Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

 

It means the Packers will just throw the ball more.  You've got Rodgers and:

-Jordy

-Cobb

-Davante

-Allison

-Bennett

 

Pretty sure a team will go this way as opposed to Rodgers handing the ball off to a rook.

 

People are making this too complicated.

 

RBs can catch passes...

 

Who is the better fit to catch passes out of the backfield? HINT: It isn't Williams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

No, not at all. Because the big thing is getting yardage. Something Williams has appeared to be notably worse at than Jones ever since they were drafted, and certainly last week.

 

Not sure last week really counts as Williams got hurt after 4 carries.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, herschel said:

Ty Montgomery (ribs) was not seen at the early portion of Thursday's practice.

Just coming here to post that. I still say Jones is a good hold with blow up potential. If you HAVE to drop someone then sure, but I think you have to at least hold onto him until we see what happens this weekend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, disasterisk said:

 

RBs can catch passes...

 

Who is the better fit to catch passes out of the backfield? HINT: It isn't Williams.

 

Right.  It will be Randall Cobb.

 

Gosh, its like none of you have watched the Packers before...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JaNelson38 said:

 

Right.  It will be Randall Cobb.

 

Gosh, its like none of you have watched the Packers before...

I watch every game.  Cobb gets 1-2 snaps out of the backfield max if he's lucky, unless they have zero rbs left, then he gets around 5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

I watch every game.  Cobb gets 1-2 snaps out of the backfield max if he's lucky, unless they have zero rbs left, then he gets around 5.

 

 

My point is you guys depending on or hoping for production from Aaron Jones this week will be sorely disappointed.

 

The big winners for fantasy from Ty Montgomery sitting arent the other two backs...they are Aaron Rodgers and the Packers receivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

I watch every game.  Cobb gets 1-2 snaps out of the backfield max if he's lucky, unless they have zero rbs left, then he gets around 5.

 

I'm not sure that @JaNelson38 was saying that Cobb will get the snaps out of the backfield.  I think what he was saying, and I could be wrong, is that Cobb will get more short routes due to the lack of a running game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JaNelson38 said:

 

Right.  It will be Randall Cobb.

 

Gosh, its like none of you have watched the Packers before...

You guys act like they've got a bunch of scrubs in the backfield. When they have RB they will run 15-20 times a game. It remains to be seen if either guy is good but they are not as dangerous of a team if they don't run. 

 

They're going to go to Cobb over Jones or Williams? Are you kidding? I agree that they may not use either RB out of the backfield as much but Jones is was a very good receiver in college and ran like 12 routes last week. Williams isn't a great receiver as far as I can tell but he's good enough to catch dumpoff passes. I have a hard time believing that the RBs won't get 5+ catches between them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

You guys act like they've got a bunch of scrubs in the backfield. When they have RB they will run 15-20 times a game. It remains to be seen if either guy is good but they are not as dangerous of a team if they don't run. 

 

They're going to go to Cobb over Jones or Williams? Are you kidding? I agree that they may not use either RB out of the backfield as much but Jones is was a very good receiver in college and ran like 12 routes last week. Williams isn't a great receiver as far as I can tell but he's good enough to catch dumpoff passes. I have a hard time believing that the RBs won't get 5+ catches between them. 

 

The Packers game plan will be spread-and-fire.  Book it.  Its indoors vs a bad defense.  The offensive line will be together for the first time this season.  All of the receivers are healthy.

 

They're not playing the Bears at home this week with 4 guards on the offensive line in a rainstorm.

 

If you're banking on Mike McCarthy giving one of these rookies 15-20 carries, you're nuts.  He barely gave that to Eddie Lacy per game when Lacy was actually good.

Edited by JaNelson38
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

If you're banking on Mike McCarthy giving one of these rookies 15-20 carries, you're nuts.  He barely gave that to Eddie Lacy per game when Lacy was actually good.

Dude, TyMont was getting 20 touches a game. Between Jones and Williams they will get 20ish. They gave Jones the ball 14 times last game. I will be shocked if they don't get 15-20+ combined touches. If Williams is still not fully recovered from his injury Jones is getting 15 touches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

Dude, TyMont was getting 20 touches a game. Between Jones and Williams they will get 20ish. They gave Jones the ball 14 times last game. I will be shocked if they don't get 15-20+ combined touches. If Williams is still not fully recovered from his injury Jones is getting 15 touches.

 

I wish you the best of luck.  I promise I wont come back and tell you "I told you so" when Rodgers has 45+ pass attempts for well over 300 yards and Jones is really not even a big part of the game plan.

Edited by JaNelson38
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, but I don't know how you can say that when he was a factor last week off the bench against a stout run D. It makes no sense. I have no doubt Rodgers will sling it but if TyMont is out and Williams is limited Jones probably has 10-15 carries against a defense that can't stop anyone. If he has the backfield to himself he will be involved; it remains to be seen if they trust him as a receiver but they obviously trust him as a runner.

 

There are plenty of RB touches up for grabs for fantasy production without TyMont and not all RBs need 20+ touches to be good. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to see Jones as any more than a sleeper.  The only good scenario for Jones is a setback for Ty.  While ribs can be difficult to deal with, I don't believe they impact for long-term.  Plus Williams has now practiced in full twice.  Seems Jones is little better than any talented handcuff.

Edited by thefamily79
Link to post
Share on other sites

dunno, man ... but it does make one take alotta notice when ARod and McCarthy come out praising this kid after last week's effort.

 

i stashed him in one league, sorry i missed him in my others (he was ww scooped below me) - where there's smoke there's usually fire - now, i dig me some TyMont, kid is, without question, the cat to have in that backfield ... but, there IS question now.  this magick foosball gig is one fickle and fast moving mutha ... i'd rather be out ahead rather than wishin' and a hopin' and a prayin' on next week's  waiver run (for those in leagues where Jonesy is still a dangling FA).

 

we all grasp the nuances of the Rodgers era GB offense - yes, it all funnels through him, and rightfully so.  and i do agree about this week's game being a low volume rushing/rb usage affair, even more so considering that Dallas will most likely go on very long ball control drives (as is their wont), and a slinger like ARod gonna be itching on that sideline just waiting to get back on the field - and, when he does, he's gonna attack that Dallas D and it's weakness - with those WRs at his disposal, it's really a no-brainer.  i would be surprised if the RBs get over 18 touches combined.

 

hey, he's a dart throw, and a leap of blind faith - that's what the ww game is all about.   i'm content to sit back and watch this unfold, kid is my rb6, nothing to lose, and a sheeeetload to gain if we hit.

 

gl to you all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jamaal Williams good to go, Ty likely out. Any Packers fan chime in on the CS preferences? Do they go purely on Depth Chart (which would mean Jamaal would start and possibly share time with Aaron Jones) or performance based (which would help Aaron Jones owners)?

 

My feeling is this is a timeshare and a coin flip. Since this was mainly a short deal anyway while Ty is out for maybe 2 weeks, both backs (Jamaal and Aaron) may not be usable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...