NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

munde53

2 hours ago, FreakFries said:

My worry is that when T Mont comes back he will be the guy. Unless Jones blows up vs the Vikes it seems like T Montis the starter because he's the veteran, has had plenty of his own big games and the Pack have said they would and did use him as a bellcow. 

I disagree with this.  If you look back to his game logs last year he really has never done too much as a runner.  Most of his damage comes as a receiver out of the backfield.  He had 1 good game running where he went 16 for 162 but everything else i meh at best.  This isn't mean to talk ish about him, he converted to a brand new position at the highest level of football  in the middle of a season and he was damn good but his value for fantasy owners and for the packers lies in his ability to catch out of the backfield.

IF Jones is the real deal they would be very wise to let Jones handle the early down work and have Montgomery as a pass catcher.  This would open up both dimensions of the position at a quality level and both runners would have stand alone value.  Montgomery would figure to still be on the field a ton. 

Edit: It would also figure to reduce the risk of injury to Montgomery as he is getting the ball in space and not running into 800 pounds of lineman. 

Edited by GottaGetTheWin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I disagree with this.  If you look back to his game logs last year he really has never done too much as a runner.  Most of his damage comes as a receiver out of the backfield.  He had 1 good game running where he went 16 for 162 but everything else i meh at best.  This isn't mean to talk ish about him, he converted to a brand new position at the highest level of football  in the middle of a season and he was damn good but his value for fantasy owners and for the packers lies in his ability to catch out of the backfield.

IF Jones is the real deal they would be very wise to let Jones handle the early down work and have Montgomery as a pass catcher.  This would open up both dimensions of the position at a quality level and both runners would have stand alone value.  Montgomery would figure to still be on the field a ton. 

This gives me hope for AJ. An RBBC the way you describe it makes sense. However, this gets back to whether McCarthy uses RBBCs. I haven't been able to watch a ton of Pack games over the years but I feel like from what I have read/remember, he prefers one guy. Dre had some convincing points in his post that supports the possibility McC likes one guy over a group. It seems like a lot is riding on next week's game vs the Vikes and could be the turning point.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Sorry Monty owners who did not get Aaron Jones.  You bet on the wrong horse.  Just drop your losing ticket on the concourse and move along...

If Jones keeps playing like this all the talk about RBBC is just wishful thinking. Now Monty is the cuff #hothand

FD: not an owner, just saw the game. 

Edited by pikerbkb

Do you know when Green Bay is in passing mode?  That would be all of the time.  Aaron Jones has shown in two games that 1) he can function well in this offense and  2) Jones can take a hit or two and not be out for the next 2-4 weeks.

Why would Green Bay suddenly change and start using a different back for "passing situations?"  Other teams do that (stupidly imo), not Green Bay.

3 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Do you know when Green Bay is in passing mode?  That would be all of the time.  Aaron Jones has shown in two games that 1) he can function well in this offense and  2) Jones can take a hit or two and not be out for the next 2-4 weeks.

Why would Green Bay suddenly change and start using a different back for "passing situations?"  Other teams do that (stupidly imo), not Green Bay.

Why would they completely ground Montgomery when he is healthy when he has performed very admirably out of the backfield.   He's probably the best pass catching back in the league because he is a WR. 

11 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

How so?  Montgomery will be the pass catching back.  It wouldnt be a true RBBC  it would be split duties.

I mean RBBC in the truest sense of something close 50/50. Monty's production has been up and  down since he became a thing. All I'm saying is McCarthy is going to keep involving Monty, but Jones just flashed big time. Maybe it was just playing against the Cowboys D. Time will tell. But McCarthy is going to let this situation play out. But if Jones shows well against the Vikings and the Packers win? It's going to be hard to get Jones off the field barring injury or cop. jmho

Edited by pikerbkb

Absolute Beast.... he was easily the best Rb on the field yesterday. That catch he made also showed off his receiving skills. It's very refreshing to see a durable GB Rb for a change. A rare 3 down pass catching back. GB drafted so many rbs for a reason, they don't trust Ty and rightfully so because he can't stay on the field. There's a large role for Ty on offense but not as a 3 down Rb.... he just can't handle the load.

Green Bay likes to rotate their backs by series. The want to run their up-tempo/muddle huddle/no huddle offense and to do so they need their RB's to be able to function as 3-down backs. Jones has looked fantastic so far, and looks like a better pure runner than Montgomery, but this is going to end up being a full blown committee I think. Neither guy is big enough to handle a full load by themselves, and I expect McCarthy to rotate these two through by the series, keeping them both fresh and effective all game/season long.

