NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

Jones was great. Not taking away from that. This was against a Cowboys D that has been destroyed by RBs and was without their best run defender. I definitely think Jones has earned some playing time even with TyMo back but proclaiming him a league winner and unquestioned starter is premature.

Edited by CrastersCreep
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, montgrove said:

Even if Jones blows up against the Vikings next week, Montgomery will still play a factor. I'd bet anything that Montgomery will insist on playing against the Vikings after watching Jones do this. Montgomery will play a lot on passing Downs. So things will not just be the "All Jones Show".

Montgomery can insist all he wants but it’s not his decision.  Knowing that they have a guy in Jones that’s trustworthy, and a bye the following week I think the chances of Montgomery suiting up next week pretty damn slim. 

I still have a hard time believing TyMont will be phased out when he comes back, his snap % was the highest among RBs in the entire league.  Either TyMont gets the job back to himself in its entirety or Jones forces a RBBC.  

Montgomery is actually bigger than Jones so I'm not sure why people are portraying Jones as the bruiser and TyMont as the 3rd down back.

1 minute ago, Chwf3rd said:

I still have a hard time believing TyMont will be phased out when he comes back, his snap % was the highest among RBs in the entire league.  Either TyMont gets the job back to himself in its entirety or Jones forces a RBBC.  

Montgomery is actually bigger than Jones so I'm not sure why people are portraying Jones as the bruiser and TyMont as the 3rd down back.

Good point. Jones is 5'9" and 208 pounds. 

1 minute ago, Chwf3rd said:

You didn't hear?! He's a stronger leaner Eddie Lacy 

1 minute ago, CrastersCreep said:

You didn't hear?! He's a stronger leaner Eddie Lacy 

Hope you can enjoy a few margaritas with that salt, I always feel better after a hard drink when I lose one of my studs

2 minutes ago, Chwf3rd said:

Do you think the Packers wanted Montgomery to have the highest snap percentage in the league? Or was it out of necessity?

1 minute ago, montgrove said:

Do you think the Packers wanted Montgomery to have the highest snap percentage in the league? Or was it out of necessity?

I mean it shows at the very least that they like what TyMont gives them.  Plus, they saw Aaron Jones all training camp and still decided to not factor him into the offense a lot.

If Jones goes on a Kareem Hunt like run these next few games while TyMont is out, then it'll be hard to reduce his role.  I still think the best outcome for him long term is likely turning the backfield into a RBBC.

If he can do it next week against the Vikings I will feel much more confident he carves himself a role. 

With that said. He could definitely work his way into a first and second down role.  He's the only packers rb that has looked consistently good(albeit only over a game and half). Ty Montgomery isn't very good as a runner which is fine since he is a converted WR. 

If jones continues to play like this and forms a rbbc with ty as the pass catching back they would both have tremendous value.  

Montgomery would still be the field a ton with how much the packers through and jones can give the packers a run dimension they have been missing. 

I'm feeling sick that I traded Aaron Jones for Rob Kelley last week, thinking he'd only play a week or two max. He looked quick and shifty, running downhill. I think Jones owners will definitely get a couple good weeks out of him AT LEAST. Best case, he could be an every-week RB2 going forward, if not more.

2 minutes ago, gimme the ball said:

I'm feeling sick that I traded Aaron Jones for Rob Kelley last week, thinking he'd only play a week or two max. He looked quick and shifty, running downhill. I think Jones owners will definitely get a couple good weeks out of him AT LEAST. Best case, he could be an every-week RB2 going forward, if not more.

Yeah, this may be a timeshare at the very least. I also feel sick trading him for Martavis a few days ago.

Couldn't ask for more from what we saw today, with both his usage and his play. Choo choo.

4 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

If he can do it next week against the Vikings I will feel much more confident he carves himself a role. 

This is why I drafted Eddy Lacy as a rookie in my 2-player keeper - why even the stoutest run defenses might have problems with this Jones - it's Aaron friggin Rodgers taking snaps. It opens up so much for a running back. And it doesn't hurt that the team has as many scoring opportunites as any team in the NFL.

Edited by Anteater99

Does anyone remember how often McCarthy uses RBBCs?

I own A Jones not T Monty and desperately need A Jones to blow up and be good but I feel like McCarthy usually goes with one guy when he can. Not sure and he hasn't had the greatest options. 

My worry is that when T Mont comes back he will be the guy. Unless Jones blows up vs the Vikes it seems like T Montis the starter because he's the veteran, has had plenty of his own big games and the Pack have said they would and did use him as a bellcow. 

45 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

Does anyone remember how often McCarthy uses RBBCs?

I own A Jones not T Monty and desperately need A Jones to blow up and be good but I feel like McCarthy usually goes with one guy when he can. Not sure and he hasn't had the greatest options. 

My worry is that when T Mont comes back he will be the guy. Unless Jones blows up vs the Vikes it seems like T Montis the starter because he's the veteran, has had plenty of his own big games and the Pack have said they would and did use him as a bellcow. 

IMO, he doesn't employ a RBBC when he doesn't have to.  Early in his career he had Ryan Grant who was their primary runner.  The year they won the SB in 2010, Grant got injured early in the season and McCarthy had to make due with what they had.  But during the playoffs and SB that year James Starks played well and he was their primary runner.  Then the RB position was bad until they drafted Lacy in 2013 and he had a couple of good years so he was their primary runner.  And then it got bad again when Lacy turned to you know what.  Now we are in Monty era but he can't stay healthy so who knows what is going to happen.  

On 10/5/2017 at 9:39 AM, dre said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sure who the better RB is right now between Williams and Jones.  I don't have the luxury of watching them practice for hours each day like the GB coaching staff does.  I just don't see that Jones has much, if any, fantasy value right now.  I picked him up but dropped him when I saw that Williams and Ty were practicing.  

Also, I'm here to eat a little bit of crow.  Looks like I was completely wrong on Jones.  He looked really good out there yesterday.  Good thing I dropped him and picked up Alex Collins instead........

Image result for what have i done

Ty Montgomery might be bigger at 6'1 220, but Aaron Jones is stouter at 5'9 208.  Another good thing about Jones..he is a running back.

Really sad I missed out on Jones.  Reports on Montgomery's health were all over the place, and Jamal Williams was supposedly going to play snaps, too.

All that is out the window, now.  If Aaron Jones keeps producing and staying healthy and the Packers keep winning, I don't know how McCarthy could go back to Montgomery as a primary player.