NBC Sports Edge Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, the over reaction in here is getting to a point where it is ridiculous. This was his first bad game folks. Even your studs have stinkers occassionally. You all act like the sky is falling. Anyone who only gets 5 carries is probably going to have a pretty pedestrian stat line. 

This dude is still insanely talented, it didn't disappear in a week. This week they get the Bears one of the worst offenses in the league so the game will be close. On top of that they allow the 8th most fantasy points to opposing running backs.

If you have better options go ahead and start them, but a bounce back is in the cards.

Edited by Dirtywater97
17 minutes ago, Dirtywater97 said:

Alright, the over reaction in here is getting to a point where it is ridiculous. This was his first bad game folks. Even your studs have stinkers occassionally. You all act like the sky is falling. Anyone who only gets 5 carries is probably going to have a pretty pedestrian stat line. 

This dude is still insanely talented, it didn't disappear in a week. This week they get the Bears one of the worst offenses in the league so the game will be close. On top of that they allow the 8th most fantasy points to opposing running backs.

If you have better options go ahead and start them, but a bounce back is in the cards.

Maybe but Jones is the only thing on the offense that is really threatening at all, expect stacks boxes every game from here on out and a very high chance of playing from behind against even the worst offenses because the packers D will just allow any team to score on most drives.

This isn't some established stud we are talking about here this is an unknown guy that splashed into the league hard with two really awesome games, there is game tape on him now, there is no passing threat to account for, and TY is going to be more involved not only as a pass catching back but runner as well with his ribs having had a month to heal up now.  The outlook just ins't looking very good.

15 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

I wasn't implying the experts were wrong. It was common sense that no other packer was startable for the lions game. The point of my post was... Now jones has officially lost that designation. That's what I said. That's my opinion, I've been over this yesterday, some people think he is still startable, and in this offense i want nothing to do with him until he proves otherwise 

"it was common knowledge ty was going to be the third down back" is revisionist history. After aj's blowup in week 7, with ty getting almost no touches and far less than week 6, no.  What you had was a ton of people saying it was aj's backfield.  I don't mean just this thread. I mean the ty thread as well, where a ton of people said they cut him. I don't remember seeing one post after the week 7 game suggesting this was going to be an rbbc. Anywhere. 

And here's my point - it doesn't matter who gets how many touches. It doesn't matter if all those ty owners cut him. No one is startable in this offense. Hope im wrong, and if Hundley has even a passable game I'll be right here apologizing. As it stands the packers are less fantasy relevant than the 49ers because they have Hyde. They are as irrelevant as the Browns. Hope im proven wrong 

Rw blurb writer today called both aj and ty rb2/3's. Does anyone here think any packers rb is capable of a top 24 performance against the bears? What's a stronger word than optimism, other than delusion? 

Very well put but I do have some different opinions. I do still think that Jones is startable.  There is no reason why he couldn't put up comparable numbers as he did against the Saints.  He just needs the touches.  

I also don't think that saying "it was common knowledge ty was going to be the third down back" was revisionist history.  Ty's role in this offense wasn't going to completely disappear because AJ was running away with the job.  To me, AJ is a much better runner while Ty is a much better pass catching RB.  They were and still are going to serve different purposes in this offense.  

Did you really just say the Packers offense is comparable to the Browns?  lol  I just died a little inside..........

6 minutes ago, dre said:

Did you really just say the Packers offense is comparable to the Browns?  lol  I just died a little inside..........

Browns?  Maybe not, more like the Colts.  They are an elite, play-off locked, super-bowl caliber team with their QB.  Without that they are a pile of garbage that can really only beat the worst teams in the league... barely.

On the bright side at least we get to play the browns this season and see who's better.  I wouldn't be very surprised if the Pack loses that game in all honesty.

Edited by Kyle87
1 minute ago, Kyle87 said:

Browns?  Maybe not, more like the Colts.  They are an elite, play-off locked, super-bowl caliber team with their QB.  Without that they are a pile of garbage that can really only beat the worst teams in the league... barely.

On the bright side at least we get to play the browns this season and see who's better.  I wouldn't be very surprised if the Pack loses that game in all honesty.

Man, if they lose to the Browns, I'm finalizing my transition to become a Pats fan.  But then again, if they lose to the Browns, maybe that would help Murphy to see that TT, MM and Capers are clowns and need to go.

1 minute ago, dre said:

Man, if they lose to the Browns, I'm finalizing my transition to become a Pats fan.  But then again, if they lose to the Browns, maybe that would help Murphy to see that TT, MM and Capers are clowns and need to go.

