot for him in the Houston lineup. If/when that happens in 2019; run, don't walk.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Statistically they are closer than people would like to admit but here are a few reasons why i'm more excited: Age relative to their opponents (21 vs 26), speed of advancement through the minors

Law is such a tool.  No one cares that he didn't have Alvarez in his top 100 prospects.  But, sitting there now, claiming he wouldn't add him, is pure cow dookie.  You made a mistake, Keith.  You miss

Posted Images

11 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

This was from his latest chat.  It feels like a baited question because his bat will carry him to a dh role if he can't field well enough.  But since Law has been all over the place with his views on Alvarez I liked the form of the question.  

Alex: Is Yordan Alvarez a major leaguer given his defense liabilities?
Keith Law: Definitely a major leaguer.

At the end of last year he called Alvarez a third tier talent which by definition would not "definitely" be "a major leaguer". 

"Third tier":  http://meadowparty.com/blog/2018/10/25/klawchat-10-25-18/
"Definitely a major leaguer":  http://meadowparty.com/blog/author/keith/

Just admit you were wrong by a country mile bro...

Keith Law was one of the highest ranked guys on Yordan in early 2018.  2019? After coming off a pretty good year at new levels at a young age. Off the top 100.

There's a story in there somewhere, but whoever he relies on for information clearly gave him bad intel for him to take a bad 180 like that. 

Random thought....I love how one of the main arguments against him is that he plays in the PCL.  The other guys putting up ridiculous stats in the PCL are all seasoned vets over age 24 outside of Hiura. 

The bottom line is that he's crushing a league he's young for. If the point of all the PCL talk is to say he's not going to hit 80 homers (162 game pace of where he's at now) then I sincerely appreciate all the invaluable comps.

Astros have a 2 game series in Mexico this weekend and follow that up with a 7 game homestand. With Yordan’s scorching hot tear and the Astros scuffling a bit by their standards it wouldn’t surprise me to see him get the call next week. It’ll come down to having to DFA Kemp or White. I don’t see much reason for either to hold back Yordan, but Kemp seems like a good candidate. With Springer, Marisnick, Reddick, Brantley, and Alvarez they will have plenty of depth at the major league level. At Triple A they have Tucker, Straw, and Fisher who are all quite possibly better than him right now.

• Thanks 1

Man with Whitley getting shelled in AAA and me only having 1 NA slot I’m thinking of picking up Alvarez. Just a redraft league not dynasty or anything so I can take risks like that lol 

33 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Astros have a 2 game series in Mexico this weekend and follow that up with a 7 game homestand. With Yordan’s scorching hot tear and the Astros scuffling a bit by their standards it wouldn’t surprise me to see him get the call next week. It’ll come down to having to DFA Kemp or White. I don’t see much reason for either to hold back Yordan, but Kemp seems like a good candidate. With Springer, Marisnick, Reddick, Brantley, and Alvarez they will have plenty of depth at the major league level. At Triple A they have Tucker, Straw, and Fisher who are all quite possibly better than him right now.

I’ve heard the Kemp thing discussed a lot by professional baseball nerds ( I do a lot of driving.)  Apparently Kemp is a great clubhouse, glue, intangibles, play anywhere type of guy that won’t be easy to cut.  I mean if They keep getting .150 type numbers from dH for a month then it’ll force their hand.   The AAA guys might even get first crack.  I’m look at yordan as a pure stash, no contribution this year, in my keeper.  Sometimes you get lucky ( tatis) sometimes you don’t (Eloy.)

Edited by Cesare13
1 hour ago, hypeiz4real said:

Random thought....I love how one of the main arguments against him is that he plays in the PCL.  The other guys putting up ridiculous stats in the PCL are all seasoned vets over age 24 outside of Hiura. 

The bottom line is that he's crushing a league he's young for. If the point of all the PCL talk is to say he's not going to hit 80 homers (162 game pace of where he's at now) then I sincerely appreciate all the invaluable comps.

