NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Red Dog said:

I was thinking more along the lines he doesn't have a very good team to work with.  GBs oline and defense are below average, add an inexperienced QB and not many coaches would have faired better.

Rogers covered up a lot of those deficiencies.

This is the same team that was winning with Rodgers at the helm.  Yes, Rodgers covers up a lot of those deficiencies. But Hundley has been with the Packers for 3 years now.  He should know the offense and MM should know his strengths and weaknesses as a back up QB and create a game plan accordingly.  MM can't do that.  

usage was pretty will defined in this game.  jones was lead back to start game and jones (and the gb offense) didnt do much for the first half.  ty came in during 2 min drill and with det defense playing back, they predictably moved the ball better.  jones was in to start second half and again, jones and the gb offense didnt do much.  they then fell behind 3 scores and ty was pretty much in the rest of the game as gb was playing from behind and moved to no huddle.  i dont really see much changing moving forward.  at some point, mm has to let hundley air the ball out more even if it means throwing a pick otherwise gb will playing from behind a good amount and jones will be pretty useless.

2 hours ago, Panthor said:

no need for the overreaction it is just a committee will still be a viable flex play and rb2 for bye weeks. 

The offense is dog s--- dude. Hope he does well for your active roster but he's to the bench for me for now. Hope I am wrong but it seems like his opportunities will primarily come early in game. A limited window. Packers will almost always be trailing. He doesn't get goal line carries. Rotoworld called him an rb2 vs Chicago, i say good luck. Again hope i am wrong. Want him to be startable but I can't barring a game vs terrible team. And I am not convinced he is the guy anymore anyway, like he was 2/3 weeks, when he got like 90 % of touches. Unless he can block its more like 40 tops. Unless he can block its ty and Jamaal simple 

Edited by Anteater99

Vs Chicago I can see Jones being somewhat useful because the Bears have a rookie QB, but the Bears will also likely dominate the los, so Jones is a low upside flex for me who will do alright if he gets a TD, not so much if he doesn't.

2 hours ago, dre said:

This is the same team that was winning with Rodgers at the helm.  Yes, Rodgers covers up a lot of those deficiencies. But Hundley has been with the Packers for 3 years now.  He should know the offense and MM should know his strengths and weaknesses as a back up QB and create a game plan accordingly.  MM can't do that.  

From what I saw from Hundley is just Tom Savage with mobility. Doesnt matter how much he knows the offense if he's just bad. Plus the defense is trash and Bulaga is now gone for the year. Not that Im trying to defend MM but there's much coaching can really do at this point.

Probably not worth rostering Jones.

In my opinion, a rbbc in this offense makes Jones entirely unreliable in fantasy, especially in PPR leagues. Sad to say, but I'll be dropping him for a WW pickup in my shallow league. I'd trade for a guy like Isaiah Crowell if at all possible, or perhaps Doug Martin who has been bad lately but at least has more upside & consistency. 

Edited by Joelioli
1 hour ago, Anteater99 said:

The offense is dog s--- dude. Hope he does well for your active roster but he's to the bench for me for now. Hope I am wrong but it seems like his opportunities will primarily come early in game. A limited window. Packers will almost always be trailing. He doesn't get goal line carries. Rotoworld called him an rb2 vs Chicago, i say good luck. Again hope i am wrong. Want him to be startable but I can't barring a game vs terrible team. And I am not convinced he is the guy anymore anyway, like he was 2/3 weeks, when he got like 90 % of touches. Unless he can block its more like 40 tops. Unless he can block its ty and Jamaal simple 

I say he's still a hold... he was great against the Saints before the bye. That said Rodgers being gone definitely hurts everyone on the offense. Such a shame because I thought Jones had a lot of potential this season.

8 minutes ago, RoboFroogs said:

I say he's still a hold... he was great against the Saints before the bye. That said Rodgers being gone definitely hurts everyone on the offense. Such a shame because I thought Jones had a lot of potential this season.

