NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, CrastersCreep said:

Most people thought he'd have a good game

Yeah you go ahead and read the posts from a week back and up until the start of the game on Sunday and show me this. Cause it ain't true. 

Then go look at "expert" rankings. He was listed almost everywhere in the mid 20s or worse. 

Here’s the deal. 

Jones has earned himself carries at the expense of Williams when Ty comes back. 

If if anyone in this thread believes that GB is going to completely abandon their offensive philosophy they’ve implemented over the entire offseason because of what Aaron Jones has shown them over the course of 6 quarters then I have nothing to say. 

Because I don’t make it a habit to engage in discussion with crazy people. 

If Aaron Jones were that damn good I think MM and fit what the Packers wanted to do on offense then he would’ve been the guy, or at tleast the #2 from day one. It took Ty and Williams going down to give Jones a chance. 

And to to the guy earlier who didn’t see the same tape as me, Jones wasn’t touched on most of those runs until he was well past the LOS. 

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/aaron-jones-emerges-in-victory-for-green-bay

Aaron Jones emerges in victory for Green Bay

By Sam Monson • Green Bay Packers Aaron Jones • Oct 9, 2017

• With Green Bay Packers RB Ty Montgomery missing the game against the Dallas Cowboys this week due to broken ribs, a lot fell on the shoulders of rookie Aaron Jones, and he responded with authority, racking up 125 rushing yards and an overall PFF grade of 86.4 in Green Bay’s come from behind victory.
  • Jones broke five tackles over the course of the game, averaging 2.84 yards after contact and posting an impressive elusive rating of 71.1, at times rattling off big gains just when the Packers needed them.
  • Jones was kept in to pass block eight times, and didn’t allow any pressure, and was so impressive that he played 53 snaps, 88.3 percent of a possible 60. The only other half back to see playing time was Jamaal Williams, who was on the field for just two snaps.
  • Jones caught the only pass thrown his way for a nine-yard gain.

Jones-Game-Recap.jpg

59 minutes ago, billydough said:

If if anyone in this thread believes that GB is going to completely abandon their offensive philosophy they’ve implemented over the entire offseason because of what Aaron Jones has shown them over the course of 6 quarters then I have nothing to say. 

How do you equate handing the ball to a different, *potentially* more effective running back, to "abandoning their offensive philosophy"?

Does Ty do something vitally important in their offense that aaron jones can't do?

No?

Then how is using a different running back the same as abandoning their offensive philosophy? Does their offensive philosophy require an upright runner who is a converted WR getting 3.3 ypc?

The Packers are in the business of winning football games. Whatever they decide on how the timeshare breaks down, that's all that matters. 45/45/10, 60/35/5, all they care about is winning. Whoever they think gives them the best chance to win AKA whoever is the best running back. I'll invest my stock in Aaron Jones ROS

And the post above me from PFF. Jones broke FIVE tackles on Sunday. Five. Cue the posts about how Dallas is the worst tackling team in football. I love blaming Aaron Jones for having a great game against the Cowboys because the Cowboys run D isn't good enough. He should have waited for a tougher run D to have his breakout game. This thread is amazing.

Edited by Anteater99
11 hours ago, billydough said:

GB's offensive philosophy is everyone not named Aaron Rodgers is replaceable. 

If Ty is out until the bye and Jones keeps on posting 100 yard games and 5ypc do you really think Ty is the guy when he comes back? I will concede that if Jones flops against the Vikings it's anyone's guess but going into week 6 I really don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that Jones hasn't blown Ty out of the water on the field. 

Jones: 32 for 174 and 2 TDs over 1.5 games

Ty: 46 for 152 and 2 TDs over 3+ games

Again, receiving is a different story but it's not like Jones is a scrub in that department. Contrary to some people's beliefs in this thread, the Packers absolutely do not want Aaron Rodgers dropping back 50+ times a game if they can avoid it. 

All you Ty worshipers should head over to his thread, because it's dead, as opposed to whining over here.  This is just like what happened in the Carson thread with all the Rawls worshipers.

Nobody said Ty was going to disappear, only that he should be down graded going forward, something Macarthy alluded to before Jones even had a carry two weeks ago.

Now go use the Ty thread to feel better & prop up your egos.

4 minutes ago, billydough said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AWxE9FtvqwU

Dont know how to embed video. 

Ty looks very much like a RB to me. I’m sure none of the AJ brotherhood will bother watching it but whatever. 

I watched it and he looks bad running the ball. A better RB would have made a lot more of his touches on the ground. What has always stood out to me with him is when he has the ball in space he's very good. But as a runner he is mediocre. 

If GB was smart they would assign him the Tevin Coleman role: 5-10 total touches a game including receptions. Give Jones the Freeman role. 

Except Ty is not explosive like Coleman either.  What Ty has going is knowledge of the playbook, and Rogers familiarity with him.

I see Ty getting more than 5-10 touches, even later in the season when the posibility of AJ getting more than 50% of the touches is more likely.

Edited by Red Dog
18 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

Except Ty is not explosive like Coleman either.  What Ty has going is knowledge of the playbook, and Rogers familiarity with him.

He's like a better Theo Riddick IMO.

