NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Statistically they are closer than people would like to admit but here are a few reasons why i'm more excited: Age relative to their opponents (21 vs 26), speed of advancement through the minors

Law is such a tool.  No one cares that he didn't have Alvarez in his top 100 prospects.  But, sitting there now, claiming he wouldn't add him, is pure cow dookie.  You made a mistake, Keith.  You miss

Posted Images

These numbers are some of the most ridiculous I’ve ever seen in all my years following baseball.  I know they’re worried about his defense but honestly Yuli Gurriel is a pretty lackluster MLB first basemen.  Houston is getting almost nothing from 1B/DH.  His path shouldn’t be that difficult.

Edited by Cmilne23
17 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

These numbers are some of the most ridiculous I’ve ever seen in all my years following baseball.  I know they’re worried about his defense but honestly Yuli Gurriel is a pretty lackluster MLB first basemen.  Houston is getting almost nothing from 1B/DH.  His path shouldn’t be that difficult.

Agreed.  I understand the major issue is the 40 man.  However, I do believe that somehow, the Astros organization could pull through, if some team were to claim that five tool juggernaut, Tyler White.  Dude looks like he should be moving furniture, for a living.  

• Haha 3
31 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

FWIW Luhnow seems to have him pegged for LF not 1B but who knows. This is from an article on the 4th (I think it was posted already):

"It's pretty clear he can hit right now in the big leagues," general manager Jeff Luhnow said Saturday. "I think for him to have the maximum impact on this team, we need him to be able to play a position and I do think left field is where he has the best chance to play for us, especially in our ballpark, and he is making strides."

Listed at 6-5 and 225 pounds, Álvarez is "actually a faster person than you would anticipate," according to Luhnow. Routes and reaction times have been slower for Álvarez to grasp in the outfield, Luhnow said, perhaps the only thing holding Álvarez back from a major league call-up.

13 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

FWIW Luhnow seems to have him pegged for LF not 1B but who knows. This is from an article on the 4th (I think it was posted already):

"It's pretty clear he can hit right now in the big leagues," general manager Jeff Luhnow said Saturday. "I think for him to have the maximum impact on this team, we need him to be able to play a position and I do think left field is where he has the best chance to play for us, especially in our ballpark, and he is making strides."

Listed at 6-5 and 225 pounds, Álvarez is "actually a faster person than you would anticipate," according to Luhnow. Routes and reaction times have been slower for Álvarez to grasp in the outfield, Luhnow said, perhaps the only thing holding Álvarez back from a major league call-up.

Yordan in LF, Brantley to DH to preserve health?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, hypeiz4real said:

I'm all aboard the hype train but let's not pretend like raking for 72 career AAA games means he has nothing left to prove. 

He has nothing left to prove in the minor league. It's become a young man's game and guys are getting called up sooner than later nowadays. Soto didn't have one AB in AAA. No reason not to call him up now other than some funky logistics.

4 hours ago, Goatstain3 said:

Agreed.  I understand the major issue is the 40 man.  However, I do believe that somehow, the Astros organization could pull through, if some team were to claim that five tool juggernaut, Tyler White.  Dude looks like he should be moving furniture, for a living.  

Evan Gattis farts in your general direction my dude....or was he a janitor?

There is no 40 man issue. The Astros have two open spots even before transferring Lance to the 60-day.

4 hours ago, Goatstain3 said:

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

0-4, 2 Ks...just dropped below the double mendoza line at .390.  Time to send this guy back to AA to work on his swing.

Well, at least Tyler White can point to today as a day that he matched Yordan’s production!

• Haha 2
32 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Well, at least Tyler White can point to today as a day that he matched Yordan’s production!

Not really. Tyler White pitched a scoreless inning. They might need him to do that more often if he continues to be in the lineup. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, meh2 said:

White sealed the deal when he showed his versatility by pitching a scoreless inning with a K.  We're never seeing Yordan now 😔

He talks about Yordan and his potential call up at like the 30 second mark.  Not that you can read too much into a GM talking to a radio show but it at face value it doesn't sound as if he's in a hurry. 

Edited by Baur10

This is no way directed towards you.  You're just the messenger, but the fact that he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to call up Alvarez is not shocking whatsoever.  An absolute joke, but at the end of the day, not shocking.  Tyler White is the greatest DH in the history of baseball and all, and it would be such a unrecoverable blow to the franchise if him or Kemp were lost to another team via waivers.

Obviously we'll see what happens though.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Tyler White is the greatest DH in the history of baseball and all, and it would be such a unrecoverable blow to the franchise if him or Kemp were lost to another team via waivers.

Unfotunately though, it's not about Tyler White - this is what Luhnow stated just this past Saturday (it's been posted several times over the past few pages):

Edited by Dark One
1 hour ago, Dark One said:

Unfotunately though, it's not about Tyler White - this is what Luhnow stated just this past Saturday (it's been posted several times over the past few pages):

Uhmmm,  Alvarez has been playing the outfield for years now so there's not going to be much room for improvement.  Especially from now to whatever call up date you decide on.  If that's really you want there Luhnow then you might as well just trade him now because it's an invalid excuse...

Edited by knuckleheads