NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Aaron Jones 2017 Season Outlook

munde53

To be clear, I’m certainly advocating fitting him onto your roster if at all possible - but I’m also in the “tapping the brakes” camp at the moment.  Williams was more highly regarded coming into the season and his HC had this to say after his most recent performance:

I think Jamaal has proven himself,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “Obviously we played him all three downs. I thought he was excellent in the situational opportunities he had. I would say his numbers the last game reflect that of a feature back.

“I wasn't surprised. You go back to training camp, he was the lead guy in that rookie class, and that was for a reason. I think he's getting more comfortable with doing more things with him. But he's a complete running back.”

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im kind of puzzled reading this. How has williams been good? He had 66 yards on 21 carries last week. Every time Ive watched him he looks like a plodder. He had a couple plays in the passing game but I mean he hasn't really shown anything great besides that. 

Edited by StevenSC400

9 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

Im kind of puzzled reading this. How has williams been good? He had 66 yards on 21 carries last week. Every time Ive watched him he looks like a plodder. He had a couple plays in the passing game but I mean he hasn't really shown anything great besides that. 

Maybe you’re focusing too heavily on the YPC disparity (3.2 vs. 5.3, same sample size).

Reception-wise: 

Jones: 8 for 16

Williams: 13 for 152 and a TD

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Maybe you’re focusing too heavily on the YPC disparity (3.2 vs. 5.3, same sample size).

Reception-wise: 

Jones: 8 for 16

Williams: 13 for 152 and a TD

I mean Im not going to say your wrong. Maybe your right and Im just looking at numbers. But at the end of the day a RB needs to get a better YPC than 3.2. That was also williams best receiving game last week. Outside of that I haven't seen anything special. 

Sure, 3.2 is never what you want from an NFL starting RB.  But taking a cue from your point about the numbers, it’s important to bear in mind two facts.  First, Jones was running with Rodgers under center instead of Brett Hundley.  Saying Rodgers is “better” is like saying that it’s “better” to win the Powerball than it is to correctly guess the Daily Trivia Question at Caribou Coffee and get 10 cents off your coffee purchase.

Second, Jones was running against much softer defenses versus the run.  In fact, Williams has yet to face a favorable run-D matchup.

2 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Sure, 3.2 is never what you want from an NFL starting RB.  But taking a cue from your point about the numbers, it’s important to bear in mind two facts.  First, Jones was running with Rodgers under center instead of Brett Hundley.  Saying Rodgers is “better” is like saying that it’s “better” to win the Powerball than it is to correctly guess the Daily Trivia Question at Caribou Coffee and get 10 cents off your coffee purchase.

Second, Jones was running against much softer defenses versus the run.  In fact, Williams has yet to face a favorable run-D matchup.

Well see how it plays out in the end. Basically I'm just saying that to call him a complete RB based off one good receiving game is a bit of a stretch.

1 hour ago, Tax77 said:

I own both, Im not expecting to be able to start either. Williams always go forwards, Jones has had a couple games falling down in the backfield. 

pretty sure jones is better....packers rushed him back...he got the nod over JW when ty went down the first time...at least the team seems to think jones is better otherwise why would they risk bringing him back as as rookie fresh off a serious knee injury, riddle me that

and oh yeah he's better than tymont too for the butthurt tymont owners

and to my eye AJ looks like a better running back than both the other guys but thats subjective...obviously

Edited by Anteater99

3 hours ago, Anteater99 said:

pretty sure jones is better....packers rushed him back...he got the nod over JW when ty went down the first time...at least the team seems to think jones is better otherwise why would they risk bringing him back as as rookie fresh off a serious knee injury, riddle me that

and oh yeah he's better than tymont too for the butthurt tymont owners

and to my eye AJ looks like a better running back than both the other guys but thats subjective...obviously

Williams was actually the first man up, but he got hurt as well

7 hours ago, BMcP said:

he ran against the saints D which has been alright this year with hundley 

his best game of the year 

9 hours ago, BMcP said:

Nope.  In games Rodgers didn't start Jones is averaging 6.2 ypc and his best game was against the Saints who are a top 10 defense against fantasy RBs this year.  

6 minutes ago, bob123dude said:

Nope.  In games Rodgers didn't start Jones is averaging 6.2 ypc and his best game was against the Saints who are a top 10 defense against fantasy RBs this year.  

The Saints are horrible against the run.  They are 26th in run DVOA. 

32 minutes ago, BRIGUY11 said:

Yep, and that’s the only game without Rodgers he had over 4 ypc, unless you want to count the game he was hurt in where he had 3 carries for 12 yds

The Saints have allowed the 10th fewest points to opposing RBs this year.  By throwing out the Saints game and the Chicago game you're limiting your sample size on Jones starts to one game against the Lions where he went 5 carries for 12 yards.  Shrug.  Interpret everything how you want.  Bottom line I have the most faith that Jones will be the guy when it's all said and done.  

24 minutes ago, StevenSC400 said:

I myself think jones will be the guy too. But we may just be arguing over nothing in the end and this could be a legit 50/50 timeshare. Which would make both worthless on that offense without rodgers.

It won't. Those touting Williams are just expressing wishful thinking.  I watch every Packer game as well and Jones is a better back.  It's not even debatable.  He's faster, has way better vision, and is much better at setting up blockers.  People forget that the oline has been mostly healthy with Williams in the backfield, while Jones was making hay with both of their tackles and a guard out.  

52 minutes ago, iheartrubio said:

It won't. Those touting Williams are just expressing wishful thinking.  I watch every Packer game as well and Jones is a better back.  It's not even debatable.  He's faster, has way better vision, and is much better at setting up blockers.  People forget that the oline has been mostly healthy with Williams in the backfield, while Jones was making hay with both of their tackles and a guard out.  

How is it “not even debatable”?  Even if, for the sake of argument, we accept your statement that Jones is far better, has the fact that Henry has significantly outperformed Murray in Tennessee led to anything other than a timeshare?

Sirmans (RB coach) has already alluded to the notion of implementing a “hot hand” approach on a per-game basis with Jones and Williams alternating series.  Talent doesn’t always equate with opportunity.

The fact that we’re here in this thread debating this question makes it “debatable” by definition.

59 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I was about to respond to those posters

incorrectly claiming the Saints run D was good - but it looks like my fellow members took care of that one for me!

You were still dead wrong about Jones doing his work with A Rodgers under center-

Fortunately, you're all about to find out who is the better back because they'll be in direct competition ROS. Unfortunately, it's very possible neither of them is startable in fantasy. It also sounds like Rodgers will be back in weeks 15 and 16.

Edited by LongBalls