Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yordan Alvarez 1B HOU


Recommended Posts

James Anderson from Rotowire just said on SiriusXM Fantasy that Alvarez could come up before the end of April.  Just to see if he can cut it against major league pitching.  

Edited by pmccurry
grammar
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Statistically they are closer than people would like to admit but here are a few reasons why i'm more excited: Age relative to their opponents (21 vs 26), speed of advancement through the minors

Law is such a tool.  No one cares that he didn't have Alvarez in his top 100 prospects.  But, sitting there now, claiming he wouldn't add him, is pure cow dookie.  You made a mistake, Keith.  You miss

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, pmccurry said:

James Anderson from Rotowire just said on SiriusXM Fantasy that Alvarez could come up before the end of April.  Just to see if he can cut it against major league pitching.  

I haven’t heard anything about him coming up this soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard anything either, but I could see it happening as White is doing nada and his peripherals suggest he should actually be doing worse. Alvarez has been advertised as a man without a position and with White struggling, Alvarez replacing him at DH seems like a natural fit. I may have actually just talked myself into adding him in one of my keeper leagues.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pmccurry said:

James Anderson from Rotowire just said on SiriusXM Fantasy that Alvarez could come up before the end of April.  Just to see if he can cut it against major league pitching.  

 

For context, the premise James was using isn't that there is some rumor of a call-up. Rather, if Alvarez keeps raking like this for a few more weeks and Tyler White continues to suck, the Astros aren't going to leave a guy this hot in AAA when they have such a hole on the MLB roster.

Personally, I don't see it, but if Alvarez stays this got for 3 more weeks, he's sitting at like 15 homers by the end of April, so we're already talking unprecedented territory.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jb_power said:

6 HRs in 30 ABs with 7 BBs and 7 Ks

 

Is Round Rock known as a hitter's park?

 

Just the opposite. My personal calculations have Round Rock's home stadium Dell Diamond as 10% below league average in terms of run production, 3.5% below average for wOBA, 5% below average for HR count (caveat: all based on 2018 production only). Seems to agree with an article I found from 2016 showing triple-A park factors between 2014-2016.

We've gotta be seeing Alvarez soon.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Feels pretty similar to the Tucker situation last year, I think there's a chance he could be up next week and a chance we see him for nothing more than sporadic playing time in July /August.

Seems like he has a better shot to contribute on offense than White and Alvarez (like Alonso) might not be worth keeping down for service time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jb_power said:

looked like he just flicked the bat and .... gone!

 

Looked like it was going close to CF as well. I feel like in his 3 HR game, none of them were cheap pull shots either.  Really seems like he has all fields power. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as they're winning, I can't see the Astros calling up Yordan before the super 2.  White and Kemp are out of options and Marisnick is close to getting there as well. So unless one of those guys gets traded or the Stros go on a losing streak, there's no reason to waste a year of control on Yordan. But once super 2 passes, it's on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 8:59 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Worst part about Keith not including Yordan was that he ranked him like 40 last year and had very little explanation why he didnt make it this year.  He hit very well last year too so and acknowledged in his 2018 write up he was probably 1b.  Pretty bizarre stuff.

 

Chris: Didn’t find Yordan Alvarez any of your lists. What’s your thoughts on him? Too risky of a hitting profile given he’s not a great defender?
Keith Law: See above. “Not a great defender” is kind. Might be a DH. Not an elite hitter, either.

 

Alvarez is certainly embarrassing the hell out of Keith Law right now.  At least he should be...

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Alvarez is certainly embarrassing the hell out of Keith Law right now.  At least he should be...

I used to really care about what Law thought, but anymore I think he's just another guy that's too much a slave to tools or other rankings. I asked about why Hoskins got no love when everyone was all over Dom Smith's jock. Got some BS response. I mean, you can't always be right on anyone, but he's really quick to dismiss the guys who are "big guy hit ball far" kinda guys. 

Even if Alvarez isn't a great defender, that bat is going to play. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sngehl01 said:

I used to really care about what Law thought, but anymore I think he's just another guy that's too much a slave to tools or other rankings. I asked about why Hoskins got no love when everyone was all over Dom Smith's jock. Got some BS response. I mean, you can't always be right on anyone, but he's really quick to dismiss the guys who are "big guy hit ball far" kinda guys. 

Even if Alvarez isn't a great defender, that bat is going to play. 

He's very dismissive of certain things. He does put certain guys on the radar that others don't. He was highest on Tatis in early 2017 by a considerably margin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My memory is a bit hazy, how aggressive are the Astros typically with prospect call ups?  Correa was June, Springer April, but other than that I don't know the organization well.  Gurriel has been decent but Kemp/White have been a clear weak link so there's clearly a place for him even without an injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Baur10 said:

My memory is a bit hazy, how aggressive are the Astros typically with prospect call ups?  Correa was June, Springer April, but other than that I don't know the organization well.  Gurriel has been decent but Kemp/White have been a clear weak link so there's clearly a place for him even without an injury.

 

Whatever the opposite of aggressive is defines the Astros. As much as I want to believe they'll call up Yordan, I have no confidence that it'll be soon enough to warrant a redraft stash. Maybe after Super-2, but I don't even feel good about that. We just went through waiting on Tucker last year... we're still waiting on them and Whitley again... and now Alvarez.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Whatever the opposite of aggressive is defines the Astros. As much as I want to believe they'll call up Yordan, I have no confidence that it'll be soon enough to warrant a redraft stash. Maybe after Super-2, but I don't even feel good about that. We just went through waiting on Tucker last year... we're still waiting on them and Whitley again... and now Alvarez.

 

Well that's disappointing. I'm remembering all the Tucker talk from last year now that you mention it.  Hard to argue with their player development/management system at this point though I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...