Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Statistically they are closer than people would like to admit but here are a few reasons why i'm more excited: Age relative to their opponents (21 vs 26), speed of advancement through the minors

Law is such a tool.  No one cares that he didn't have Alvarez in his top 100 prospects.  But, sitting there now, claiming he wouldn't add him, is pure cow dookie.  You made a mistake, Keith.  You miss

Posted Images

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

Sorry meant 25-man.


The 25-man shouldn't be a problem either as long as they're ok with DFA'ing Tyler White. The problem is that he'll need an everyday non-DH position unless Luhnow was just using GM speak and doesn't really care about his defensive development (though I'm personally buying what Luhnow stated given what Seth Beer is doing and he has much more of a classic long term DH profile than Alvarez does). The key players blocking him right now are Gurriel and Brantley (Brantley has already stated he's not interested in increasing his DH role, so perhaps if Gurriel can move to 3B with Bregman shifting to SS he could have a chance).

Edited by Dark One
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Frankly, I don’t see a difference between Yordan and Kevin Cron statistically. Why is everyone expecting Yordan to come up and blowup the bigs? I’m still holding but I guess hope for the best, expect the worst.

The two aren't comparable - Cron has been thought of as a AAAA type player for awhile now and is 5 years older than Alvarez. Alvarez's rise has been meteoric given the production/age/level - he's also more athletic and has a much better chance of sticking in the field somewhere (and of course playing for a top offensive unit taking away some of the pressure doesn't hurt either).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

Frankly, I don’t see a difference between Yordan and Kevin Cron statistically. Why is everyone expecting Yordan to come up and blowup the bigs? I’m still holding but I guess hope for the best, expect the worst.

 

There's a reason why lying about ages was such an epidemic in the MLB.

Cause birthdate matters.

A 22 year old's performance at ""X Level" is going to be perceived radically differently than the same performance from a 26 year old.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody actually know when Super Two is? I don't believe that 100% of the reason he isn't being called up to be super two related, but also don't expect him up before it. For all of the talk about it, it would be nice to know a definitive date...anyone got anything?

Edited by nlm
Link to post
Share on other sites

My supervisor has the Kevin Cron smile, the guy is one the most untrustworthy people I've ever worked with.  Anything you say he is liable to spin it and deliver it to someone else out of context.

 

Don't trust Kevin, trust Yordan. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nlm said:

Does anybody actually know when Super Two is? I don't believe that 100% of the reason he isn't being called up to be super two related, but also don't expect him up before it. For all of the talk about it, it would be nice to know a definitive date...anyone got anything?

Nobody knows for sure and we won't until next year. It's traditionally been in the first week or so of June, but there's speculation it might be at the end of May this year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Overlord said:

 

There's a reason why lying about ages was such an epidemic in the MLB.

Cause birthdate matters.

A 22 year old's performance at ""X Level" is going to be perceived radically differently than the same performance from a 26 year old.  

 

I think that whole Age argument is over rated and it is simple to understand why and it's all in why is there a difference. It's because some players are international players joining the Minor at the Age 15 and 16. Others are High School Kids joining the Minors at the age of 17 and 18 and finally those who go to collage can be 21 or 22 when the join the Minors.

They use aluminium baseball bats in collage and you can make the Argument it's not the best game to help them get ready to play in the Majors and that they join the Minors behind in the Learning curve and it can take them time to figure it out and it's just silly to make an argument that a player that went to collage can't as good as one who didn't if the talent is there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Probably this tweet:

Which is incorrect according to the box score:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&did=milb&gid=2019_05_27_rreaaa_nasaaa_1

I’m pretty sure the home run in question came in a game that was suspended earlier in the season. The homer just recently happened but it must’ve been recorded in the game log from the original date the game started.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, meh2 said:

I’m pretty sure the home run in question came in a game that was suspended earlier in the season. The homer just recently happened but it must’ve been recorded in the game log from the original date the game started.

That would make sense. Pretty confusing nonetheless, and would appear the RW blurb boys got it wrong.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see him still getting this precious development time in the minors. Meanwhile with every donut and o-for, Tyler White inches closer to slugging his body weight.

 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Glad to see him still getting this precious development time in the minors. Meanwhile with every donut and o-for, Tyler White inches closer to slugging his body weight.

 

 

Yeah but the question is, do they still throw the 4 pitches down there? He may never see that in the majors so def something he should work on while he’s down there. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...