NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

9 hours ago, Nap Time said:

Yup, that's the retarded article which pretends the Cowboys game was meaningful.

Team beat reporters often have more insight into the team, practice, and players.  The article really didn't state Jones would be taking over, only that it would be better for the team, and the author gave 1st down data to make his point.  I do believe Jones will continue to become more of a factor in the Packs backfield as the season progresses.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm benching him for Darkwa at flex.  I'm too worried with Rodgers out they lean on the veteran Montgomery.  As a Jones owner and a Packers fan I hope I'm wrong.  Id love to see Jones take over this backfield.  

Edited by lla887
14 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

Starting him over Montgomery this week. 

On 10/19/2017 at 5:18 PM, Flyman75 said:

My RB2.

10 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

Im gonna roll him out there. Wish I would have played Copper so I would feel better about my weekly tough RB2/Flex decision

Rain game against a dome team...GB will probably need to score 30pts to win...lots of screen plays from the flat and dump offs underneath...I think this game flow should set up better for Ty Monts usage / skill set. I own both with no axe to grind. Something to consider...Just sayin'.

10 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

Rain game against a dome team...GB will probably need to score 30pts to win...lots of screen plays from the flat and dump offs underneath...I think this game flow should set up better for Ty Monts usage / skill set. I own both with no axe to grind. Something to consider...Just sayin'.

Depending on field quality it could be a smash mouth running type game.  It really depends on how hard it’s raining. 

7 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

Depending on field quality it could be a smash mouth running type game.  It really depends on how hard it’s raining. 

Either way I'd probably give the advantage to Ty's playing style in this game in the expected conditions...he's a bigger back, runs with less of the slasher style that requires sure footing, catch and run ability, probably a little more trusted with ball security...etc

18 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

I think I'd roll with AJones over TY, when opportunity is equal I'll take the superior talent.

You may have missed my point...I'm saying the staff won't provide "equal opportunity" because the situation, the playing conditions and the opponent seem to favor Ty's game. I don't know...connecting the dots I can think of a multitude of reasons as to why Ty should see far more opportunity in this game and no reason why AJ should.

I like Jones alot but one good game to his credit against a terrible run defense that probably didn't scheme for him definitely does not make him superior when compared to Ty.

Remember, I own both players...This one just looks like easy arithmetic....no?

Just now, BrokeLoser said:

You may have missed my point...I'm saying the staff won't provide "equal opportunity" because the situation, the playing conditions and the opponent seem to favor Ty's game. I don't know...connecting the dots I can think of a multitude of reasons as to why Ty should see far more opportunity in this game and no reason why AJ should.

I like Jones alot but one good game to his credit against a terrible run defense that probably didn't scheme for him definitely does not make him superior when compared to Ty.

Remember, I own both players...This one just looks like easy arithmetic....no?

Idk, its close. But Ajones got more work last game and has looked better as a runner to me. Also, TY is a huge injury risk anytime he steps on the field, so I personally give the edge to AJones

10 hours ago, BrokeLoser said:

I would counter with GB running the ball more than usual to beat the Saints. Why rely on screen plays and dump offs when the Saints weakness on defense is against the run? If it's going to be a rain game, why not focus on the run game rather than trying to throw the ball? It could very easily be that game flow sets up better for Jones than Montgomery if they go that route. Something to consider. :) 

10 hours ago, BrokeLoser said:

Either way I'd probably give the advantage to Ty's playing style in this game in the expected conditions...he's a bigger back, runs with less of the slasher style that requires sure footing, catch and run ability, probably a little more trusted with ball security...etc

Montgomery is a WR playing RB. If they're going to go with the player they feel more comfortable with, I would posit they'd go with the guy who is a RB by trade, not out of necessity. 

27 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Montgomery is a WR playing RB. If they're going to go with the player they feel more comfortable with, I would posit they'd go with the guy who is a RB by trade, not out of necessity. 

Aaron is that you?

The coaching staff evaluated their running backs during camp and throughout preseason....these paid professionals witnessed thousands of touches first hand from within the trenches and they collectively chose a wide receiver to lead their backfield....that said, what would common football sense tell you? Does that say something about the "organic" running backs or Ty Mont?

Now, surely you aren't self manipulated enough to think that one game against a terrible run defense that probably didn't scheme for AJ would negate all that prior evaluation....right?

Edited by BrokeLoser
29 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

Aaron is that you?

The coaching staff evaluated their running backs during camp and throughout preseason....these paid professionals witnessed thousands of touches first hand from within the trenches and they collectively chose a wide receiver to lead their backfield....that said, what would common football sense tell you? Does that say something about the "organic" running backs or Ty Mont?

Now, surely you aren't self manipulated enough to think that one game against a terrible run defense that probably didn't scheme for AJ would negate all that prior evaluation....right?

he's a better RB

NO is most likely going to force the Packers to beat them in the air on the arm of Hundley vs on the ground, and NO's run defense has been very solid over the past 4 games.  So either RB should be facing a good amount of stacked boxes.  If that plays out then it would favor Ty's skillset moreso than Jones.  As an owner of both, i'm sitting them both this week (in favor of Garcon in my flex) to see how the workload pans out.  