My main take away from watching his tape is how slow he is out of the gate... he was on turf and he still looked slow. Meanwhile Jones looks like he was shot out of a cannon. Also Ty has poor vision. Rewatching the video there were several plays that could have gone for potentially long gains and he's getting stopped at or behind the LOS. 

And honestly, are we really touting ATL as an elite run defense? They are averaging 93 yards/game vs the run... and they are the best run D the Packers have played so far. Seattle is 25th this year, which is worse than the Cowboys (20th). 

E: Yeah there will definitely be a split... but I think it'll be like 60/40 in favor of Jones if he keeps it up. Either way, having whoever the RB is in for 90% of the snaps is unsustainable ROS.

Edited by RoboFroogs
41 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

I watched it and he looks bad running the ball. A better RB would have made a lot more of his touches on the ground. What has always stood out to me with him is when he has the ball in space he's very good. But as a runner he is mediocre. 

If GB was smart they would assign him the Tevin Coleman role: 5-10 total touches a game including receptions. Give Jones the Freeman role. 

I did too and came to basically the same conclusion.  Ty doesn't plant and cut very fast, and his reading of the emerging holes isn't great.  He looks way more natural catching passes out of the backfield and beating coverage to the edge for big gains. 

Ty is a real receiving threat out of the backfield, I don't think he's going anywhere in an offense that throws as much as GB.  Timeshare time going forward.

20 minutes ago, hardway said:

Ty is a real receiving threat out of the backfield, I don't think he's going anywhere in an offense that throws as much as GB.  Timeshare time going forward.

He's not going anywhere, but he's not going to get the volume he has been getting either. Really he's better on limited touches anyway. I would guess 5ish carries and 5ish receptions when he comes back unless Jones faceplants before then. There's also always the chance that Jones shows he is actually an elite RB in the next couple of weeks too (long shot, but he could always pull a Kareem Hunt or Jordan Howard). At this point though I would bet Jones is at least the early downs/clock killing back and Ty would be third downs/hurry up ROS.

1 minute ago, RoboFroogs said:

He's not going anywhere, but he's not going to get the volume he has been getting either. Really he's better on limited touches anyway. I would guess 5ish carries and 5ish receptions when he comes back unless Jones faceplants before then. There's also always the chance that Jones shows he is actually an elite RB in the next couple of weeks too (long shot, but he could always pull a Kareem Hunt or Jordan Howard). At this point though I would bet Jones is at least the early downs/clock killing back and Ty would be third downs/hurry up ROS.

Sounds probable.  That diving catch that Jones made on the sideline last week was impressive, he looks like he could have some receiving chops as well.

1 minute ago, hardway said:

he looks like he could have some receiving chops as well.

He absolutely does... check out his college tape. He was basically UTEP's entire offense. If you watch the Dallas game he could have had a bigger day receiving because he was open on a few plays (one for a possible TD); Rodgers just went elsewhere. It's also possible that they didn't quite trust him as a receiver until he made that ridiculous catch. He isn't as good as Ty, but he's still a really good receiver.

2 hours ago, billydough said:

Ty looks very much like a RB to me. I’m sure none of the AJ brotherhood will bother watching it but whatever. 

I'm confused. All I see is a back who didn't gain more than 6 yards on any carry and who spent most of the time getting between 2-4.  I also see a guy who is extremely ellusive out of the backfield as a receiver. 

This is basically showing what 85% of this thread has been saying for the last 3 days 

I think everyone needs to pump the breaks on announting him the early down back just yet.  If you read over the pages I am a big Jones supporter but he needs to back it up this week against the Vikings.

If he goes 18 for 80 and a TD then I would imagine as we go into the bye they will spend their time transitioning him into that roles.  

But if he goes 16 for 40 and a fumble there will be a lot of questions.  

This game will will be a very important game to judge how they move forward 

5 minutes ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I think everyone needs to pump the breaks on announting him the early down back just yet.  If you read over the pages I am a big Jones supporter but he needs to back it up this week against the Vikings.

If he goes 18 for 80 and a TD then I would imagine as we go into the bye they will spend their time transitioning him into that roles.  

Exactly, this forum tends to overreact with one game. Yes he looked like a great runningback. Vision looked great elusiveness was great also. But I definitely wait and see what happens in Minnesota. Excited to see the outcome. Good or bad. 

3 hours ago, billydough said:

15 hours ago, billydough said:

Seems like you do.

Step 3: Defend Ty's poor stats and running in that video on the same banged-up offensive line that Aaron Jones was running behind week 5.

1 hour ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I bet he averages over 4 ypc.  The Packers usually run well against the Vikings because they’re scared of Rodgers. 

43 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

I bet he averages over 4 ypc.  The Packers usually run well against the Vikings because they’re scared of Rodgers. 

Also the Vikings have not been impossible to run on this year; Abdullah put up almost 100 on them.

2 minutes ago, Brian Bosworth said:

Yuck..    this may force me to start AP or Stewart in place of Jones ...

Eh....I imagine they will limit Ty's usage his first game back.  Could also see GB getting ahead by multiple scores in this game and using Jones to run the clock in the 4th q....