It also matters where you play in the PCL. People act like it just uniformly inflates stats across the board, but it’s 16 unique parks and they aren’t all Coors clones.

The hitter’s parks that give the PCL its rep are in the mountain region - Albuquerque, Reno, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City and El Paso. Alvarez hasn’t played in any of them this year.

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'd imagine White

Can Gurriel play 3B or am I making that up?  If so  I'd imagine it also opens up a slot spot for Alvarez to play 1B if Gurriel, Bregman, or Correa sit.

But yeah gotta imagine White would be the clearest opening here.

1 minute ago, Baur10 said:

Can Gurriel play 3B or am I making that up?  If so  I'd imagine it also opens up a slot spot for Alvarez to play 1B if Gurriel, Bregman, or Correa sit.

But yeah gotta imagine White would be the clearest opening here.

Im assuming his defense isnt great but Yuli has gotten starts there every year

Yahoo ownership almost up to 20%. Once a guy starts getting picked up other owners who check owned level trends will see this bump and pile on. The story is you may not be able to wait for his official call up you might have to jump fast and pile on the ownership level. Since I assume keepers and dynasty he was owned already this last 18% raise has to be redraft leagues. A 21 year old batting 402 in AAA has got to be more appealing than Ryon Healy or whoever else is ur last man on ur roster.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

Yahoo ownership almost up to 20%. Once a guy starts getting picked up other owners who check owned level trends will see this bump and pile on. The story is you may not be able to wait for his official call up you might have to jump fast and pile on the ownership level. Since I assume keepers and dynasty he was owned already this last 18% raise has to be redraft leagues. A 21 year old batting 402 in AAA has got to be more appealing than Ryon Healy or whoever else is ur last man on ur roster.

On ESPN he's only 1.9% weird. He's also listed as an OF on ESPN which is just silly. 

13 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

On ESPN he's only 1.9% weird. He's also listed as an OF on ESPN which is just silly. 

According to Fangraphs, of the 17 games he's started, 12 were OF and only 5 at 1B. 

Edited by kelle1sa
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

He's at 40% on Fantrax.

A large % of Fantrax leagues are dynasty and keeper so their ownership numbers are usually skewed for young players.

bold worth noting.

http://rotoprofessor.com/mlb-prospect-power-rankings-top-10-on-the-cusp-of-reaching-the-majors-may-3-2019/

You wondered where he may fit in the lineup, given the strong outfield play the team has gotten, but seeing Alvarez play first base in two of three games from April 26-28 is somewhat telling.  He’s now appeared in 35 games at the position over the course of his minor league career, and with Tyler White (.261 with 0 HR) particularly struggling (though Yuli Gurriel is hitting just .240 with 1 HR) there would appear to be an opportunity for the taking.

Alvarez is doing his part to force the issue, hitting .347 with 11 HR and 29 RBI over 75 AB at Triple-A (including 5 HR and 17 RBI over his past 10 games).  Not only has he hit for power, he’s shown an ability to get on base (13.6% walk rate) and make consistent contact (9.2% SwStr%).  Obviously he won’t maintain a 50.0% HR/FB, so the home run total is a little bit skewed, but there’s power, a strong approach and a clear path to playing time.  In other words, it’s the perfect storm for potential success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure I'm not the only who's been refreshing the MILB forum today hoping one of these Yordan updates is going to be the "It's Happening!' GIF haha.  It's only a matter of time, fellas.  Better lock the kid down now before someone else scoops him up and stashes.  I've been holding for a few weeks already with fingers crossed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

Unless he gets a cup of coffee this weekend (and I bet they call up a RP), then I don't see him coming up until June at the earliest. And more likely a Sept call up

No offense, but I really hope you are wrong. No one knows so you absolutely could be correct, but ....  

1 hour ago, RBI Sports said:

Unless he gets a cup of coffee this weekend (and I bet they call up a RP), then I don't see him coming up until June at the earliest. And more likely a Sept call up

Rules say it must be a position player, probably somebody already on the 40 man roster.