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I don't buy this. Dude is a football player, he has the size and skill set to play both and has played both effectively at the NFL level. He is dangerous with the ball in his hands, it doesn't really matter how that happens especially since he was a slot receiver (which on most offenses gets short passes expected to go less than 10 yards in a fashion that is more of a substitute for the running game than a true pass mean't to stretch the field and get a big gain). In fact, he was a RB growing up through high school and began to shift toward WR since he was being recruited more strongly for that position. That obviously speaks to how coaches and football minds view him most valuable so it isn't insignificant. Packers obviously felt confident enough after what they saw that they let Starks and Lacy walk and didn't replace them with win-now talent in FA (if they didn't want him to be a RB they had ample opportunities to replace him and could've traded him or one of their other WRs to make room at WR so yes he was a RB out of necessity last year mid-season but he isn't this year). Additionally, it isn't a coincidence that Packers drafted 3 RB in the 2017 draft either. They felt confident enough to wait until the second day but got Williams in the 4th (he projected as a bruising type early down back who would complement Montgomery well) and Jones in the 5th (different style runner than Williams as a smaller, quicker guy) and Devante Mays in the 7th. It probably had to do a lot with making sure they had depth after Montgomery was their only RB but they obviously felt comfortable with Montgomery at least in the short term.

Things worked out ideally for the Packers since Montgomery got injured (he got injured last year too) and Jones was able to step in and impress. Jones definitely appeared the more natural runner but that isn't the only thing that matters for a RB especially in the Packers offense. Jones definitely carved out a role for himself in the backfield at the expense of Montgomery but its unclear how big a role that is. With Hundley now the QB it throws things into further uncertainty since its unclear how the Packers will adjust the offense to fit Hundley's strengths and mask his weaknesses. Jones seems the better runner (not to say Montgomery isn't a capable runner) which makes him better suited for early downs and Montgomery seems the better receiver (not to say Jones isn't a capable receiver) so one would assume their roles would roughly break upon those lines. I don't think either will be truly dominant over the backfield and their relative usage will likely be something subject to a combination of gameflow and match ups. AKA this backfield will likely be a bit of a headache for fantasy owners and it'll be tough for either Jones or TyMont to return consistent or maybe even predictable value. 

Edited by Jaw1
5 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

I don't buy this. Dude is a football player, he has the size and skill set to play both and has played both effectively at the NFL level. He is dangerous with the ball in his hands, it doesn't really matter how that happens especially since he was a slot receiver (which on most offenses gets short passes expected to go less than 10 yards in a fashion that is more of a substitute for the running game than a true pass mean't to stretch the field and get a big gain). In fact, he was a RB growing up through high school and began to shift toward WR since he was being recruited more strongly for that position. That obviously speaks to how coaches and football minds view him most valuable so it isn't insignificant. Packers obviously felt confident enough after what they saw that they let Starks and Lacy walk and didn't replace them with win-now talent in FA (if they didn't want him to be a RB they had ample opportunities to replace him and could've traded him or one of their other WRs to make room at WR so yes he was a RB out of necessity last year mid-season but he isn't this year). Additionally, it isn't a coincidence that Packers drafted 3 RB in the 2017 draft either. They felt confident enough to wait until the second day but got Williams in the 4th (he projected as a bruising type early down back who would complement Montgomery well) and Jones in the 5th (different style runner than Williams as a smaller, quicker guy) and Devante Mays in the 7th. It probably had to do a lot with making sure they had depth after Montgomery was their only RB but they obviously felt comfortable with Montgomery at least in the short term.

Things worked out ideally for the Packers since Montgomery got injured (he got injured last year too) and Jones was able to step in and impress. Jones definitely appeared the more natural runner but that isn't the only thing that matters for a RB especially in the Packers offense. Jones definitely carved out a role for himself in the backfield at the expense of Montgomery but its unclear how big a role that is. With Hundley now the QB it throws things into further uncertainty since its unclear how the Packers will adjust the offense to fit Hundley's strengths and mask his weaknesses. Jones seems the better runner (not to say Montgomery isn't a capable runner) which makes him better suited for early downs and Montgomery seems the better receiver (not to say Jones isn't a capable receiver) so one would assume their roles would roughly break upon those lines. I don't think either will be truly dominant over the backfield and their relative usage will likely be something subject to a combination of gameflow and match ups. AKA this backfield will likely be a bit of a headache for fantasy owners and it'll be tough for either Jones or TyMont to return consistent or maybe even predictable value. 

Some definitely valid points, but I just don't think Ty can stay healthy for long stretches making AJones the guy to own… I will also add I think Jones is considerably better runner, and Ty is only marginally better pass catching back…