I don't own either; just a loyal GB fan offering his perspective.

2 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Green Bay likes to rotate their backs by series. The want to run their up-tempo/muddle huddle/no huddle offense and to do so they need their RB's to be able to function as 3-down backs. Jones has looked fantastic so far, and looks like a better pure runner than Montgomery, but this is going to end up being a full blown committee I think. Neither guy is big enough to handle a full load by themselves, and I expect McCarthy to rotate these two through by the series, keeping them both fresh and effective all game/season long.

Good perspective but it hasn't been supported at all this season. Ty was an every down back and Jones played all snaps besides a few because Williams gave him a spell. Coaches actions supports gb using one back as their bellcow because even when other backs are present,and available  they are not used.

On 10/5/2017 at 4:08 PM, JaNelson38 said:

I wish you the best of luck.  I promise I wont come back and tell you "I told you so" when Rodgers has 45+ pass attempts for well over 300 yards and Jones is really not even a big part of the game plan.

You were saying? Hate to be that guy... but told ya so :P

Montgomery plays a lot like Riddick, Wr playing RB.  He's never looked as good as Jones did yesterday.  That said I can see both splitting carries when Mont is back, with an edge down the stretch to Jones who is more explosive.

1 minute ago, rbug8 said:

Good perspective but it hasn't been supported at all this season. Ty was an every down back and Jones played all snaps besides a few because Williams gave him a spell. Coaches actions supports gb using one back as their bellcow because even when other backs are present,and available  they are not used.

Jones and Williams are still grasping the playbook. That was stated during the game yesterday and alluded to earlier this week in interviews with Rodgers and McCarthy. Montgomery going down meant the training wheels had to be broken off. They kept in simple for Jones this week by cutting the playbook down (which I think is a great thing for the offense as a whole as McCarthy's playbook is too thick and often times I think too complicated, which leads to ruts, like the one GB was in for a year or so, but that's for a different thread/discussion) but Rodgers has stated he doesn't like that. You can go back and look at the past few years with the Lacy/Starks combo. Lacy would get a series, sometimes two, for every Starks series. Jones is the better pure runner, Montgomery knows more of the playbook. They both offer the same skill set. It will end up being a pretty equal timeshare.

12 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Aaron Jones played two full college seasons with over 272 touches and 257 touches respectively. He accounted for almost 50% of UTEPs offensive output in those seasons the man can handle a full workload...

Again, he is probably this year's Jordan Howard. We'll see how it pans out against a better defense (MIN) next week, but they can definitely be run on as Ameer Abdullah put up almost 100 yards against them. I'm not ready to crown him just yet but he looked very good running the ball although I don't think they are quite ready to trust him as a receiver. There were a few times that he was wide open on Sunday and Rodgers went a different direction. The one catch he DID have though was ridiculous and I think garnered a lot of trust going forward. Guy has skills for sure.

Just now, Dirtywater97 said:

Aaron Jones played two full college seasons with over 272 touches and 257 touches respectively. He accounted for almost 50% of UTEPs offensive output in those seasons the man can handle a full workload...

Against competition where 99% of the players he faced will be taking up careers in fields that aren't football, for one reason or another. Bigger, faster, stronger. Professionals. College carries mean nothing in regards to professional carries.

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

Against competition where 99% of the players he faced will be taking up careers in fields that aren't football, for one reason or another. Bigger, faster, stronger. Professionals. College carries mean nothing in regards to professional carries.

You can analyze the data however you want, and make your own conclusions. However, I don't see it that way. You think Ty Mont would come out scott free in the same situation in college? I don't think so.

7 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

That's a bad argument. There are plenty of good RBs that come from schools like UTEP... look at Kareem Hunt just this year as an example. Matt Forte went to Tulane and he is one of the best in recent memory. The important thing is that he was tearing it up no matter who they played. 

E: David Johnson went to NIU... another good example.

Edited by RoboFroogs

There are people who like to complicate things. It's time to forget about Monty, because he wont get his job back if Jones is healthy.  I ll simplify things here:

1) Jones can handle a full workload

2) Jones is the best back in Green Bay and will be there for a long time

3) Jones can catch. In fact, he has great hands.

4) Jones is a perfect back for Packers system of play

The question is - how competent is Packers staff if they couldnt recognize Jones as the perfect fit for them?