NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

I'll say this. I would expect Green Bay to keep Ty out of next week's game. If Jones doesn't play well, he's not starting. If he does this again, Green Bay really should give Jones at least half the carries. I love Ty but Jones is a legit talent. I doubt they play too many snaps together but it would work. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, kco734 said:

I have shares in Williams he’s clearly an afterthought. Montgomery owners have to be worried. Looks like a RBBC going forward capping Jones and Montgomery value

No Jones probably won't have another game like this the rest of the season but he may have a few more opportunities since now there is no need to rush Montgomery back. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out once Montgomery gets back. Jones is clearly the better runner while Montgomery is the better receiver (although Jones showed he has soft hands reinforcing his solid receiving numbers in college). It likely will be  gameflow type scenario that will be frustrating for owners but for a WW pickup ill take it. I'd assume Jones would get GL so that is enough for him to maintain RB3/flex value. 

On 10/5/2017 at 5:08 PM, JaNelson38 said:

I wish you the best of luck.  I promise I wont come back and tell you "I told you so" when Rodgers has 45+ pass attempts for well over 300 yards and Jones is really not even a big part of the game plan.

you can come back to admit you were completely wrong 

10 hours ago, Sonny_D said:

McCarthy? Rodgers? Prepare for 8 for 29 yards with JWilliams getting the majority of snaps. Oh, and a FB vulture TD. 

No thanks. 

Boy, this guy really nailed it. 

If Jones can replicate today's performance to a certain capacity it would be perfect logic for GB to regulate Montgomery to a more traditional 3rd down role to keep him healthy.. Montgomery is plenty talented however it makes sense for GB to keep his touch count down like they did last season, capping both his and Jones' hypothetical ceiling. 

6 minutes ago, ShowStopper said:

Ty Mont ain't going nowhere when he gets healthy though. He's a beast. But in the mean time Aaron Jones is a solid start 

Beast? He barely got 800 all purpose yards last year, is currently averaging 3.3 YPC with multiple broken ribs. Ty Mont has had ONE game better than today's Aaron Jones game in his career.

Meanwhile Aaron Jones is a leaner stronger Eddie Lacy. I know who I will be putting my money on ROS

TY has cracked ribs and durability issues. I feel like the Packers are going to make sure he's 100% healthy before letting these two backs split carries. Keeps them fresh longer. Now if TY were to get hurt again this is Jones backfield to keep.

The best thing going for TY owners is that he gets healthy. I’m sure he will be out until the bye week. He never was going to play in this game, it was an act

also, jordy got dinged up. Heck, is jones does well and Green Bay keeps having injuries, you might see TY get deployed as a receiver again. First time in history to have 2 designations on back to back years???

oh wait, forget it. It’s not happening. Rodgers loves TY and has been praising jones since he came on. It will be interesting to hear what Aaron has to say about him postgame. 

FWIW- Ty’s value will decrease a tad but it won’t be full out committee once he gets healthy. Probably 65-35 TY

11 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Beast? He barely got 800 all purpose yards last year, is currently averaging 3.3 YPC with multiple broken ribs. Ty Mont has had ONE game better than today's Aaron Jones game in his career.

Meanwhile Aaron Jones is a leaner stronger Eddie Lacy. I know who I will be putting my money on ROS

He wasn't used for a significant portion of last year. YPC is irrelevant. Always. Here? The Packers have had 4 injured offensive tackles all season. 4! They got one of the best tackles in the league back this week and it showed.

I like Jones, but argue better. 

14 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

A leaner stronger Lacy?

not sure I see that. 

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

He wasn't used for a significant portion of last year. YPC is irrelevant. Always. Here? The Packers have had 4 injured offensive tackles all season. 4! They got one of the best tackles in the league back this week and it showed.

I like Jones, but argue better. 

Yeah I'll make sure to deliver rock solid arguments like YPC is irrelevant... always...

Hands down Jones is the better running back between tackles. The Packers aren't blind. Montgomery's value was that he was playing 90% of the snaps. That will no longer happen. Yes the Packers throw the ball a ton so Montgomery will be on the field but I'm pretty sure Jones may have just taken the first few steps of stealing this job. This is the most impressive running back performance I've seen in green day since the Ahman Green days.

Edited by montgrove
1 minute ago, montgrove said:

Hands down Jones is the better running back between tackles. The Packers aren't blind. Montgomery's value was that he was playing 90% of the snaps. That will no longer happen. Yes the Packers throw the ball of time so Montgomery will be on the field but I'm pretty sure Jones may have just taken the first few steps of stealing this job. This is the most impressive running back performance I've seen in green day since the Ahman Green days.

Indeed.  And he did it with a patchwork line.  The Cowboys didn’t have Lee however so that could of been a factor.    When Bakhtiari is back and he does this against the Vikings defense, which he will, there will be no taking him off the field. 

Even if Jones blows up against the Vikings next week, Montgomery will still play a factor. I'd bet anything that Montgomery will insist on playing against the Vikings after watching Jones do this. Montgomery will play a lot on passing Downs. So things will not just be the "All Jones Show".

38 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

He led all RBs in elusive rating last season iirc. He was great last year.