NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

munde53

good game  but let's not act like this was a performance against the number rush D in the league.  DAL leaks like a sieve.  he has certainly earned himself a role for himself and won't be just a backup when  Monte gets back but this will be a timeshare and probably a week 2  week on which one ends up with more fantasy points.

Monte had a low ypc but he also went up against SEA and CIN, both better against the run and his oline is in shambles.  he was running over people against CHI before that fluke injury and if the reports are accurate, he ran all over CHI even after the injury till he couldn't anymore. 

but like always trade if you can get value, don't just dump him for the first offer

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I don't care how good anyone here thinks Jones is as a receiver, Montgomery is better...simple..period. stop.

100% agree...time to move Ty back to wr where he belongs...there's no longer a need to play cute with what Jones has shown on the field. Simple.

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

would you have been more impressed if he sucked vs Dallas?

guy did what he was asked to do - gash a soft run defense. 

case closed. 

Issue is no defense against Aaron Rodgers will be focused upon the rush regardless of if they are a good rush defense or not. Dude isn't Barry Sanders and he doesn't have to be to have value in this offense but if you watched the game I think its undeniable that the kid isn't some bum and has great vision with a little elusiveness to make guys miss. He is clearly a superior runner to TyMont and Packers were obviously looking for a natural runner which is why they drafted 3 RBs. I think they found their guy. TyMont is clearly the better receiver (although this guy showed above average hands with one great catch and has good receiving numbers in college) but Jones will definitely cut into his early down carries. At this point its pure speculation how things will shake out split wise but Jones only improved his stock with this performance and very few expected him to do this.

If this didn't surprise you I assume he is on your team and you started him this week. You should be happy that you have a guy who will minimally be a RB2 for as long as Montgomery stays out (no need to rush him back now) and could still hold value once he comes back. 

Edited by Jaw1

1 hour ago, owenmills said:

Uh oh....

Uh oh what?

Has it been stated Jones is going to get a 50/60/70/80/90/100% workload?

Uh oh... I still don't think so.

Furthermore... Anyone drafting Ty Mont as their RB1 has serious draft issues.

He's still a solid RB2 for me in PPR.

Edited by ponza88

18 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

You guys can stick your fingers in your ears all you want, but Jones isn't anywhere near locking this job up after destroying Dallas sans Lee. 

This is 100% true. I do think he earned himself some more playing time and a bigger role but I don't think he replaces Montgomery– that's fools gold because they want to keep him Montgomery involved and don't have a place to put him that gives him the amount of touches they want him to have.

The reason I snagged him was that I thought if Jones really OWNS (which he had a great game and a half thus far) perhaps he would become the lead back and maybe Ty would go back to his natural WR position. The problem with this is that they already have so many receiver weapons with Jordy, Adams, Cobb and they like having Bennett out there too so where does he go? They aren't going to run 4 WR sets and even if they did there isn't enough volume to keep Montgomery involved to the point that we know that they want him to be. He's proven to be someone that rewards GB when he gets his touches. For that reason I dropped him for roster construction reasons given my RB depth and liked D Martin as a better ROS option and Fuller to give me WR depth.

One of the things I could see happening is that GB goes with a lot of dual HB sets with 2/3 WR and a TE. I could see some shotgun formations with both Jones and Montgomery in the backfield and spread it out a little bit. Jones can deliver the hammer and Montgomery can come out of the backfield for bootlegs, rollouts, etc. and still run the ball. I think this is the most likely scenario.

18 minutes ago, kjansick said:

This is 100% true. I do think he earned himself some more playing time and a bigger role but I don't think he replaces Montgomery– that's fools gold because they want to keep him Montgomery involved and don't have a place to put him that gives him the amount of touches they want him to have.

The reason I snagged him was that I thought if Jones really OWNS (which he had a great game and a half thus far) perhaps he would become the lead back and maybe Ty would go back to his natural WR position. The problem with this is that they already have so many receiver weapons with Jordy, Adams, Cobb and they like having Bennett out there too so where does he go? They aren't going to run 4 WR sets and even if they did there isn't enough volume to keep Montgomery involved to the point that we know that they want him to be. He's proven to be someone that rewards GB when he gets his touches. For that reason I dropped him for roster construction reasons given my RB depth and liked D Martin as a better ROS option and Fuller to give me WR depth.

One of the things I could see happening is that GB goes with a lot of dual HB sets with 2/3 WR and a TE. I could see some shotgun formations with both Jones and Montgomery in the backfield and spread it out a little bit. Jones can deliver the hammer and Montgomery can come out of the backfield for bootlegs, rollouts, etc. and still run the ball. I think this is the most likely scenario.

That would certainly be interesting to see but would go completely against what GB has established over McCarthys tenure. Short of a standard  lead blocker I-formation GB typically runs 3 WR sets as it is (I'm fairly certain they're amongst the league leaders in this formation). 

In the past they've experimented with Cobb in the backfield as well which means that there is at least some possibility of Montgomery and Jones both being in at RB but I would definitely not go as far as saying this is the most likely outcome. 

4 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Can someone name me another back who has gotten 125 yards and then faded back into irrelevance?

Bryce Brown maybe? I'm sure I'm missing a few

Jonas Gray - 201 yards rushing, SI cover, cut a week or two later, never heard from again.

10 hours ago, Panthor said:

good game  but let's not act like this was a performance against the number rush D in the league.  DAL leaks like a sieve.  he has certainly earned himself a role for himself and won't be just a backup when  Monte gets back but this will be a timeshare and probably a week 2  week on which one ends up with more fantasy points.

Monte had a low ypc but he also went up against SEA and CIN, both better against the run and his oline is in shambles.  he was running over people against CHI before that fluke injury and if the reports are accurate, he ran all over CHI even after the injury till he couldn't anymore. 

but like always trade if you can get value, don't just dump him for the first offer

This guy has the right idea! 

Very interested in seeing how he does against Minnesota. 

Green Bay new offensive line played against Dallas. This week will shine more light. But either way I belive this will be a time share similar to what the bears have had going. 

9 hours ago, iheartrubio said:

I have no idea why people are debating on Ty/Jones touches when we all know that Montgomery can’t stay healthy.   He’s the John Brown of running backs.   When healthy, I see a lot of two back sets with Rodgers motioning on into the slot or even both in the slot. 

The reason Ty became their RB is because Lacy became horrible. Ty was their only option. They have other, possibly better options now. If one of their WR's gets hurt (what is this about JOrdy might be hurt?) you gotta think he goes back to WR

7 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

The reason Ty became their RB is because Lacy became horrible. Ty was their only option. They have other, possibly better options now. If one of their WR's gets hurt (what is this about JOrdy might be hurt?) you gotta think he goes back to WR

I don't think that at all.  

This like baseball where a guy can switch from second to third mid season or basketball where a player may play some games as the 4 and some as the 5. 

It is incredibly hard to move positions full time mid season in the NFL. Especially when you have only trained for one.   

He would be a WR out of the backfield if anything which is just a pass catching back 

33 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

I like how you cut my quote off there. Read the next sentence I wrote.

They have other, possibly better options now. 

But I guess that doesn't fit your narrative, so....

That part is wrong and doesn't fit any narrative. I like Jones but it's been one game, rofl. 

3 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

That part is wrong and doesn't fit any narrative. I like Jones but it's been one game, rofl. 

So you don't think aaron jones is a "possibly better" rb than Ty?

Really?

Did you watch the game?

Someone remind me what Ty's YPC is

So you're writing off Jones then? It's Ty's backfield? I'll be looking for the announcement from McCarthy this week that it's Ty's backfield when he comes back from injury