NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, ponchsox said:

Williams might still be in the picture if his injury isn't serious and the Packers will throw more.

He's dealing with a knee injury and was ruled out at halftime. While it might no be a tear it'll more than likely cost him a game or two. If Jones shows well he could take over as the #2 guy behind Ty. Basically you're looking at a guy who could be the starting workhorse RB for one of the best offenses in the league until Ty or Williams comes back. He's worth an add by just about every team in every league at this point. 

Obviously there's a chance he becomes the man and becomes productive, but with 10 days to recover I don't like the odds of both injured RBs not playing.  I guess you're banking on the Ty injury being serious and Williams not getting much of the work?  I don't see much excitement here personally.  The Packers is an offense you'd like to have a piece of, but Montgomery is good at what he does and it won't be as simple as plug and play to replace that production, especially with a rookie (I admittedly don't know much about Jones, and this is probably the wrong year to downplay the potential of a rookie RB).

Williams isn't a concern IMO, he's underperformed nearly every chance he's had. Seems likely that Jones gets a couple weeks as the starter and then will be the #2 guy behind Montgomery, who hasn't proven to be the most durable guy. Seems like a no brainer add if you have the space.

T TO RELEVANCE! HUZZAH!

N

E

C

S

THE   A

He'll get some chances but all this means is Rodgers is gonna throw even more.

@ DAL

@ MIN

NO

Don't think any of those are gonna be particularly great for Jones. ARod's gonna be airing it out non stop. 

My favourite thing about FAAB. People will go crazy for anything. 

Edited by 10giz
1 minute ago, 10giz said:

@ DAL

@ MIN

NO

Don't think any of those are gonna be particularly great for Jones. ARod's gonna be airing it out non stop. 

The dude can catch like a mofo,

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/aaron-jones/

85th in dominator AND 89th in target share? He's a perfect Ty replacement.

43 minutes ago, 10giz said:

@ DAL

@ MIN

NO

Monthomery won't be out for long. Not worth a claim imo.

46 minutes ago, 10giz said:

@ DAL

@ MIN

NO

I’ve been on this kid since the beginning of camp.  I honestly don’t think he gives up the position and with a long week I see him getting a bit more acclimated.  Dallas can be ran on, as can Minnesota.  If he’s starting I wouldn’t be afraid to play him.  Also, he’s great out of the backfield and I’m pretty sure the Packers didn’t show that because they had a comfortable lead.  

On 9/9/2017 at 4:56 PM, LuckyLukas said:

Agree. I watched a lot of tape on Jones and there is sth in the back of my head that tells me he is gonna boom at some point this season...Simply love this guy and his game and Im not a fan of TY as RB. He is the guy to own, not Williams

Great eye

39 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

I’ve been on this kid since the beginning of camp.  I honestly don’t think he gives up the position and with a long week I see him getting a bit more acclimated.  Dallas can be ran on, as can Minnesota.  If he’s starting I wouldn’t be afraid to play him.  Also, he’s great out of the backfield and I’m pretty sure the Packers didn’t show that because they had a comfortable lead.  

It's definitely possible. I liked what I saw out of him.

Listen, if he can be had for a reasonable price, I'm all for getting him. That won't be the case though.  If it was any other team, I'd support it, but not GB. Not with Rodgers. He could have any RB in the league and he'll still keep slinging it.

Nearly every game remaining is against team that can score points.(Aside from Chicago, Baltimore and Cleveland) and I don't see the Packers having heavy RB usage in games where they need to put up points. They're at their best when Rodgers is throwing it.

Just my two cents though. He can be as good as any RB in the league, but the reason Montgomery was doing so well was because of the receptions. Montgomery is literally a WR. Jones is not. 

Edited by 10giz
1 hour ago, CooL said:

There definitely is a Yahoo option of "lock player when game starts", and not just lock all players on Thursday thus it allowing pickups before Sunday game.  It really is the most fair option. Being able to pick up players during a game? That's fine, but no real competitive league should be like that.

I don't see why a competitive league can't reward good FAAB strategy AND decisive action.

I'm sure my leaguemates were watching the game and considered adding Jones.  But I was the fastest one to weigh my options and pull the trigger. 

What's anti-competitive about that?

Plenty of RBs have played and played well with broken ribs. Montgomry could be back next week for all we know. Though I doubt it. I think at best we're looking at 3-4 weeks of lead back work for this guy. If you need a spot starter, he's a great grab, I wouldnt waste a ton of faab or a high waiver on him though. We've seen the ideal back for green bay these last few weeks--and its an RB that is a WR. Montgomery.

9 minutes ago, ccimore said:

Not so sure about this.  Monty has sickle cell.  People with sickle cell trait generally heal slower than normal.

Plus he is always banged up, whos to say if this kid impresses they give reins back to Monty. I mean, he's had good fantasy numbers because of the offense but he hasnt been that impressive at all to me as a runner

13 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

Plus he is always banged up, whos to say if this kid impresses they give reins back to Monty. I mean, he's had good fantasy numbers because of the offense but he hasnt been that impressive at all to me as a runner

Jones wasnt impressive as a runner either. 49 yards on 13 carries (3.8 YPC) is nothing to write home about. Plus how do you know Ripowski and Williams dont steal goaline carries?

I think with Monty out this becomes a RBBC with Rodgers throwing more than usual. Rodgers loves to throw the ball and that's what made Monty so appealing this season. As a Monty owner Im dont feel like I will blow my faab dollars on Jones. 

If youre desperate for a RB than Jones is a decent flyer.

1 hour ago, iheartrubio said:

Jones would have to become Kareem Hunt for him to keep the job over Monty.

4 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Jones wasnt impressive as a runner either. 49 yards on 13 carries (3.8 YPC) is nothing to write home about. Plus how do you know Ripowski and Williams dont steal goaline carries?

I think with Monty out this becomes a RBBC with Rodgers throwing more than usual. Rodgers loves to throw the ball and that's what made Monty so appealing this season. As a Monty owner Im dont feel like I will blow my faab dollars on Jones. 

If youre desperate for a RB than Jones is a decent flyer.

I don't think it's about being desperate for a rb, it's more about tryin to catch lighting in a bottle before it happens. Sure it might not turn out to be much, but I've been on the other end of that type of thinking where I pass on a guy and then regret it when the following week he starts and puts up a 20 to 25 burger. It's a prominent offense, he looked great on that goal line run, anything could happen here.