We'll see how the season plays out, I'm hoping at least that Capers finally gets canned after sucking at putting together a respectable defense for... well his entire tenure.  But honestly it currently looks like the organization has just ridden Rodgers coat-tails into winning records, but we'll see how the rest of the season plays out.  3 games against pretty good teams isn't enough for me to cast that judgment yet.

Ramblings of a packer fan.... sorry for the off topic I'll stop now.

Until Hundley can complete a pass or two here and there Jones will face eight in the box. 

The Packers are retards for cutting Bennett; they should be using a two TE formation on every down to draw the LB's into coverage opening up outside running for Jones. I didn't see the Pack attempt this even once last game...WTF

On 11/7/2017 at 11:29 AM, Mikeyvegas said:

Explain?

Whatever CBS tells you to do (if you are unsure) do the opposite.

CBS used to tell you where they made mistakes the previous week... but there are so many now, they don’t bother.

In other words, quoting CBS (other than on stats) isn’t recommended.

45 minutes ago, BrokeLoser said:

Any word on who's been working with the 1st team?

they said it's a committee so i imagine it is both.  but does it really even matter?  last week basically showed that a healthy Monte isn't going to be phased out of the game plan, right now it is going to be games that look like there will be clock killing time Jones will be the better bet and games where they are chasing Monte is the better bet

18 minutes ago, Panthor said:

they said it's a committee so i imagine it is both.  but does it really even matter?  last week basically showed that a healthy Monte isn't going to be phased out of the game plan, right now it is going to be games that look like there will be clock killing time Jones will be the better bet and games where they are chasing Monte is the better bet

Yeah, I guess we still don't really know much...maybe they "tried something new" last week that didn't work and they'll "try something new" this week that may or may not work...who knows. The situation looks to trivial right now to trust anyone.

I'd guess right inline with you....they move into a Ravens type of dynamic...Jones getting early work and Ty in on third and X & long and full time when they're chasing. The question is....who gets the goal line work? Probably Williams...haha 

Edited by BrokeLoser
1 hour ago, BrokeLoser said:

Any word on who's been working with the 1st team?

I did a few twitter searches and read through ryan Wood's twitter feed. Nothing from this week's practice. Last thing regarding the rbs was MM 's comments on the 7th that we all know about already 

12 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

I did a few twitter searches and read through ryan Wood's twitter feed. Nothing from this week's practice. Last thing regarding the rbs was MM 's comments on the 7th that we all know about already 

Yeah...that's all I could find as well.

If it's helpful, here are how fantasy RB's have fared against the Bears this year (receptions not included)

rap9bk.jpg

the Bears have faced some strong rushing attacks in Freeman/Coleman, Leveon, and the Ingram/Kamara duo.

I'm guess most of you are benching Jones, but I don't think it's an easy call. Half the community seems to think Jones has relinquished the lead back role... while ESPN has other thoughts:

"Negative gameflow kept Jones from racking up many carries against the Lions. A matchup against a Chicago offense that has similar quarterback woes to the Packers should keep Green Bay's offensive plans much more in Jones' favor and return him to a double-digit point total."

What are your thoughts? Personally I'm torn between Jones or Alfred Morris... gut says Jones... but he almost seems riskier-- and less likely to fall into the end zone.

P.S. I know ESPN is basically the AOL of fantasy football. Stoked our commish is moving us to Fantrax next year!

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
31 minutes ago, CharlesHustle said:

AJ is gonna make the owners who sit him this week have nightmares for weeks to come.

I hope you're right because I want another startable fantasy asset on my team. But I want no part of the Packers until I see otherwise

On the road against a top 10 pass defense in the rain. I'm confident enough that the gameplan should be to rely on the ground game. Obviously game flow is everything here but I think GB will keep this close enough in a low scoring divisional game to warrant starting Jones if you are desperate. FWIW I'm starting Jones over TY, Gio, R. Smith, Mcfadden in .5 ppr league

7 minutes ago, Anteater99 said:

Not sure how to handicap this, my initial read is that it makes it even more likely the Packers can't pass downfield and the Bears stuff the box even more often. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not sure what it's worth now but...that Saints game where he went for 131yds on 17 carries in rained all day at Lambeau.

He's there best bet for offense and bears are a middle of the road matchup. The main rub for me is that Monty has worked his way back into the picture and Jones whiffed bad on a pass block last week. It does really hurt him in the ppr formats-