Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook


munde53
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, CooL said:

Dang, Ty Montgomery to injured reserve.  This guy got snagged seconds ahead of me.  I think he has the bigger part of an RBBC when he comes back healthy.

Packers don't roll rbbc unless they absolutely have to.  Jones will be the main back.  Also, this montgomery news tells me that Jones is ready to roll. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats to everyone that speculatively pulled the trigger on this add early before the practice and Montgomery news broke. It might not amount to anything and we end up in a RBBC, but Williams is averaging near 3 YPC and appears to do most of his damage through the passing game.

 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jones end up being the early-down, between the tackles runner and Williams sliding in as the COP.

Edited by LongBalls
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Congrats to everyone that speculatively pulled the trigger on this add early before the practice and Montgomery news broke. It might not amount to anything and we end up in a RBBC, but Williams is averaging near 3 YPC and appears to do most of his damage through the passing game.

 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jones end up being the early-down, between the tackles runner and Williams sliding in as the COP.

Williams isn’t much of a runner and every Green Bay rb not named ripkowski will have catches in the box score. Jones is a better rb imo it just seems to be next man up mode 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

Congrats to everyone that speculatively pulled the trigger on this add early before the practice and Montgomery news broke. It might not amount to anything and we end up in a RBBC, but Williams is averaging near 3 YPC and appears to do most of his damage through the passing game.

 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Jones end up being the early-down, between the tackles runner and Williams sliding in as the COP.

Agreed, I think Williams may actually have more value if he is used as the montgomery role. Williams ypc isn’t very appealing but when you figure Bal and Pit were 2 of the 3 teams he got the bulk of his carries against.

Williams other start he averaged 3.4 against @ chi , jones avg 3.8 vs chi earlier, not a huge difference.

I know it’s a “what have you done for me lately” League but I can’t help and go back to this coaching staff essentially choosing Williams over jones out of the gate, they must have saw something.

I have both and hopefully something is cleared up before the playoffs , I’m real thin at rb 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lavaman said:

Debating whether to snag Jones or just stay with Williams. Too bad roster sizes aren't a bit bigger!

 

I dropped a second TE to get him (cook) when the Ty IR news came out.  I don't know what your roster looks like but I really think you have to cut someone to get Jones if you own Williams.  Rodgers sounds like he's coming back, Ty is out of the picture and you want to own this backfield in the playoffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why is everyone so optimistic here?  He'll likely be in a committee situation with Williams, if he hasn't lost the job entirely.  His playoff schedule is very tough.  I'd honestly like to know because he's available as a free agent in my league.

Edited by ccimore
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ccimore said:

Why is everyone so optimistic here?  He'll likely be in a committee situation with Williams, if he hasn't lost the job entirely.  His playoff schedule is very tough.  I'd honestly like to know because he's available as a free agent in my league.

 

Because in a league beset by 3-person RBBC gong shows this guy has one of the clearer paths to relevance out there and he's free. With Montgomery out of the picture it's just Williams and he's just as unproven as Jones. The Packers have absolutely no loyalty to either of them. All you can hope for is Jones outplays Williams and ends up with the primary work.

 

It's a lot more than you'll usually get for free off the wire this time of year. Williams has also done most of his damage in the passing game and looked pretty pedestrian running the ball. I think his longest run to date has been ~12 yards, whereas Jones has ripped off 20+ yard runs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was just about to say the same - Sirmans was already talking about how to get both involved in each game, and Williams has vastly outperformed Jones as a pass-catcher (for PPR formats).  I don’t see Jones returning to his former feature-back role, and I think he won’t be the primary receiver out of the backfield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jones has just looked like the better runner from the moment Ty went down.  The stats back that up as well.  Jones has 5.3 ypc while Williams has 3.2.  Both have 70 rushes on the year.  Recent reports of Jones getting back on the field give me hope that by the time Rodgers is back Jones will be as well.  Sign me up for a talented lead back on an Aaron Rodgers lead team any week.  He could be a great play weeks 15 and 16.  Nothing's guaranteed of course but this is about as rewarding of a late season dice roll as there is.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, bob123dude said:

Jones has just looked like the better runner from the moment Ty went down.  The stats back that up as well.  Jones has 5.3 ypc while Williams has 3.2.  Both have 70 rushes on the year.  Recent reports of Jones getting back on the field give me hope that by the time Rodgers is back Jones will be as well.  Sign me up for a talented lead back on an Aaron Rodgers lead team any week.  He could be a great play weeks 15 and 16.  Nothing's guaranteed of course but this is about as rewarding of a late season dice roll as there is.  

Let’s not forget , In the 6 games jones has seen action , 1 he got hurt and 3 of them Rodgers was the qb. He’s had 2 great games this year against Dal and NO, Rodgers was the qb in the dal game. The only real opportunity Williams has seen is against Chi, Bal, and Pit, all with Hundley at qb, it’s not really comparing “apples to apples”.

I have them both, I’d tap the brakes on anyone who thinks Jones is gonna run away with the job. I hope one of them does 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BRIGUY11 said:

Let’s not forget , In the 6 games jones has seen action , 1 he got hurt and 3 of them Rodgers was the qb. He’s had 2 great games this year against Dal and NO, Rodgers was the qb in the dal game. The only real opportunity Williams has seen is against Chi, Bal, and Pit, all with Hundley at qb, it’s not really comparing “apples to apples”.

I have them both, I’d tap the brakes on anyone who thinks Jones is gonna run away with the job. I hope one of them does 

 You can believe what you want but Jones is the better back.  Williams is solid but Jones has the potential to be special.  He's got that rare vision that Green Bay hasn't seen in a long time.  We're talking Ahman Green days. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

 You can believe what you want but Jones is the better back.  Williams is solid but Jones has the potential to be special.  He's got that rare vision that Green Bay hasn't seen in a long time.  We're talking Ahman Green days. 

Hope your right, I’ve got both of them in a keeper.

I don’t believe Williams is better I’m just throwing it out there that when each one has gotten an opportunity they were in different situations. Jones got significant carries when Rodgers was under center and had the luxury of lighting up Dal and NO ( Hundley was qb for that one). Williams got his significant carries when Hundley was under center and played Chi,Bal and Pit. I’m guessing a rb will typically look better when you either have a hall of fame qb or play powderpuff defenses .

I think the problem is going to be they’ve both showed enough this year to make themselves both irrelevant for fantasy purposes. For dynasty purposes I hope Jones didn’t shoot himself in the foot with the weed incident

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...