NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Statistically they are closer than people would like to admit but here are a few reasons why i'm more excited: Age relative to their opponents (21 vs 26), speed of advancement through the minors

Law is such a tool.  No one cares that he didn't have Alvarez in his top 100 prospects.  But, sitting there now, claiming he wouldn't add him, is pure cow dookie.  You made a mistake, Keith.  You miss

Posted Images

Not that "expert opinion" means much but FWIW I'm having a hard time finding a fantasy/baseball personality on Twitter that's optimistic for a quick call up. We've talked about it before in the thread that the Astros are typically a more conservative/patient organisation when it comes to prospects.  I want him badly but just be aware if you're stashing him there's a decent chance you'll be waiting awhile before he's up.

(Let's go reverse jinx! 🤞)

The thing with prospects is if we wait for them to be worth picking up they will be 2 weeks gone. Sometimes u gotta pounce before ur league. Better to be a day early than a day late. As for when he is up it is a game of chicken. Can I wait another day? He is now batting 404 so that obviously is not the issue. The real and only question is "can I live without him?"

12 hours ago, bigbossman said:

Off night for Yordan 

3 for 4 two doubles

Definitely needs more seasoning.  I say roll with Tyler White for a while longer until Yordan hits another HR, then re-consider.  Hey, maybe all of those HRs were a fluke anyways...

😉

31 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

The thing with prospects is if we wait for them to be worth picking up they will be 2 weeks gone. Sometimes u gotta pounce before ur league. Better to be a day early than a day late. As for when he is up it is a game of chicken. Can I wait another day? He is now batting 404 so that obviously is not the issue. The real and only question is "can I live without him?"

I don't disagree.  Just think that people making the decision to pick him up or not should to be aware of the very realistic possibility that he's down for a month plus. That's worth it to me but may not be worth it to others depending on the league.  The "they have to call him up now!" line is overplayed IMO.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RBI Sports said:

They should call up someone today right? I guess they don’t have to, but they have room correct? Just for the weekend trip 

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

3-3 with a walk, tonight.  Now, hitting .422.  But, but, but......... Tyler White.

White is garbage, but the bigger threat might be Tucker.  4 more hits so far tonight, including another HR...and he's already on the 40-man roster.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

White is garbage, but the bigger threat might be Tucker.  4 more hits so far tonight, including another HR...and he's already on the 40-man roster.

I get your point.  But, Tucker, even with his outburst, is still barely hitting over .200.  At this point in time, the only issue is Houston's front office reluctance to make a move with either White or Kemp.  When Tucker is hitting within 100 points of Alvarez, I'll consider him a legitimate threat.

Edited by Goatstain3
20 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Astros arent calling a guy up to DH

I read something from a beat writer about a week ago that said the thinking was Alvarez would mostly dh this year and play occasionally in left field when their other regulars needed a day to just dh. I’ll post a link when I have some time to hunt for it.

11 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Astros arent calling a guy up to DH

Then Tucker is no threat to Alvarez being called up because they have no room in the OF for either Tucker or Alvarez.  They aren't benching Brantley, Springer, or Reddick.  Somebody has to DH in the IF then, which I suppose would be Gurriel, opening up 1B possibly for Alvarez.

This isn't directed towards you at all of course, but if they want Alvarez to work on playing 1B a little more in AAA, then that would be the only legitimate reason for him not being up already.  They couldn't give me one excuse I would actually accept as to why Alvarez wasn't called up on Friday otherwise.

15 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Then Tucker is no threat to Alvarez being called up because they have no room in the OF for either Tucker or Alvarez.  They aren't benching Brantley, Springer, or Reddick.  Somebody has to DH in the IF then, which I suppose would be Gurriel, opening up 1B possibly for Alvarez.

This isn't directed towards you at all of course, but if they want Alvarez to work on playing 1B a little more in AAA, then that would be the only legitimate reason for him not being up already.  They couldn't give me one excuse I would actually accept as to why Alvarez wasn't called up on Friday otherwise.

Interestingly enough, Tucker started in RF yesterday for Round Rock, with Yordan in LF, so the organization is clearly looking at all different angles.

To further expand on this, Yordan has played 11 games at LF, 1 at RF, 6 at 1B and 7 at DH in 2019 so far.

Tyler White is out of options, so if they can't trade him, they'll have to DFA him if they want to get rid of him to make room. Gurriel could certainly DH, though by all accounts he's a much better defender at 1B than Yordan and probably brings better value to the Astros defensively than DH'ing. It's easy to look past this when viewing the prospect of a call up through a fantasy lens.

7 hours ago, pushaZ said:

is this really about Super 2?

Somewhat, but Alvarez wasn't the complete player last year as he seems to be now. Look at how much Vlad is struggling....and how much Tucker struggled last year. Although, some of that may have been playing time issues. But why make the same mistakes with Alvarez. I want him up and dropping bombs. Just saying, its not a guarantee that happens if he gets the call. 

57 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

Somewhat, but Alvarez wasn't the complete player last year as he seems to be now. Look at how much Vlad is struggling....and how much Tucker struggled last year. Although, some of that may have been playing time issues. But why make the same mistakes with Alvarez. I want him up and dropping bombs. Just saying, its not a guarantee that happens if he gets the call. 

Not arguing or anything, but just because two prized prospects have struggled in the majors (I'll give Vlad a pass since it's been only 9 days) doesn't mean they have to be overly cautious with Alvarez.  Some prospects come up and explode (Hoskins, Alonso, Chavis, Soto...)

• Like 3

From 5-4-19:

"It's pretty clear he can hit right now in the big leagues," general manager Jeff Luhnow said Saturday. "I think for him to have the maximum impact on this team, we need him to be able to play a position and I do think left field is where he has the best chance to play for us, especially in our ballpark, and he is making strides."

Listed at 6-5 and 225 pounds, Álvarez is "actually a faster person than you would anticipate," according to Luhnow. Routes and reaction times have been slower for Álvarez to grasp in the outfield, Luhnow said, perhaps the only thing holding Álvarez back from a major league call-up.

"If (Álvarez) is coming up, he's coming up to play, and if he comes up and hits .210, that's not going to help our team. I need to make sure he's going to help our team, but he certainly is making it a conversation, not just with our fans, but internally."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-taking-it-slow-with-Yordan-lvarez-as-13819746.php

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Not arguing or anything, but just because two prized prospects have struggled in the majors (I'll give Vlad a pass since it's been only 9 days) doesn't mean they have to be overly cautious with Alvarez.  Some prospects come up and explode (Hoskins, Alonso, Chavis, Soto...)

Agreed. Just saying along with super 2, they have other reasons to wait.