Yes he is a hold. I am talking about not starting him. 

7 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

before the lions game the experts said aaron jones was the only player in this offense to have fantasy value.

we can officially take his name off the list...

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40008668-4

And the experts weren't wrong.  The game started to get away from the Packers and MM panicked when he didn't need to.  They could have still tried to establish the run but that didn't happen.

Ok, Ty coming in on 3rd down was pretty much common knowledge.  Nothing has changed regarding their usage.

2 hours ago, dre said:

And the experts weren't wrong.  The game started to get away from the Packers and MM panicked when he didn't need to.  They could have still tried to establish the run but that didn't happen.

Ok, Ty coming in on 3rd down was pretty much common knowledge.  Nothing has changed regarding their usage.

wasn't Ty also in the red zone packages? 

2 hours ago, dre said:

I wasn't implying the experts were wrong. It was common sense that no other packer was startable for the lions game. The point of my post was... Now jones has officially lost that designation. That's what I said. That's my opinion, I've been over this yesterday, some people think he is still startable, and in this offense i want nothing to do with him until he proves otherwise 

"it was common knowledge ty was going to be the third down back" is revisionist history. After aj's blowup in week 7, with ty getting almost no touches and far less than week 6, no.  What you had was a ton of people saying it was aj's backfield.  I don't mean just this thread. I mean the ty thread as well, where a ton of people said they cut him. I don't remember seeing one post after the week 7 game suggesting this was going to be an rbbc. Anywhere. 

And here's my point - it doesn't matter who gets how many touches. It doesn't matter if all those ty owners cut him. No one is startable in this offense. Hope im wrong, and if Hundley has even a passable game I'll be right here apologizing. As it stands the packers are less fantasy relevant than the 49ers because they have Hyde. They are as irrelevant as the Browns. Hope im proven wrong 

Rw blurb writer today called both aj and ty rb2/3's. Does anyone here think any packers rb is capable of a top 24 performance against the bears? What's a stronger word than optimism, other than delusion? 

3 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

If there is any game he is startable it is this week VS the Bears. They are not going to be running away with a lead considering their offense.

Bears D is good but it should be a close game. Its still hard to start him because you could see Monty or Williams get a goal line carry. 

Latest ESPN blurb says its RBBC but Jones is still in line for the early down work - basically the same setup as the Lions game so it seems like McCarthy hasn't let one game with a negative script affect his role - Montgomery was always going to re-emerge at some point.

The Lions game was a worst case scenario and this game should be closer so there's some opportunity for Jones to redeem himself albeit with Montgomery waiting to steal snaps if Jones doesn't impress early.

Part of me wants to just roll the dice with Drake but those two 100 yard games from Jones keep pulling me back in.

3 hours ago, mjb said:

Not sure how you can possibly play any Green Bay skill position player ROS.  You have to have a good QB, and Hundley has proven he's not it.

Skill position players attached to bad quarterbacks are drafted in the first round every year...

15 minutes ago, lavaman said:

We can't let one bad week stop us from starting him THIS week, can we?

The horror.

I can. I have 3 flex spots and I am still benching him. Cool story. I hope he goes off though.

23 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

Skill position players attached to bad quarterbacks are drafted in the first round every year...

Name some. Even if there are some, this is a non sequitur justification for starting a 2 down back in an offense that is challenging the Browns for title of "worst in the NFL"

28 minutes ago, TedStriker said:

Latest ESPN blurb says its RBBC but Jones is still in line for the early down work - basically the same setup as the Lions game so it seems like McCarthy hasn't let one game with a negative script affect his role - Montgomery was always going to re-emerge at some point.

Again, no one said this- No. One. - after the Saints game, people were cutting TyMont left and right and the sentiment that was echoed over and over was "this is jones's backfield"

I know revisionist history is the forte of many fantasy players but i'm calling it out when I see it.

Edited by Anteater99